Summer Anime 2016
1960   21

• Other Anime

It's week 6 of the Spring Anime season, and thus the halfway point of the season has arrived. So let's now look ahead to Summer! The lists:

MAL
    Live Chart
    Ani Chart

So what, if any, shows does everyone plan on watching? Here are my picks and brief thoughts/expectations:

NEW:

1.) Alderamin on the Sky - I read some of the manga for this awhile back. I liked it, but a few characters really bugged me so I put it on hold. I did read spoilers that interested me about later events but the anime may not get to that point.

2.) Amaama to Inazuma - A widowed teacher raises his young daughter while learning cooking from a student. The manga is fantastic. Cute, moving, it will be a strong show no doubt. One of two food focused shows this season. Bonus points for casting the young girl who played Naru's best friend Hina in Barakamon as Tsumugi.

3.) Amanchu! - I'm expecting relaxing slice of life goodness here. It looks to be visually stunning as well.

4.) Ange Vierge - Not expecting much from this. Apparently it's card game based, but the cute girls interest me. XD

5.) Bananya - It's a f**king cat/banana hybrid! Anime of the season confirmed! XD

6.) The Disaster of PSI Kusuo Saiki - It took a long time for this comedy from Weekly Shonen Jump to get an anime as it has over 150 chapters and is still going. I read the first 30 chapters and...pretty good. I liked the gags involving the mc's parents best of all.

7.) Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma, Season 2 - The season's other cooking show. I enjoyed season one enough to catch up to the manga. I only hope this goes 2 cours like season one did. There's plenty to adapt for it.

8.) Handa-kun - The prequel to my pick for 2014's best anime, Barakamon. We follow handsome, young calligrapher Seishu Handa in High School, before he met Naru and the other island dwellers. And there in lies this prequel begun after the original's biggest weakness: No Naru. I'm sure it will still be good. I've read a bit of it, but it won't equal Barakamon. Frankly I wish that got a season two instead. There's more than enough material for one.

9.) Hatsukoi Monster - An absurd premise but could be interesting. The art style screams shoujo, which I don't watch very often.

10.) The Heroic Legend of Arslan, Season 2 - Arslan returns this summer for a quick, 8 episode run. Why only 8? The other 4 weeks are reserved for something else which I'll mention below. I enjoyed Arslan when I finally finished it recently, but how much can we get done in just 8 weeks?

11.) Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! - A school comedy about an art club with hints of romance? Sign me up! XD

12.) Masou Gakuen HxH - Pure ecchi goodness. Fully expect lotsa t and a style fanservice full of raunchy hentai-light scenarios.

13.) New Game! - Cute girls making video games! I'm loving the manga and no doubt will love this.

14.) Okusama ga Seitokaichou!+ - Season 2 of the raunchy short series. I'm caught up with the manga, still good for a few minutes each week.

15.) Orange - I'm watching this acclaimed dramatic series based on hype alone, which concerns me. As does the premise. I hope I enjoy it.

16.) Qualidea Code - An action series involving magic and...yeah. Don't know much about it.

17.) Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars - See above.

18.) ReLIFE - An interesting premise with an annoying twist or two from the 50 or so chapters I read before shelving it. Can the anime reignite my passion for it?

19.) Rewrite - I know little about this aside from what I've read via the fanbase, who reminds me of the fanbase from the Grisaia franchise, which I enjoyed. They seem pumped and expect multiple cours.

20.) Servamp - See my thoughts for Hatsukoi Monster. XD

21.) The Seven Deadly Sins: Signs of Holy War - Sharing it's timeslot with Arslan, the Seven Deadly Sins returns for a quick 4 episode run this August. Why 4? Season one adapted the roughly 100 chapter first arc. Arc 2 isn't done yet as we're only around 75 chapters after that. I've read these anime-only stories will serve as a buffer between the arcs and were written by the author. My opinions on how much I love the first arc and dislike the second arc(especially early on where these episodes will occur chronologically) are well documented. So sadly, excepting any possible Diane x King cuteness, my expectations are tempered for this.

22.) Taboo Tattoo - I read nearly the first dozen manga chapters last year. It was decent, but I felt like it was gonna get worse later on so I shelved it. I intended to read further before the adaptation began but haven't been able to bring myself to do it. Hope the anime can rekindle my interest.

ON-GOING:

1.) Dragon Ball Super
    2.) One Piece - the 2 Toei shonen staples.

So that's it. 24 shows for me is a lot, though a couple have odd episode counts and some will no doubt be shorts.

