How do I keep my cat away from wires?
1364   46

My kitty is a ball of excitement.
    Its not that bad, but the only thing that I mind is her messing with my electric wires.
    I try to use the loud noise to scare her away, but it stopped working... Shes too curious.

I worry she might get a shock or something!
    Any recommendations?

The professor sat down, utterly defeated by the young man's overwhelming brilliance.
    That young man’s name?
    Albert Einstein.

• IB

cages.

whatevah..

Never!

The professor sat down, utterly defeated by the young man's overwhelming brilliance.
    That young man’s name?
    Albert Einstein.

alt text

"What do you mean lower myself? That's the only thing I've ever been. Just a simple human that couldn't save a little girl" -Edward Elric

• SwimComrad

I wish I had an answer. My cat is actually very careful about not knocking things over or bumping into things that might obviously be an issue, so I never really had to teach him to avoid things like knocking a wire out of a plug or anything.
    He also just never chewed on wires.

Guitar strings are one of his favorite things ever though...

alt text

Its not so much knocking them over as much as nibbling on the rubber lining of the cords.
    I personally dont mind... But i worry for her safety.

That young man’s name?
    Albert Einstein.

• Banned

Curiousity killed the cat.

Just find some way to block the wires, I guess. I don't think you can do anything else.

[REMOVED TO CONFORM WITH LOCAL AND INTERNATIONAL CENSORSHIP LAWS]

• Banned

Squirt bottle?

• Babbling

Squirt water on her.

• SwimComrad

Aside from just covering them with something until she gets bigger and can't reach them if they're between like, a TV stand and the wall or something, I'm not really sure.

Maybe water bottle and stern "no"

That only works for my cat for like 3 days though if he does something he knows he's not supposed to do

alt text

So I got 3 squirt bottle replies, Ill answer them all here.

1. I dont wanna use the bottle training method... She might learn to fear me rather than love me
    2. Its like... Right next to my wires and power plugs! I worry more about getting the wires than anything.
    3. I dont have a squirt bottle.

That young man’s name?
    Albert Einstein.

• Babbling

Spit on her.

• Banned

You're cat isn't going to get shocked.

If it does, which it won't, then it will learn not to do that again

• Babbling

Just kidding a cat won't hate you for using a squirt bottle. She'll hate you if you hit her.

• Assy McGee Banned

Nah, the bottle training thing is fine. Just aim well. The other method is to smear tobasco sauce on the cords she chews.

• SwimPunk Banned

It's a cat

• Banned

They don't really mind the person as much as the item. Like how she wasn't scared of you over the loud noises.

Like, my cats are scared of vacuums and if they see it about to get used, they recognize that as scary, but they aren't really afraid of the people who use it. Might run away for a while, but they get over it pretty fast, and that's much scarier than a water bottle.

The only chance of water setting off a shock is if you have exposed wires. If they're plugged in and the metal parts are showing, she wouldn't need water to get zapped and you need those cords replaced. If they're not plugged in, no electricity going through to shock her in the first place.

• IB

meh everyone likes cats right.. me too, but I hate

that society afords them so much freedom as a "pet"

it's ridiculous.. It makes me want to go up to a cat owner

and say oh I'm sorry your cat has a stub.. MY trained dog

don't leave his yard, but whatever comes on my lot is fair

game.. at least it should be.. sorry he's a little bit stubby

now.. My dogs were raised around G cats to.. but there

used to backing up cats like a 15 year old siamese that

honestly don't leave her damn yard, has no front claws,

and prolly has to deal with your damn tom cat on a regular

basis.

whatevah..

• Banned

UncivillyPandaKa said:

So I got 3 squirt bottle replies, Ill answer them all here.

1. I dont wanna use the bottle training method... She might learn to fear me rather than love me
    2. Its like... Right next to my wires and power plugs! I worry more about getting the wires than anything.
    3. I dont have a squirt bottle.

Do u want kitty to fry? How she gonna love you then?

My cat is like less than 3 months old.
    Im still teaching her the ropes.
    She has the freedom of the place I live cuz its rather small.
    Its not like shes knocking all the shit over and im giving her a treat for it.

That young man’s name?
    Albert Einstein.

Humm...
    Ill consider getting a bottle then.
    I need to get a lot of secondary supplies for her anyway.

That young man’s name?
    Albert Einstein.