Why did they call it the Boondocks
440   10

• Special Snowflake

Was there a more creative reason than a rich white neighborhood was the opposite of actually living in the boondocks?

• Banned

I wouldn't expect you to understand but the irony of the name Boondocks stems from the fact that Huey and the fam are from the inner city, so an isolated, whitewahsed town full of ignorant white people is the boondocks to them....... full of ass backwards ass people. These rich white folk are just as stupid as podunk rednecks.....Get it now?

You're welcome

• SwimPunk Banned

Reference to the suburbs

• Banned

Boondocks tries way too hard to be anime tho.

• Banned

Not until it came to TV and McGruder had it animated in Korea....Or was it China....Either way, the comic was topical but the cartoon had to appeal to the dregs of AS so it took an integrity hit.

• Banned

Liek I said trying so hard to be Afro Samurai.

• Banned

• SwimLegend

PsychoticCyberBully said:

I wouldn't expect you to understand but the irony of the name Boondocks stems from the fact that Huey and the fam are from the inner city, so an isolated, whitewahsed town full of ignorant white people is the boondocks to them....... full of ass backwards ass people. These rich white folk are just as stupid as podunk rednecks.....Get it now?

You're welcome

I'm hella bored, so.....

I decided to look up the slang term "boondocks" and apparently it's derived from tagalog, the word "bundok" or "mountain," and something of an equivalent to our stylized version of Appalachia. So, in a metaphorical sense, the slang could accurately refer not just to people who are isolated, but people who are somehow also in that kind of no-man's-land between the valley dwellers (where there are cities) and the elite on top of the mountain looking down on everyone else. In that respect, McGruder's title for his strip can be a (1) somewhat ironic contrast between the gentrified suburbs and actual isolation, (2) a reference to Huey's perception of the backward nature of his white neighbors, and (3) and a reference to the tenuous nature of life for a black man in a decidedly unstructured world.

09/13/03

• Assy McGee Banned

Stop over-analyzing things. Everyone knows the boonies to be that nearby middle of nowhere. For a black family moving out to the white suburbs is like a form of isolation.

• Special Snowflake

PsychoticCyberBully said:

You're welcome

My phone wouldn't reply to anything earlier.

Why wouldn't I get it?

Because I can blend in?