All things considered, this forum is pretty active post-lithium.
1016   31

• IB Banned

More active than it was before? Idk, I can't tell because there's no f**king stat page like

EVERY OTHER FORUM IN THE WORLD HAS.

The Hound.
    @Naraku4656 said:
    > IB's last thread was by Viperslayer

The professor sat down, utterly defeated by the young man's overwhelming brilliance.
    That young man’s name?
    Albert Einstein.

• IB

way less active than the LIthium board.

but - for better or worse, they can't seem to kill this place even when they're trying.

I can't help but wonder if they hadn't launched with such a dumbass layout, with basically something that more resembled the old boards, how much audience retention we'd have had.

Certainly I think there still would have been issues. But I think most would have been much smaller with a sensible nav, and/or familiar layout.

Like, if we'd launched this board anchored to categories page, with the categories we have now, I think it would have been much easier to deal with, a much smoother transition, and we would have retained a lot more users.

Basically we're sort of lucky that we're allowed now to slowly move in that direction.

I do a weekly stats thing for Helpers, and it seems to have leveled out at about 100 users a week (give or take).

Posts/Threads/etc goes up and down but not to any gigantic extent.

We may get a few of those back if we ever transition to a more sensible nav, and suchlike. But it's harder to get them back, because the only real way to do that is for them to check in.

Otherwise, I actually had a thing I was going to do after the new boards launched to try to bring in more traffic.

But - given just the utterly shitty board we have atm, and how difficult it is for new users to use, etc, I hesitate to embark upon that only to have anybody that might check it out just hang for a few minutes, try to post, check out our single post stream, and then leave without looking back.

We need to have a sensible nav and structure, an obvious "post topic" button everywhere (not just on the "home" page), we need to be anchored on Categories, with a link on every page to recent threads, and we have to find a way to allow noobs to post more easily instead of having to wait to post, maybe clean up the rep system.

THEN I can see trying to get the word out maybe.

• IB Banned

Everytime you post about this matter it just pisses me off knowing I know what features you see in the control panel (Most of them).

All of our issues are literally button presses away.
    I'm so lost. I don't get your manager's intentions at all.

I can't help but wonder if they hadn't launched with such a dumbass layout, with basically something that more resembled the old boards, how much audience retention we'd have had.

Like I seriously don't even know how to reply to this. None of you would have ever dared posting something like this as a Mod back on Lithium.

The Hound.
    @Naraku4656 said:

Luvv is the last real mod here.
    The last herald of a dying time, in a falling world.
    There is nothing to lose anymore.

The professor sat down, utterly defeated by the young man's overwhelming brilliance.
    That young man’s name?
    Albert Einstein.

• IB Banned

UncivillyPandaKa said:

Luvv is the last real mod here.
    The last herald of a dying time, in a falling world.
    There is nothing to lose anymore.

Luuv should just be Admin.

The Hound.
    @Naraku4656 said:

I believe in you, Luuv.

Someday... this board will flourish.

That would prolong the life of this place.
    I think Luvv, without directly saying it, is saying they WANT this place dead.
    They WANT all of us to go away.
    If they made Luvv admin, they would keep people here longer.
    its probably more expensive to keep this place running than the money it gets from ads.
    God knows many of us use adblock.
    Every day I click in here, im shocked to see it still around.
    I honestly wouldnt be shocked if one day I clicked here, its a 404 or some sort of AS ad or someshit like that.

That young man’s name?
    Albert Einstein.

Last Action Hero 2

• IB Banned

The Hound.
    @Naraku4656 said:

• IB

We've always said stuff like this.

• IB

Perseus and Raijin and Luna are also real mods.

If anything, I'm kind of a bad mod for making all this noise.

but basically we'll get where we need to be. It's just inevitable. Because - the ASMB isn't like - other website content. It's virtually 100% interactive and way more sensitive to what those people want.

Similar to content in that - if people don't like it, they won't click it.

But a bit more interactive in that - the actual "content" is user generated. So it's way more important to make it easier on a message board for users to generate their own content and control their own experience.

That's where they went most wrong. Is - they tossed all the notes out the window and just made personalized aesthetic decisions on what the board should be without any particular consideration seemingly for the people who use it and/or generate the content for it.

• IB

It's much better to be a volunteer than an admin I think.

I'm sure I would have nowhere near this level of freedom of speech as an admin.

As a volunteer I can say what I think.

And while it's limiting in terms of what I can actually do myself (what I'm allowed to do myself) and that can get frustrating, I think being an admin would end up being far more limiting and far more frustrating.

what's keeping us from just populating a new board on a different site? i know we'd lose that fuzzywarm link to [as] and all their #ahem#greatness, but really though, is there much of any interaction with anyone off board anymore? are there show creators, or williams street staff, or really anyone in the turner offices, that comes here anymore? is any content from these boards used at any time on the programming block or elsewhere on the [as] site anymore?

this place doesn't have to shut down. it just needs a new landlord.

Sheer laziness.

That young man’s name?
    Albert Einstein.

• Helper

I've always enjoyed Luuv's willingness to say what we're all thinking on these new boards. Because really, eff the suits.

EMPRESS OF FANGURLZ

all the energy spent complaining about this place, or trying to find a new angle for getting improvements made, could easily be redirected at creating a new account on an already set-up board and improving it with no restrictions. just sayin'...

Also eff the other mods.
    They dont do anything but come in, ban people, and then ignore the appeals.
    Thats really weak.

That young man’s name?
    Albert Einstein.

• IB

actually, again, that was part of the original plan, to take a run at some interactivity.

For example, we had thought about using the Show Blog thing to reach out to creators to do occasional Q&As or even just post random nonsense in their show blog.

Most of the stuff that people seem to want, we actually had a plan for.

And those plans still exist. And we are now moving (ever so slowly) in the direction of all that stuff.

So - here's the thing, the second we are allowed to, the nav's going to change. Because - there's just zero reason to leave it as it is except that we're not allowed to change it.

And once that domino falls, the rest will fall pretty quickly I think, making this place possibly even better than it once was.

Or... OR!
    Now follow me for a second here.
    That energy could be spent on... Not spending it.
    Im not gonna try.
    Ill just stay here until this place's inevitable doom.
    Then I will be free from internet forums, and a era will end.

That young man’s name?
    Albert Einstein.

• IB

I should say that, and actually following through on the old board data.

those two things would put us back on the map, and not only that, I think set us growing again.