What do you want to be when you grow up?
274   10

Nope. I just never had an answer for that one. There was no career that really stimulated my excitement as a kid. I was busy indulging myself in normal childhood activities. Because of that, a lot of things just appear the same to me. A job is a job. They all pay similarly give or take a few thousands or tens of thousands. We have different thresholds for comfortable living. And I'm rather simple, so I don't need the best things that money can buy.

• SwimPeanut

Zenigundam said:

Nope. I just never had an answer for that one. There was no career that really stimulated my excitement as a kid. I was busy indulging myself in normal childhood activities. Because of that, a lot of things just appear the same to me. A job is a job. They all pay similarly give or take a few thousands or tens of thousands. We have different thresholds for comfortable living. And I'm rather simple, so I don't need the best things that money can buy.

Retired.

West and wewaxation, at wast! And, no more bwooms! I'll sit here all day watching skwewy wabbits.

If you want to pick THAT type out of a crowd, just look for the festering scabs on their elbows.

• SwimNinja

I wanted to be an archaeologist. Don't know why I didn't pursue it, probably because I graduated early from high school and was living with my sister and brother in law and didn't want to put up with them half a year until college would start, so joined the navy instead.

Here in Cloud Cuckoo Land, there are no rules: There's no government, no baby sitters, no bedtimes, no frowny faces, no bushy mustaches, and no negativity of any kind. And there's also no consistency.

• SwimVIP

Zenigundam said:

Nope. I just never had an answer for that one. Because of that, a lot of things just appear the same to me. A job is a job. They all pay similarly give or take a few thousands or tens of thousands.

I never thought the same way, Zeni.

There's a huge difference between a career and a job for me. A job is just something you do to make money whereas a career is also something you do professionally because you take pride in doing it.

• SwimLegend

I wanna be a famous screenwriter.

Oh bother...

• SwimSage Banned

I didn't give a shit unfortunately.

But what happens when they take your screenplay and refashion it into something so disparate from your original vision just to fit their vision of what will be commercially appealing? That's when you storm out of the studio and realize that, although you are an incredibly talented screenwriter, you have neither the capital nor the influence to turn this screenplay into a motion picture on your own; you must either give in to their demands or find somebody else who will endorse your vision.

ric_man said:

I didn't give a shit unfortunately.

This is the best attitude to have imo.

• SwimLegend

It sucks that the writer is the low person on the totem pole but my plan had been to graduate from NYU's dramatic writing program and then I was gonna study film at USC. If I had the ability to direct my own stuff I'd have some more control.

I also wasn't opposed to being one of the writers that changes people's screenplays.

Doesn't matter now. It's all just pipe dreams at this point.

Oh bother...

I admire your passion, Pooh. I'll work hard to get into NYU's M.A. program in English, send you detailed letters describing the experience, do well there, gain admission to a reputable PhD program, work a tenure-track job at a university where I'll write a definitive anthology of first year college-level English texts to be circulated in universities around the world, and then I'll use the money from the sales to fund your movie ideas, all while maintaining my reclusive lifestyle.

But in all probability, I'll just teach HS English. I do admire your passion though!