rant: why did chrome end the "backspace = go back a page" function?
330   7

@Rants

this is possibly the most ass-backwards update i've seen from chrome in a long time. instead of using the "backspace" key to go back a page, you now have to push "alt+left" to go back. why force a simple keystroke command to become so complicated?? oh, because some people are too slow to recognize when they're backspacing in a dialog box, or backspacing through pages. well, that's bogus.

the way it was before is just fine. at least give us the option to disable the "new" back function. this is bullshit.

• Rants

"The Functionally for the Backspace will be removed in Chrome 52. Use Alt+Left / Alt+Right Arrow Keys to navigate between Pages. Google decided to remove this Keyboard Shortcut because Users lost their Data when they pressed Backspace and accidentally moved back one Page (and lost their Form Data).

Please see this Bug Report, it lists also a Extension to bring back the Backspace Functionality:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=608016"

SOURCE: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/ZAsrDOXDqdo

That having been said, I think it's great that Google did away with a function that caused many users to lose their data by accident. Also, more sophisticated users own a mouse with side bumpers that ease navigation forward and backward through webpages. Ergo, this fix doesn't affect users who fly through the web like latter-day Bobby Newmarks at all.

ASMB Member since March 23, 2004.
    If brevity is the soul of wit, then abbreviation is the death of the soul.

• SwimSage Banned

Still works for me, but I might not be quite up to date. I normally use the back arrow anyway.

• Banned

huh? i still have it

• Rants

Check your version number. You probably aren't running an updated version of chrome.

more sophisticated users? how about a big f**k you! i'm on a chromebook, which only has a tap/touch pad. i'm not tied to a desktop pc with my "sophisticated" 14-button mouse.

• Rants

No, no... just use a four button mouse (and a cheap wireless one at that; my Logitech M510 was $15) in order to work around the Google Chrome fix.

Was that link I posted of any use? I didn't check it out.