What Books/Etc. Are You Reading?
6315   62

• Helper

As in, what are you reading that isn't manga or comics?

Maybe we can get some good discussion going here. God knows my coursework drives me nuts sometimes.

Post what you're currently reading. Opinions, discussion... whatever's good.

Recently, I've read some lyrical ballads from Wordsworth, which were good. Then I read his Preface to Lyrical Ballads, which made me hate him. Boring.

I also read Poe's The Raven, which is well-known, but still good. Philosophy of Composition, though, was a bore. Nothing about composing poems is interesting to me at all. In fact, hardly any poems resonate with me, period. I guess I'm just not a fan.

As for actual books, last weekend I read Frankenstein, the original 1818 version. Really good book. Very haunting.

Actually, I'm reading quite a bit of the Old Testament for my class on the Hebrew Bible. Most of Genesis, and a lot of stuff from the other four books of the Torah.

PS4/WiiU: BRS-BeastX
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/CC-Kallen
    Original registration: 7/13/2008; 49,900 posts

• IB

I've been going over the Tao te Ching a lot.
    Seems like every time I read it there's some new subtlety of meaning between the lines.
    Lao Tzu is way less boring than Confucius in my opinion.

"Anything longer than an emoticon is just hot air."
    ~DarksidexXx

Nightmares & Dreamscapes- Stephen King

900+ page paperback.
    a little over 300 pages into it.
    taking my time with it. it seems.

rain in my dreams

bazaar of bad dreams ~ king

we are all caught in the wordbox
    Way to go, asshole, now we're careening off into space and will definitely die. -.- ~ perfy

• SwimPunk

Choke: Chuck Palahniuk.

Stupid.

• Banned

The Selection by Kierra Cass.

I just finished the last 50 shades book. Was not impressed.

Remembrance of Things Past vol. 1 (Proust)
    I was reading this on breaks at work, but I haven't had one since December, so I need to think of a new plan otherwise I'm going to be stuck on this book forever. I like it tho, so that's something. Need to start buying the next volumes.
    One of my favorite parts has been the "jokes". Irritatingly subtle moments of humor, killing me. I can't read them to people, because they take course over an entire paragraph.

The Illustrated Man (Bradbury)
    I couldn't sleep last night, so I just read this again. (I wasn't sure I was lucid to follow along with Proust). Still a favorite.

• Toonami Banned

The fox effect by David Brock

Waking means I've slept, and sleep dissolves what certainty I have left - Johnny the Homicidal Maniac

• SwimLegend

what's a booook?

Oh bother...

• Beast Master

inu_is_best said:

I was reading this on breaks at work, but I haven't had one since December, so I need to think of a new plan otherwise I'm going to be stuck on this book forever. I like it tho, so that's something. Need to start buying the next volumes.
    One of my favorite parts has been the "jokes". Irritatingly subtle moments of humor, killing me. I can't read them to people, because they take course over an entire paragraph.

I couldn't sleep last night, so I just read this again. (I wasn't sure I was lucid to follow along with Proust). Still a favorite.

Proust!

I've read the first five... Or maybe four. Definitely need to get back and finish it up, but its just so much to take in. So much nothingness too.

Aye swimae.

• Thunder Goddess

Peter Stanford's The Devil: A Biography, and And Patrick McManus's The Night the Bear Ate Goombah.

“None of us are saints.” – Albert Fish
    "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" -- Stephen Wright

• Beast Master

Also,

Redemption Song by Craig Schaeffer

And forever working my way through Rising Up and Rising Down by William T Vollman. That's a book(s) that will punch you in the brain. Hard.

I had also started Slade House, but am so distracted by everything I've npt gotten past the first 20 or so pages. Shame too, it is pretty neat so far.

Aye swimae.

770312 said:

inu_is_best said:

Proust!

I've read the first five... Or maybe four. Definitely need to get back and finish it up, but its just so much to take in. So much nothingness

They are distressingly large! I keep getting scared it's going to bust through the bottom of my work purse, because it's so old and the book is so heavy.

Thankfully, I'm into extended tangents in general, otherwise I would be struggling. Definitely have to be willing to just go along with it, like, "now you're going to describe the walk you took as a child for twenty pages....yeah, I'm down, go for it".
    Honestly, I've been pleasantly surprised by how not boring and actually enjoyable reading this has been. I mean, That's Why It's A Classic and all, but there have definitely been waaay less long form novels that are just dull as the dirt they spent five pages describing.

• Beast Master

Yes! Its just so beautiful and evocative that no matter the topic, it pulls you along almost whistfully.

Ah. I need to get back to it.

I need to get back to investing time in books again. Last year I only reaf around 30. =(

Aye swimae.

• Helper

Last_Words said:

I've been going over the Tao te Ching a lot.
    Seems like every time I read it there's some new subtlety of meaning between the lines.
    Lao Tzu is way less boring than Confucius in my opinion.

I've had to read some Confucius for a class. I appreciate the simple ideas he has, because it's less stuff to have to remember. XD

PS4/WiiU: BRS-BeastX
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/CC-Kallen
    Original registration: 7/13/2008; 49,900 posts

• Other Anime

Post-Cinematic Affect by Steven Shaviro
    The Cinematic Society by Norman Denzin
    S/Z by Roland Barthes

Muscle, muscle! Hustle, hustle!

• SwimSuperFan

Books are for squares

Like pants

• Swimuminati

Zealot: The life and times of Jesus of Nazareth by Reza Aslan

I wanted to see what all the fuss was about

• Swimuminati

God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
    by Christopher Hitchens

am I smilin enough? am I smilin too much? am I tucked in and buckled, do my tits touch? hi, how are you, how high are you?
    less teeth and more tits its never enough. you'll never be good enough.

• Helper

Monster and about to start Tokyo Ghoul.... Oh wait, no mangas. :D

Currently re-reading slowly all the Heralds of Valdemar books and anthologies. They've been a staple on my bookcase for decades but I need the public space so I'm reading them and then packing them away for now.

Feast of Crows. I'd be through it if I actually sat down with it but I usually read it while in waiting rooms since the chapters are so short and self-contained it's an easy book to stop at a spot in.

I have a stack of books on Norse mythology that I'm planning on going through fairly soon as well.

I tend to have a number of books on multiple topics going at the same time so that I have something for whatever mood I'm in right within easy reach.

...they said i'd live forever, but they lied...it's been much longer...
    Cheerful Supplier of Chaos throughout the Known Universe and Beyond...we now have WTF...
    [this pathetic cry for attention has been brought to you by the letters F, U and the number 2]

What's a book?

Actually I found some of my old childhood books in a trunk recently. I donated a lot of the garbage books to goodwill but kept the good stuff. Shel Silverstein, Roald Dahl, A.A. Milne, Tolkein, etc. Should be nice to flip through them again.