Land around San Adreas fault is rising and sinking
558   19

• Helper

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-san-andreas-fault-20160622-snap-story.html

This is one of those stories that just smacks of fear-mongering. Yes, there could be a large earthquake, but if you house is built to current code, you will probably be alright.

buys beachfront property in Arizona....

The probability that we may fail in the struggle aught not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just. -Abraham Lincoln

• ShoeHands

There is always a danger of "the big one"

Thats kinda what happens when you live near a giant freaking fault line.

Then again, maybe San Adreas wasnt a movie but a PSA warning us what was coming............

I could never lie to you, You're like the greatest pot smoking republican hippie I know.-1POOH4U

• Helper

I live near a substantial fault line now. There is one that runs near the Ohio river valley, I'm certainly within range of it.
    It is like people who live near Yellowstone, or Mt. St. Helens. You could wake up and be blown up by a volcano. You could also win the lottery on a Sunday drawing. Equal chance of both.

Dun worry Cali, The Rock will save you.

The probability that we may fail in the struggle aught not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just. -Abraham Lincoln

• Banned

Yeah, the entire crust of the earth rises and falls due to plate tectonics. If you're gonna be afraid of that you might as well buy that property on the moon.

• Assy McGee Banned

TOP STORY!!!: SLOW NEWS DAY AT THE LA TIMES

• Helper

Jingai said:

I live near a substantial fault line now. There is one that runs near the Ohio river valley,

new madrid? yeah, if that one pops off proper, my town could very well be flattened.

• Banned

Good thing it's likely not to.

Yeah, it does that.

It's the f**king San Andreas fault.

• Helper

Well, it has been awhile since California had a decent shake. But as for the land actually rising and falling, I'm not surprised in the least. I thought scientists were already well aware that the earth has sections that 'breathe' a bit especially along the faults.

goes to watch 2012

...they said i'd live forever, but they lied...it's been much longer...
    Cheerful Supplier of Chaos throughout the Known Universe and Beyond...we now have WTF...
    [this pathetic cry for attention has been brought to you by the letters F, U and the number 2]

• Babbling

Radiotsar, One Warped Vision, Charity Navigator
    Перший в стіну, коли революція іде!

• SwimComrad

why don't we just dig up the san andreas fault and move it somewhere else

alt text

• Helper

Star_Wolf said:

California needs it in California for movie plotlines. Duh.

...they said i'd live forever, but they lied...it's been much longer...
    Cheerful Supplier of Chaos throughout the Known Universe and Beyond...we now have WTF...
    [this pathetic cry for attention has been brought to you by the letters F, U and the number 2]

• Banned

Star_Wolf said:

The fault itself is a visible border between the Pacific plate and the North American plate and Los Angeles isn't actually on the North American plate. So your plan involves relocating an entire city.

• Toonami Banned

Californians must be pissing into the fault lines like they do on light poles. Haven't they ever heard of a toilet?

Star_Wolf said:

https://youtu.be/3d_4YjaCGcc?t=91&end=161

I'm glad I live in a good state where a megaquake can never ever happen.

It's great when you enjoy things.

• Banned

Jingai said:

I live near a substantial fault line now.

I don't know if Indianan trailer mom ass cracks count.

• SwimPirate

Welp living on the San Andreas fault, I just want to say, it was nice knowing you all, I hope I survive long enough for Dwanye the Rock Johnson to save me.

"You know what they say: "If they're not inflatable they're not datable" :cool: :ballon: - TrigunBebop
    "You haven't Idealized Mankind, you've deformed it, you've mutilated it, and that's the real joke" - Nightowl