• Banned

BUT SPRING ANIME JUST STARTED!

• Other Anime

Six weeks ago! XD Might be hard to believe but time flies.

I've posted these threads around six weeks in the past several seasons now. ;)

• ShoeHands

Meh.

Looks like a whole lot of nothing to watch.

Is it just me or has Anime really just taken a big swing for the worst lately? just doesnt seem like theres to many good shows.

A few seasons ago we had some real quality with shows like Death Parade, Assassination Classroom, and Kekkai Sensen. Now......just meh. Seems that way for a while now.

I could never lie to you, You're like the greatest pot smoking republican hippie I know.-1POOH4U

• Other Anime

It's not just you. Literally every new season seems like the worst ever to alotta fans. Mind you I don't agree whatsoever.

Nah man this season has been pretty bomb.
    its got jojo, hero Academy, 2 shows by Trigger.... Iono about next season, but this one isnt half bad.

The professor sat down, utterly defeated by the young man's overwhelming brilliance.
    That young man’s name?
    Albert Einstein.

• Other Anime

Berserk (2016) About damn time!
    Danganronpa 3
    Handa-kun
    D.Gray-man Hallow
    Fudanshi Koukou Seikatsu
    Hatsukoi Monster
    ReLIFE
    Rewrite
    Orange Been waiting for this!
    Arslan Senki: Fuujin Ranbu

But I will try a few others.

Every little piece in your life will mean something to someone.

• Other Anime

Well I didn't say every single fan was like that or anything. XD

• Other Anime

News relevant to this topic:

Seven Deadly Sin's brief return begins August 28th. So effectively 2 months of Arslan followed by a month of Seven Deadly Sins to close out the season.

• SwimSage Banned

I will definitely watch Arslan, that is one of the only new shows I've watched besides One Punch Man(which was decent but overrated imo, I enjoyed Arslan more). Will likely check out Beserk and maybe whatever that D. Gray Man show is. Not really sure about the others.

UncivillyPandaKa said:

its got jojo, hero Academy, 2 shows by Trigger.... Iono about next season, but this one isnt half bad.

You should give Re:Zero a shot. The first ep is a double episode, so give it through the second half. Currently, it's easily the best of the season, as far as I've seen. Possibly best of the year so far.

OP:
    Orange sounds interesting, so I'll try that.
    Might give the new Berserk a shot despite the animation choice
    DR3, because I really want it to be better than the first game's adaption, not putting much excitement into it beforehand though.

Might pick up other things based on recs, that's all that looked interesting to me at the moment.

• SwimSuperFan

The only things on that list i might look into is 91 days, which looks like it might be an interesting action series; Amaama to Inazuma, which looks like it might be a cute little series; Amanchu, which might be a cute series; and Qualidea Code, which might be an alright action show.

I'm more interested in seeing a Fall 2016 schedule. I'm hoping/praying for Steins;gate 0 to be released then, also Fate/SN Heaven's Feel.

Bush did 9/11

Oh, I thought I missed something. Might check out 91 Days, as well.

I AM SO PUMPED FOR AMANCHU!!!!

And I'll def check out Orange and continue with Seven Deadly Sins.

I didn't even look at the chart yet. I'll check it out later when I'm not being lazy.

Nothing new really caught my eye. And the only thing I've seen before that I would continue is Show by Rock. I'll revisit this later.

• Other Anime

Brief update/correction: Okusama ga Seitokaichou Season 2 will, in fact, air in the fall. So scratch that from my Summer list. XD

You had me at Bananya

Even if you are a puritan it would be all right
    If you join the lovers in their ruined house tonight.
    It’s good if you become a soul and then disappear.

• Other Anime

• Other Anime

Bananya
    Berserk
    Danganronpa 3
    Amanchu
    Handa-kun
    Love Live Sunshine
    Whatever else looks alright

Muscle, muscle! Hustle, hustle!

• Banned

naraku360 said:

UncivillyPandaKa said:

You should give Re:Zero a shot. The first ep is a double episode, so give it through the second half. Currently, it's easily the best of the season, as far as I've seen. Possibly best of the year so far.

OP:
    Orange sounds interesting, so I'll try that.
    Might give the new Berserk a shot despite the animation choice
    DR3, because I really want it to be better than the first game's adaption, not putting much excitement into it beforehand though.

Might pick up other things based on recs, that's all that looked interesting to me at the moment.

Watching Re:Zero, and yeah I think it's the best of the season. It's rare that I actually anticipate the next episode coming out so I can see what happens but this show is doing it.

• IB

bump 2 move