Would Lab Grown meat be Considered Vegetarian?
1008   33

http://www.wired.com/2016/07/lab-grown-meat-coming-win-haters/

Like its closer than you expect...
    But I always wondered...
    Could a Vegetarian or Vegan eat this stuff?
    its not from an animal.
    its just a perfectly good steak grown in a lab.
    I dont personally care, if it tastes good.

The professor sat down, utterly defeated by the young man's overwhelming brilliance.
    That young man’s name?
    Albert Einstein.

• Banned

It wouldn't be vegetarian because it's still an animal product. The difference is, you wouldn't be supporting an environmentally unsound industry that kills billions of them a year.

Is it animal product though?
    Its made in a lab.
    Are you trying to say that cuz its got cells without a hard cell wall, its animal product?
    If not, where does one draw the line?

The professor sat down, utterly defeated by the young man's overwhelming brilliance.
    That young man’s name?
    Albert Einstein.

• Banned

I say it's an animal product because an animal's cells are still required. They aren't proposing totally synthetic meat yet.

• Banned

Josey said:

I say it's an animal product because an animal's cells are still required. They aren't proposing totally synthetic meat yet.

this

POOP

• SwimHero

FieryDoom said:

Josey said:

this

i think if there is no suffering of animals then vegetarians would probably be all over this. maybe all except for the most hardcore ones would eat this.

Janeway Rules!

• Banned

Yeah, I don't see what the problem would be. You would be growing protein in a lab, which kinda equates to the same thing as growing crops in fields.

POOP

• Toonami

UncivillyPandaKa said:

But I always wondered...
    its not from an animal.

evidently it's actually prejudiced to demand that everyone stop eating meat....because People who have a low income cannot afford a vegan diet due to it being far more expensive than one that includes meat

ergo, Vegans are classist

• Thunder Goddess

mochi said:

UncivillyPandaKa said:

But I always wondered...
    its not from an animal.

evidently it's actually prejudiced to demand that everyone stop eating meat....because People who have a low income cannot afford a vegan diet due to it being far more expensive than one that includes meat

It doesn't have to be more expensive. Rice, beans, barley, and oats are relatively cheap. Not very exciting or necessarily appetizing, but they're cheap.

“None of us are saints.” – Albert Fish
    "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" -- Stephen Wright

• Banned

There will still be some of the things that people avoid meat for sticking around. I mean, even if it's grown in a lab, red meat will probably still be bad for you. Aside from that, I'm not sure if the allergies some people have to fish and shellfish will remain.

• Other Anime

I think they'd still be picky about that cause at one point in time, an animal died for it's cloning/consumption despite it not costing as many animal lives to make.

Still, I'm looking forward to when we'd be able to make enough synthetic meat to be able to feed more people in the world and cut down on the amount of animals consumed.

Muscle, muscle! Hustle, hustle!

• SwimLegend

I wouldn't care either but in like 20 years there will be mutant children moving
    shit with their minds as a result of this stuff but to answer your question, I would
    think anyone abstaining from meat due to some moral issue should be satisfied with this.

It's amazing what can be made in labs these days, they also make perfect diamonds that are diamonds, not
    fake CZ stuff

Oh bother...

• Banned

From what I understand, the animal that's used will most likely be a fetus so the stem cells can be used.

• Toonami

mthor said:

mochi said:

UncivillyPandaKa said:

But I always wondered...
    its not from an animal.

It doesn't have to be more expensive. Rice, beans, barley, and oats are relatively cheap. Not very exciting or necessarily appetizing, but they're cheap.

you also need to take various dietaty suppliments on a Vegan diet

a functional Vegan diet is more trouble and money than it's worth

• Banned

mochi said:

UncivillyPandaKa said:

But I always wondered...
    its not from an animal.

what planet is it cheaper to buy veggies than meat?!

the only cheap meat I can get my hands on is chicken and offal products.

POOP

• Banned

Fish can be reasonable ... if you buy it frozen and bagged. I'm restricted in my diet, doctor wants me to drop blood pressure, so fish is the only meat he recommends. The nice looking stuff on the meat shelf, is ridiculously priced though.

• Banned

If you buy that farm raised stuff, yeah, fish is cheap. For some reason though, some of that farm raised stuff tastes like AJAX to me, so I try to buy wild caught. Wild caught is almost always more expensive.

POOP

• Babbling

Radiotsar, One Warped Vision, Charity Navigator
    Перший в стіну, коли революція іде!

• Banned

alt text

POOP

• SwimVIP Banned

I feel like this would give me cancer.

"Wait, I don't remember 'Allahu Akbar' being in the lyrics..." - Eagles Of Death Metal

• Banned

DeusExMasquerade said:

I feel like this would give me cancer.

Yeah, but what doesn't give you cancer nowadays?

POOP