Mayoiga - Lost Village Japanese Release Discussion
10826   94

• Helper

Mayoiga - Lost Villlage Japanese Release Discussion

http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/anime/4/79413.jpg

Synopsis
    A shady bus tour of young men and women are headed to an elusive village called Nanakimura. A destination where people can partake in an utopian existence, free of the world's obstacles... or so goes the rumor.

Heading deep into the mountains, the bus is carrying 30 different individuals, each harboring their own expectations and troubled hearts...

What they had arrived to was an uninhabited village with lingering, faint scents of life and it was falling apart.

Just what is the secret of Nanakimura?

(Source: ANN, edited)

Rules: No Spoilers, No Trolling, No Drama

Post Pics, Have Interesting Discussions, Have Fun!

@Other-Anime

Miss the old style boards? Why not come join us at rebuildofevangelion.org? It's just like the ASMB you remember, just a little more focused on Neon Genesis Evangelion. But we do have an IB of sorts. Come on down!

• Helper

So, the first episode is really more about setting things up, introducing us to the large cast of characters, and establishing mood than anything else. We meet what seems like our MC in Mitsumune, and some of the more interesting characters like Masaki, Hayato (Speedstar), and Lion. As well as the one who seems like the resident a-hole in Valkana. All we really know, is that everyone is heading to this mysterious village in order to get a new start on their problematic lives. They don't go into any real details about the nature of the village itself, or how the tour director even knows where to find it. Just that it's there, the people on this bus are heading there, and you know some bad stuff is gonna go down eventually.

Miss the old style boards? Why not come join us at rebuildofevangelion.org? It's just like the ASMB you remember, just a little more focused on Neon Genesis Evangelion. But we do have an IB of sorts. Come on down!

• Banned

This show looks bad.

Casshern Sins bad.

• Other Anime

Not sure if I'll bother responding each week, but here were my episode 1 thoughts reposted from the what anime are you watching thread, which were reposted there from MAL:

Pretty crazy first episode. Tons of characters thrown at us, and the only one I remember by name is Lion. XD That song was creepy, feels like they're in a cult or something. The bus driver made some decent points...then went crazy. XD We've arrived at our ominous destination. Why do I get the feeling plenty of these characters are gonna get killed off in spectacularly gruesome ways? XD

• Helper

There's a lot of similarities between Mayoiga and a show with a similar feeling and animation style called Another. And since they both have the same director, I'm not surprised.

• Other Anime

Oh I've seen Another, hope someone brought an umbrella. ;)

Also the director also did Shirobako, which was fantastic and also had a very large cast. So that's encouraging.

• Helper

Never saw Shirobako, but I've heard good things. I saw Another as well, and was actually pretty underwhelmed by it. It lost a lot of the initial shock value really quickly and then just coasted to the finish.

I kind of enjoyed Another....but the writing was an awful mess at times.
    Shirobako, on the other hand, is just great.

"What do you mean lower myself? That's the only thing I've ever been. Just a simple human that couldn't save a little girl" -Edward Elric

• Other Anime

Oh Another wasn't good by any stretch, but the gruesome deaths were always fun...except maybe the boat death but then that one wasn't so much gruesome.

In addition to the fantastic Shirobako he also directed the fantastic Prison School, so that's another plus for him. Doesn't mean Mayoiga will be any good of course, but it's enough for me to be hopefully optimistic.

• Helper

Wait, he did Prison School too?

Oh man, now you're starting to get my hopes up. (off topic: we need Prison School Season 2 like yesterday)

• Other Anime

Yup, and yup, though considering how much further things go in the manga's second arc a faithful adaptation would be a challenge.

• Helper

Oh man, now we HAVE to have it.

• Banned

Gaynor79 said:

Oh man, now you're starting to get my hopes up. (off topic: we need Prison School Season 2 like yesterday)

Eh, I'd go for another season of SAO before PS tbh.

Rebucket said:

Gaynor79 said:

Eh, I'd go for another season of SAO before PS tbh.

Figures

"What do you mean lower myself? That's the only thing I've ever been. Just a simple human that couldn't save a little girl" -Edward Elric

• Banned

I wasn't expecting the first episode to have an eerie vibe. Liked that it did make me laugh a few times (intentionally) despite having a bleak atmosphere.

Looks interesting so far.

• Helper

At this early stage, I'm not really sure what to expect of the show. I'm hoping it goes more for suspense and tension rather than over the top shock value gore like Another did.

• Banned

It's only listed as "Drama, Mystery", so I'm not really expecting too much gore. I was just surprised they had a horror-esque angle for the first episode.

• Helper

With this big a cast, and some of the personalities, you have to imagine that someone's gonna die at some point.

• Banned

Certainly, especially with how many times death came up this episode. Unless (possible spoilers, all theory though)

the town is some kind of afterlife (vacant roads, nobody seems to exist :outside of the cast even at the stops, but the girl at the end does put a hole in the theory I was going for - unless she and the tour guide are reapers of some sort), I'm expecting some deaths.

Personally, I'm rooting for a little cannibalism.

• Other Anime

So, are they people on the bus not already dead?

XBL: TakenIdiot (Destiny & The Division)
    PSN: ishikusui (Overwatch & Destiny)
    t/ @ishikusui

• Banned

I'm hoping they aren't since that would probably be a late-series "twist" reveal, but wouldn't be much of a surprise.

I'd rather watch things turn to shit for still living people, then cannibalism.