A thought about playing stringed instruments
216   12

• Manowarrior

Something weird about playing a stringed instrument, such as guitar, bass, violin, cello, etc. is your dominant hand does the easy work (in the case of guitar, strumming or picking), while your non-dominant hand does the complicated stuff (fretting). Wouldn't it make more sense for your dominant hand to do the complicated stuff?

Could you imagine, a little kid being taught to throw a baseball. "Alright, are you right-handed, or left-handed? Right-handed? Ok, then throw the ball with your left hand." What? That doesn't make any sense.

Maybe starting-out right-handed guitarists and starting out left-handed guitarists should switch instruments with each other. (I have no idea if there's such thing as left-handed violins or cellos).

Congratulations 2010, 2012, and 2014 San Francisco Giants! Beat LA!

Ain't got no time for bird sex, I wanna fly...

• Banned

I'm sure there's some sciency explanation. Just feels more natural.

Doesn't really matter because I suck at playing and composing anyway.

• Manowarrior

IIl said:

I thought I've seen some Babblers say you were pretty good.

• Banned

Doom_Metal_Alchemist said:

IIl said:

No, I'm not very good. There are several people here who are good, like Cloud.

I've been out of practice for awhile now but I'm thinking about getting a cheap practice amp this Friday so I can get back into practicing. Practicing acoustically with an electric guitar is very limiting and dull.

• Manowarrior

IIl said:

IIl said:

I've been out of practice for awhile now but I'm thinking about getting a cheap practice amp this Friday so I can get back into practicing. Practicing acoustically with an electric guitar is very limiting and dull.

I actually enrolled in a beginning guitar class at the local community college this summer, just started last week. It's more challenging than I thought it would be. I thought it would be a lot breezier since I've been playing since the 90s, lol.

• Banned

IIl said:

IIl said:

I actually enrolled in a beginning guitar class at the local community college this summer, just started last week. It's more challenging than I thought it would be. I thought it would be a lot breezier since I've been playing since the 90s, lol.

They have classes like that at the local community college here too.

I might enroll in one at some point if I can afford to.

• Manowarrior

IIl said:

IIl said:

IIl said:

I'm sure they'll make you use an acoustic, so be aware of that. I don't know if you have one already.

• Banned

IIl said:

IIl said:

IIl said:

I'm sure they'll make you use an acoustic, so be aware of that. I don't know if you have one already.

I'm pretty sure they're specifically listed as electric guitar courses.

I don't have any interest in strictly acoustic or classical guitar.

• Manowarrior

IIl said:

IIl said:

IIl said:

IIl said:

Interesting. Are they listed as more advanced or intermediate courses?

• Banned

IIl said:

IIl said:

IIl said:

IIl said:

Idk, I haven't looked at the course descriptions in years

• Swimuminati

IIl said:

IIl said:

IIl said:

IIl said:

Good question, the classes here start out acoustic as well.
    My brother is a bassist first and foremost but he did pick up the electric guitar as well about 10 years ago. After a couple of years of plateau and only being moderately decent at it, he took some other peoples advice and picked up the Spanish Guitar. After almost a year, his guitar playing improved exponentially, most especially when he played the electric. I've heard similar accounts from many guitar players. Learn to play the acoustic well and your electric improves noticeably. I'm not really sure why that is, but i'm sure it has something to do with improvements in technique and precision.

am I smilin enough? am I smilin too much? am I tucked in and buckled, do my tits touch? hi, how are you, how high are you?
    less teeth and more tits its never enough. you'll never be good enough.

• Manowarrior

Firefly24 said:

IIl said:

IIl said:

IIl said:

IIl said:

Good question, the classes here start out acoustic as well.
    My brother is a bassist first and foremost but he did pick up the electric guitar as well about 10 years ago. After a couple of years of plateau and only being moderately decent at it, he took some other peoples advice and picked up the Spanish Guitar. After almost a year, his guitar playing improved exponentially, most especially when he played the electric. I've heard similar accounts from many guitar players. Learn to play the acoustic well and your electric improves noticeably. I'm not really sure why that is, but i'm sure it has something to do with improvements in technique and precision.

I actually started out and learned the basics on acoustic, on the advice of the salesman at the music shop.