Meaninglessness of life?
919   30

• SwimPunk Banned

A couple users were all on about how life is futile because you'll just die and you might be remembered but eventually everyone who remembers you will die as well.

I was thinking about it and I thought about the butterfly effect.

Maybe no one will remember you, but nothing can erase your actions from existence. Your actions change things / you affect the world by existing in the first place. Even if it's a small change, like the butterfly effect says, something small can potentially have a drastic effect on a system over time.

Or something like that I unno whatever

• Banned

The people who said that probably don't matter and are drains on society. I, for one, contribute.

And yet, even the world itself will fade into nothing in time.

If you're going to be a dick, at least go all in.

• SwimSage Banned

I don't need to be remembered, probably better I'm not.

• SwimPunk Banned

An existential crisis doesn't mean they're not trying

• SwimPunk Banned

Possibly

• SwimPunk Banned

That might be a good attitude

• SwimParagon

It's hard to see the effect one's actions can have on the world, and it's sometimes disheartening. Some changes are a group effort, with no one person really being able to point to it and say "that's mine". And even for those changes we can claim, we don't always get feedback on them, leaving us to think we've done nothing at all. So.... it's tough. It's tough to keep going without seeing anything happen. But the changes that do show themselves... those become that much more special as a result.

"I feel like I should be banning way more of you." -- SwimMod_Luuv

• Banned

Lol i posted that.

Bullseye!

• Swimuminati

I just don't worry about it. What matters to me is that while I'm here, I'm continuously making efforts to be the best version of me that I possibly can be. When I'm gone, I won't be around to know if people remember or if my existence really mattered to anyone at all. So I really don't care. But for now, I'm here, I have to live in this life, the people around me are subject to that as well. Its important that I try for myself and for them while I have the ability to do so. Personally, socially, economically, and environmentally. I'm here. It matters while I am. I matter while I am. Others matter while I am. The earth matters while I am.

What happens when I'm gone, i'll leave that up to the people that are still around.

am I smilin enough? am I smilin too much? am I tucked in and buckled, do my tits touch? hi, how are you, how high are you?
    less teeth and more tits its never enough. you'll never be good enough.

Even if there is no meaning, we should enjoy whatever there is here on Earth.

Liek Pokemon Go or Anime or fapping.

• SwimParagon

Haha. I wish I could take that path. I worry. I worry and worry and can't turn the worry off and... well, I'll be practicing some serious meditation over the next few weeks.

"I feel like I should be banning way more of you." -- SwimMod_Luuv

• Banned

If you become evil enough you will always be remembered.... or walk on water

If you gotta go go with a smile

• Banned

If a star won't last forever, (and by star, I mean the giant ball of flaming gas at the center of our solar system) then what me worry?

I'm just here to enjoy the ride.

POOP

• Banned

I wanna leave my footprint on the sands of time
    Know there was something that, meant something that I left behind
    When I leave this world, I'll leave no regrets,
    Leave something to remember, so they won't forget

I was here
    I lived, I loved
    I was here
    I did, I've done, everything that I wanted
    And it was more than I thought it would be
    I will leave my mark so everyone will know
    I was here

I want to say I lived each day, until I die
    And know that I meant something in somebody's life
    The hearts I have touched will be the proof that I leave
    That I made a difference, and this world will see

I was here
    I lived, I loved
    I was here

I was here
    I lived, I loved
    I was here
    I was here

I just want them to know
    That I gave my all, did my best
    Brought someone to happiness
    Left this world a little better just because

I was here

I was here
    I lived, I loved
    I was here
    I was here.

, I lived
    (I loved), I was here
    (I did), I did
    (I've done), I was here
    (I lived), I lived
    (I loved)
    I was here

, I did
    (I've done)

I was here

• SwimIcon

yeah, but considering the vastness of the cosmos, any action you take is so infinitesimally small that it hardly matters. i mean, it matters... just not much.

so i guess, strictly speaking, you're right. life isn't meaningless; it's just trivial.

Life is a depressing, meaningless, mess.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9URZGTHR3tA

Enjoy the ride.

• ShoeHands

Yet, this thread will live on forever.

Or at least until the internet explodes.

• SwimPunk Banned

Nameraka_Hanzaisha said:

yeah, but considering the vastness of the cosmos, any action you take is so infinitesimally small that it hardly matters. i mean, it matters... just not much.

so i guess, strictly speaking, you're right. life isn't meaningless; it's just trivial.

Variations that seem trivial can still have a major effect on a system over large periods of time. The butterfly effect.

• Banned

I'm an Atheist... most atheists will tell you life is meaningless or has little meaning other than what you decide to do with your life and what you leave behind.

In recent years I've had a more open minded approach to this subject as it is something that has always bothered me.

I think there are still too many unknowns about existence and consciousness itself. I have been doing some research on prevailing theories of physicists, philosophers, and religions. I personally think that everything is connected as can readily be observed by the nature of the universe.

I think we are all part of some type of whole.... the universe itself. When we die we return to matter and energy from which we were made. Who is to say our consciousness does not exist in some form or fashion after our life ends or that death exists at all... or that life exists at all... at least how we know it and describe it.

I like to think what we do and who we are has meaning, as every creature is unique in both construction and experience as we all move through time separately.

SandStone said:

I'm an Atheist... most atheists will tell you life is meaningless or has little meaning other than what you decide to do with your life and what you leave behind.

In recent years I've had a more open minded approach to this subject as it is something that has always bothered me.

I think there are still too many unknowns about existence and consciousness itself. I have been doing some research on prevailing theories of physicists, philosophers, and religions. I personally think that everything is connected as can readily be observed by the nature of the universe.

I think we are all part of some type of whole.... the universe itself. When we die we return to matter and energy from which we were made. Who is to say our consciousness does not exist in some form or fashion after our life ends or that death exists at all... or that life exists at all... at least how we know it and describe it.

I like to think what we do and who we are has meaning, as every creature is unique in both construction and experience as we all move through time separately.

What you just described is called Pantheism.