Here's where we're at then
14087   217

• IB

made a little bit of progress on the Category/folder front. A bit more even than I thought possible.

There's a thing I will be checking out when I get the chance that I can actually do involving ranks.

It's a bit complicated. BUT - basically, I may be attempting to restore a sort of NodeBB version of the old rank system.

It's actually possible with the NodeBB software to limit folder access by group as well.

So, for example, it's possible (not sayin we're gonna, but it's possible) to set it up so only members of a specific group can post in a specific category. Or set up specific categories such that only certain ranks or higher can post there. etc.

Users had requested something similar to this on the old board. But we couldn't make it happen there.

Ironically, this board, actually has the capability. The only issues are - like what specifically you guys want. Basically tailoring it to your needs and not upset the "artistic vision" applecart for the boards as well.

I'm hopefully going to have a shot at looking at all this in more detail over the weekend (around Saturday afternoonish).

So - what I'll be looking at specifically is possibly replacing the rep system with a rank system, if we can. Or using some combination of both.

And then possibly structuring some sort of posting permissions to those ranks.

Again, none of this is set in stone.

So - please post and let me know what you all want/need in terms of ranks, rep system, and the potential of ditching one for the other or perhaps combining both.

What do you like about the current rep system? what ranks do you miss most? stuff like that.

• Helper

Ranks > rep.

Having ranks would give more value to accounts beyond name attachment. Which hopefully would give more weight to bans, which right now are just lulz.

Plus ranks are fun. And personally anything that hearkens back to the good old board days would be welcome in my eyes.

I dislike the idea of restricting posting in categories based on group membership (or anything else, really). It's lame and counterproductive to activity and you'd mostly just get people whining about banning people they don't like from their preferred categories.

EMPRESS OF FANGURLZ

• Banned

Could we not have ranks.

Hail to the king.

Lets change nothing.
    Absolutely nothing!
    Its perfect the way it is.

The professor sat down, utterly defeated by the young man's overwhelming brilliance.
    That young man’s name?
    Albert Einstein.

• Banned

i would like ranks and we wouldnt even need that many folders at all like 4-5?

> Posts: 166,425 Registered: ‎6-03-2007

• IB

I think the folders we got right now are basically it.

• Banned

That's what I've been saying.

Hail to the king.

• Banned

No rep, no ranks, if a restricted/elite area is on the table then make it a folder for accounts at least three months old and with at least 100 posts.

• Banned

any chance on any of the original stats rank/posts/reg date even coming back
    or just all new ranks for the way things are now

> Posts: 166,425 Registered: ‎6-03-2007

• Babbling Banned

BanRaniel said:

No rep, no ranks, if a restricted/elite area is on the table then make it a folder for accounts at least three months old and with at least 100 posts.

That's a hell of a good idea. Too bad it probably won't happen.

What's a giant eye going to do, pick you up and wink you to death?

well, obviously, rep is prone to abuse. so i don't think basing a rank on any kind of rep value would be a good idea. as far as that goes, post count is kiiiinda prone to the same type of abuse. afaik, there's not really any other metrics you can objectively calculate a rank upon, unless there are other tracked stats behind the curtains.

it would be interesting if there was a way to tag flagrant / repeat alt accounts, so they couldn't rank beyond a certain point or they were automatically linked to a limited capability set. i know this idea won't sit well with about 80% of "users" (read: alt clusters), but it might usher in a bit more activity of higher quality.

OotO-style ranks would be fun again. i don't think tying rank to rep in any way is a good idea, which begs the question, why don't we just do away with rep altogether? outside the bragging rights, rep doesn't serve any actual purpose. even negative rep can be fixed with quick alt use. it would be nice (and probably would draw some old users back in) if you could dig into the archive and grab some stats off old accounts, add them to stats on this board, and use that to initialize ranks. maybe post count, or reg date or number of logins. something to make the old boards relevant once again.

i dunno. i'll roll it around a bit more.

• Banned

Get rid of the time restriction for people with low rep. What's the point of that now?

[REMOVED TO CONFORM WITH LOCAL AND INTERNATIONAL CENSORSHIP LAWS]

• Swimuminati

Cille said:

Ranks > rep.

Having ranks would give more value to accounts beyond name attachment. Which hopefully would give more weight to bans, which right now are just lulz.

Plus ranks are fun. And personally anything that hearkens back to the good old board days would be welcome in my eyes.

I dislike the idea of restricting posting in categories based on group membership (or anything else, really). It's lame and counterproductive to activity and you'd mostly just get people whining about banning people they don't like from their preferred categories.

This ^

• IB

It's a possibility.

I haven't taken a hard look yet at what specific stats we can use. I know it's not quite as detailed as the old rank system. But there are some board stats we can actually use. I'm hoping reg date is one.

• Banned

zombieberkman said:

BanRaniel said:

That's a hell of a good idea. Too bad it probably won't happen.

It would help normal posters have a place of refuge when the main page is all zeni dicks and such

Also makes losing an established account to a ban actually mean something

• IB

I may try to get a read on where they're at with the old data in this process.

and/or see if there's any way I might be able to access it to carry over ranks if we end up doing something ranklike.

• Banned

SwimMod_Luuv said:

It's a possibility.

I haven't taken a hard look yet at what specific stats we can use. I know it's not quite as detailed as the old rank system. But there are some board stats we can actually use. I'm hoping reg date is one.

Seriously?

This is what you concern yourself with?

This is admin stuff, and you're not the admin. So leave that up to them and do the modding you were supposed to be doing.

• Swimuminati

kill-joy70 said:

SwimMod_Luuv said:

It's a possibility.

Seriously?

This is what you concern yourself with?

This is admin stuff, and you're not the admin. So leave that up to them and do the modding you were supposed to be doing.

quiet you...he's all we've got

• Manowarrior

I would say tie ranks to either minutes online or days registered, or both. I don't want being able to raise rank by post count, because that would cause mass spamming, and we already have enough of that from one user. Also I think this would deter people from doing things to get banned a bit, because individual sns would mean more. Same with permission to access folders by rank.

I would say maybe having the Toonami and Comedy folders accessible to everybody, and the noise folders accessible by rank. But I think folder permissions should be low requirements, since I think a lot of us wouldn't even come here if we could only post in Toonami/Comedy, and not bother coming enough to rank to Noise permission if the requirements were too high.

Luuv, you said we would have the folders we basically already have groups for, correct? Well don't do that. We currently have groups for each individual comedy show that is either still airing in new eps or are currently airing. That's way too many folders and too much like the old system. We should only have one folder for all of comedy discussion, and one folder for all of Toonami/Action discussion, just like the really old days. For Noise, I would suggest being IB and Babbling. I wouldn't suggest Rants, as for the recent years on the old board it was a really dead folder. Maybe either make Babbling the place to rant, or else let it be either in Babbling or IB, which ever each individual poster wishes to post their rants in.

I wouldn't mind taking away downvotes, but I like upvotes, so leaving those in place or kudos again would be nice.

Congratulations 2010, 2012, and 2014 San Francisco Giants! Beat LA!

Ain't got no time for bird sex, I wanna fly...

• IB

no new flags in the system right now.

flag something and I'll go moderate it.

it doesn't seem like ranks will get colors, what with the fresh artsy nature of this board. and usernames are already tag-able by category. would a rank be something only visible from the user profile page? or would users get fancy stars or bird emoji tied onto their names?