does reading the book of 5 rings make me a weeb?
496   22

• Banned

I own 6 different translations. And have the whole thing memorized.

:|

"I'm moving and not moving at all. I'm like the moon underneath the waves that ever go on rolling and rocking."

• Thunder Goddess

I think it depends on why you read it.

β€œNone of us are saints.” – Albert Fish
    "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" -- Stephen Wright

• Banned

Are you getting any inspiration from it?

• Banned

mthor said:

I think it depends on why you read it.

I am obsessed with the guy and the legend. Not necessarily the rest of the jap culture. And its a fun book to read and contemplate.

"I'm moving and not moving at all. I'm like the moon underneath the waves that ever go on rolling and rocking."

• Banned

kill-joy70 said:

Yeah.

I'm thinking of cleaning my room tomorrow.

• SwimParagon

Which languages do you have, and how many can you read?

"I feel like I should be banning way more of you." -- SwimMod_Luuv

• Banned

PerfectFlowingHair said:

I mean they are all English Translations. I can't read 2 words of Jap.

The Thomas Cleary version,
    Wilson Scott Wilson, and the biography
    The acclaimed and hated Kaufman version.
    and the literaly shambala version

• Banned

Phillies29 said:

kill-joy70 said:

Yeah.

Umm, not quite what i meant. I got a friend who credits that book with helping him achieve his position at his job. I use some of the philosophy from the book in how i handle stressful situations. I mean the guy did kill 70 trained samurai in one night, he could handle stressful situations.

• SwimParagon

Phillies29 said:

PerfectFlowingHair said:

I mean they are all English Translations. I can't read 2 words of Jap.

The Thomas Cleary version,
    Wilson Scott Wilson, and the biography
    The acclaimed and hated Kaufman version.
    and the literaly shambala version

Awh. Well.. jeez. Think the only other book someone would have a bunch of translations of is the Holy Bible.

"I feel like I should be banning way more of you." -- SwimMod_Luuv

• Banned

kill-joy70 said:

Phillies29 said:

kill-joy70 said:

Yeah.

Umm, not quite what i meant. I got a friend who credits that book with helping him achieve his position at his job. I use some of the philosophy from the book in how i handle stressful situations. I mean the guy did kill 70 trained samurai in one night, he could handle stressful situations.

It was more like 90. And he didn't get his left shoulder pierced with an arrow... he actually caught it in mid air and threw it back at the guy who fired it, killing him. Also thats not a joke thats the truth.

• Toonami Banned

I'm going to argue no, because the topic is a treatise on war and combat, physical and mental. If it was standard weeb schlock, yes, but the book has been required reading from businessmen to armies. It's more self help and less Japanophilic bullshit.

Soldier hold your sword high...
    Swing it like a Samurai...
    Now don't get all out of pride...
    From the Afro Samurai...

• Banned

Phillies29 said:

kill-joy70 said:

Phillies29 said:

kill-joy70 said:

Yeah.

It was more like 90. And he didn't get his left shoulder pierced with an arrow... he actually caught it in mid air and threw it back at the guy who fired it, killing him. Also thats not a joke thats the truth.

Even Japanese people don't buy that number. And they believe he might have ambushed Saseki Kojiro to win that duel.

• Banned

kill-joy70 said:

Phillies29 said:

kill-joy70 said:

Phillies29 said:

kill-joy70 said:

Yeah.

Even Japanese people don't buy that number. And they believe he might have ambushed Saseki Kojiro to win that duel.

I think he was just playing pokemon on the boat while Koji sat out in the hot sun.

Also it doesn't seem like any of the his rivals understood spiritual enlightenment judging by the emptyness scroll. So it was all a joke to him.

• Banned

Doesn't seem likely. The movie set the duel at the end of the day, but the actual monument to the fight is on the eastern shore. For Musashi to have blinded Kojiro with the sun he would have to had come from the western shore......but story was he came from the east, that means sunrise.

• Banned

So what do you think happened? he was waiting in the weeds and literally back stabbed the guy?

• Banned

He did make Kojiro wait, but he was also an impatient man so we don't know how long Musashi had him waiting.

Well we do know, he waited to fight Musashi for a half a year. πŸ˜‚

I think Musashi used his assistant to make a distraction then bashed Kojiro in the head with his modified boat oar.

• Banned

Of course.

[REMOVED TO CONFORM WITH LOCAL AND INTERNATIONAL CENSORSHIP LAWS]

• Banned

you mr.trooly pants just think everyone who posts on catroon message boards that likes the action folder, is a weeb.
    so your opinion doesn't count here. show of hands please? anyone think BNMJY's opinions counts? anyone ?

• Banned

lol

If you want my honest opinion on the topic, no. And I consider most people here to be more of an otaku than a weeaboo.

• Banned

bnmjy said:

lol

If you want my honest opinion on the topic, no. And I consider most people here to be more of an otaku than a weeaboo.

whats the diff?

• Banned

Phillies29 said:

bnmjy said:

lol

whats the diff?

Many people do use the two words interchangeably. I believe a distinction should be made. Otaku are just obsessive fans of anime and manga, though the word otaku can be used to other concepts e.g. guns, trains, planes, computer, etc.. Weeaboos are a type of otaku who wish to be Japanese and live in Japan. They're usually teenagers.

It's just fun to be a douche and call any anime fan a weeaboo.