going to shut off the downvoting
25998   406

• IB

for a trial period see how that works out.

basically it's been a problem since launch, got shut down briefly, then after being turned on again, was still a problem, but not quite as big a one. And over time it sort of goes in and out like a tide, sometimes it's a big problem, sometimes it's a small problem. But it's pretty much always been a problem.

It would be cool if we could just get a plugin like Reputation Rules, or an alternative rep system like NS Points, which I'm lobbying admins for.

But in lieu of that, I'd like to try shutting it off again just to see if that yields us a bit less "dumpster fire" type ambiance.

Not that that doesn't suit the place to a certain extent. But I think there are - you know - "degrees" of dumpster fire. And lately it feels like we're turnt up a bit too high on that.

so we'll see how this goes.

Again, I hope we can get something to either augment or replace the current rep system soon. And this is only a test. I'd like to leave it off for long enough where we can get a real idea of how it will effect posting. But it may well just get turned back on. Dunno yet. Just want to try it off for awhile.

Let me know your thoughts.

• SwimVIP

YES!! YES!! VICTORY!! LET THERE BE PEACE AND LUUV IN THE ASMB!!

And the Universe said, "Let there be Zeni's YouTube Channel". And so it was. And it was good.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Zenigundam

• IB

you are.... not helping.

• Banned

People are just downvoting people because they dont like them, not because anything was wrong with their post.

• Banned

I'm ok with it either way...I don't DV so I don't care....I just find it a bit odd that you wouldn't instead seek a way to determine where they are coming from and stop the abuse, but since I'm not all too familiar with NBB, I can't say if that is even possible.

Does this affect upvote though....I do upvote things I find hilarious, and technically if it did, wouldn't that nerf the rep system as a whole......Which I'm also cool with....Just asking.

You were banned. It fills you with determination

• SwimVIP

I think it's a good idea, even though I get a chuckle when there's a "-14" next to a post that was made five minutes ago. Any chance we can go back to ranks or would that not work with the way these boards are set up?

And the Universe said, "Let there be Zeni's YouTube Channel". And so it was. And it was good.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Zenigundam

• Banned

fugginlove said:

People are just downvoting people because they dont like them, not because anything was wrong with their post.

This is also true....I saw this first hand on an alt I made that had 1 post that basically said can I post yet, and got like 10.........It doesn't even have to be if people don't like you.....People just like f**king shit up.

• IB

that would be optimal, but we have no way of determining that with the current board software.

NodeBB is kinda - like bits of it are super neato, and bits of it are just difficult or non-existent.

Upvotes will stay.

• Banned

Full steam ahead then

• Swimuminati

thank you

am I smilin enough? am I smilin too much? am I tucked in and buckled, do my tits touch? hi, how are you, how high are you?
    less teeth and more tits its never enough. you'll never be good enough.

• Banned

I'll even say if you got rid of DVs and found a way to make the ignore function a bit more useful I'd be happier.

Not even making it where poster disappear....Just not black out the thread.

• IB

I am trying currently to get us something that will function differently from Ranks on the old board, but - I guess it's more a sort of hybrid of the rep system and ranks. It basically gives points for upvotes, posting, and other stats, and those points increase your "rank". It's sort of like Ranks on the old board, but more heavily tied into the Rep system of NodeBB.

In lieu of that, there is actually a way for me to rig it so that - like if you have certain posting stats, you can be automatically added to a Rank Group. But the problem with that is - there's currently no real way to control which group name appears next to your SN when you post. And there's no way to boot from a group automatically. So - it would function much like the old Rank system, but mods would have to manually monitor stats, and actually boot you out of your old rank groups as you gained a new rank. And again, even then, there's no guarantee that rank group title would appear next to your SN like it's supposed to if you're in other groups as well.

so that way's a little wonky.

• Other Anime

Seems like it rewards the awful posters to remove it since moderations been slow enough lately to have days where dick pics have been plastered on the front page for a day before being removed, but at least there's an ignore feature now so there's no need to pay them any mind anyway. That, and banning just serves as a revolving door for those who came specifically to be terrible so maybe the dumpster fire would still rage on, with or without downvotes.

Muscle, muscle! Hustle, hustle!

• SwimParagon

Boo. I know each user can only downvote a post once (ignoring alts), and the board tracks that. Unless it's tracked by user and not post? :/

"I feel like I should be banning way more of you." -- SwimMod_Luuv

• Special Snowflake

You should just get rid of the penalty for having a low rep instead. It would yield the same effect as now. The rep would then just be a number, a useless one.

Memento Mori

• IB

downvoting didn't really effect that particularly in any huge way anyhow. Best case scenario, it simply limited time between posts.

We're also attempting to get some additions to the ban system, to make it more communicative/effective.

And, as stated above, we're looking for ways to make SNs more important to people so they are less inclined to toss them on the fire.

We've always had issues, and will always have issues, but beyond a doubt, the current ban system and current SNs are not helping, and are making that worse than it was on the old board. Along with other elements that make it difficult for people to invest in the place even to the level they used to.

Gradually, we're taking care of some of those elements. I'm hoping ultimately we can fix more of them as we go.

• Banned

Nah, people would still bitch about the useless negative number by their posts.......Some people are children and take shit that doesn't even have meaning too seriously.

• IB

we have no way of tracking downvoting.

Zenigundam said:

YES!! YES!! VICTORY!! LET THERE BE PEACE AND LUUV IN THE ASMB!!

You're partially responsible for this as am I.
    But it's cool that it's shut off, it was getting ridiculous

• AdultSwim.Com

hey luuvdawg this is what i really wanna say:

OMG SQUEE NOW EVERYONE CANT STAND

EACH OTHER IN IN PRIVATE OHEMMMGEE

but this is what i am really going to say:

its really immature that the vote button doesnt

work for some people,

im sure they are the same folks that dont appreciate

the live front page and have small posting circles

in which criticism really matters

but i agree the trolling is not only damaging to the environment and dangerous to the users... they may feel abused

or challenged as individuals... i'm sure you can tell by my two notorious ban periods a few years ago, that i am

not allowing challenges to my person, or to make this place a personal communication

for people that just disrespect me for posting, i have stood up to trolls for a long, long time

and put my account on the line to fight back... several times luuvy... but this trigger down vote reaction is minute and

benign... hopefully some newbs or folks benefit from it

have a resplendent sabbath

:robotfrustrated:

• AdultSwim.Com

btw luuvv youre the one that saved me and hooked me down perseus' love...
    thank you
    i need you guys bro

:robotfrustrated: