I'm A Gun Owner, and I'm Willing to Compromise
2963   78

• Banned

I'm a gun owner, and I'm willing to compromise.

I always hear that gun owners won't compromise when it comes to gun control and back ground checks, so I'm going to compromise. So let's have a discussion on it.

I would prefer a Swiss style system that is tiered in what guns you can get depending on the level of back ground intrusiveness people are willing to undergo.

Tier I - pump action, lever action, and bolt action firearms are available to anyone who fills out a 4473 and passes a back ground check. Pistols are not included and need tier II license.

Tier II - Applicant for a tier II license needs to undergo an extensive back ground check to the FBI including fingerprinting. Upon passing the back ground check semi auto firearms of any caliber can be purchased, pistols of any type can be purchased, no waiting period for any of the tier II or I firearms, ability to carry concealed. License expires after 10 years and is renewed by application if the licensee isn't a felon.

Tier III - Applicant does tier II back ground check, has a friend or acquaintance also vouch for them, and also has an interview with an FBI agent/officer. Upon passing applicant is issued a tier III license which gives access to all NFA items which include silencers, short barreled rifles, etc which can be purchased with no tax stamp. This license expires after 10 years and is renewed just like tier II.

Tier IV - Applicant does tier III application plus undergoes psychiatric evaluation and can have 4 friends or family members vouch for them. Upon passing applicant is issued tier IV license which gives access to fully automatic firearms even if they are not pre 1986 ban. Renewal process is the same as tier III.

If, for any reason, the license process is ended, closed, or delayed then the entire system is scrapped and defaults to the pre tiered license system (just a 4473 for all currently available firearms).

This way gun control advocates get a stronger background check system, and gun owners get access to firearms they don't currently have access to.

• Check It Out!

It's too logical. And liberals won't get to go to catered sit-ins to lobby against firearms.

• Banned

It's a good idea but realistically it won't fly in this country. And in most cases for Switzerland it's a hunting rifle or shotgun that gets a legitimate use once a year but their grandfathering laws are a bit more complex so a father can't simply hand down a gun (especially a handgun) to a son without some licensing and competency training involved. And higher tiers are specifically for people looking to do police or armed security work, and in those cases willing applicants should be thoroughly screened. This system essentially takes away the ability for certain people who do not need to possess assault rifles or tactical handguns from ever buying one. Apply this to America and most of the legal handgun owners wouldn't qualify to even have a bolt action .22 cal.

• Babbling

Maybe we should wait for a white President to make these kind of decisions. Obama doesn't know anything about tiers. He just wants to take all the guns away.

• Banned

What the f**k?

need

You don't need all those rights like being able to speak out against the government, practice your religion, or due process. So let's just take them away alright?

Anyway, if you don't like the proposal why not say what you're willing to do to compromise.

• Banned

Wait, you want the merits of the swiss method but don't want to accept that it's a need based system. If they can't detemine a legitimate reason for having any type of gun then you don't "need" it.

Maybe you didn't understand their system.

• Banned

No, you're wrong. The only "need based" thing they have is carrying a firearm for protection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland

Maybe you shouldn't talk about things you don't understand?

• Banned

No, how about you. So i take it your legal gun ownership had nothing to do with you being a cop or driving an armored truck so by definition of this system you aren't eligible to own a handgun.

And you getting mad about it clearly shows the mental instability to possess firearms in higher tiers.

• SwimPunk Banned

People don't need guns to kill lots of people in the first place so the whole discussion is fundamentally flawed

• Banned

So you don't know about gun laws, either her nor abroad, and you think you're qualified to talk about the subject? So you're just a typical ignorant leftist.

How about go read about the subject, learn, and then come back and discuss like an adult. Also, I said a Swiss style system. I didn't say we need EXACTLY like the Swiss have, and I even said the tier II license would give you the ability to carry a concealed firearm. Did you read anything in this thread before showing your ignorance?

• Banned

I kind of agree, but I'm willing to see what people are willing to compromise on. I keep hearing that gun owners won't compromise, but I never hear any type of offer from gun control advocates.

• Banned

No, but we obviously should if halfwits like you can buy a gun.

Don't sit there casting your ignorance on me, it's you who doesn't know overseas gun laws but thinks certain aspects of some rather restrictive laws would make a good compromise to disarming idiots like you.

• Banned

But they want it! -flails-

Hail to the king.

• Banned

So

1. I prove that you didn't read my OP
    2. Don't know about current gun laws
    3. Don't know about Swiss gun laws

but I'm the half wit. I hate to break it to you but if I'm a half wit you're probably a quarter wit at most.

If you're not going to actually discuss the topic just leave. Nobody is making you stay here and embarrass yourself.

• Banned

Just because you say a thing doesn't mean said thing is true astro.

Hail to the king.

• Banned

When someone says true things that are true then they are true. Go be butt hurt elsewhere.

• Banned

When have you said things that are true again?

Hail to the king.

• Banned

You have to be Stilfail because your trolling is awful.

• Banned

Who's trolling? Just stating the truth astro.

Hail to the king.

p00fy said:

People don't need guns to kill lots of people in the first place so the whole discussion is fundamentally flawed

Pretty much , a guy could walk into a fast food joint with claymore or samurai sword and start slashing . You may not exactly get the same body count , but it would be equally as devastating .

Monsters come in many shapes and sizes . I'm all of them

• Banned

You won't get nearly the body count plus if you don't know how to use those weapons you'll wound more than kill.

Hail to the king.