Chiller Anime Block - 1 Yr. Ago Today
1034   32

• SwimPeanut

If anyone remembers on July 15 2015 the Chiller channel launched their anime block. It only last three weeks before it was cancelled due to low ratings that resulted from a lineup of obscure shows and virtually no marketing. For me it was really exciting news. Another channel saw that Toonami was having success with anime on tv and tried it out for themselves. Chiller is a sister network to Syfy and it was quite possible they were testing the waters. Unfortunately the block was a disaster. It was broadcast in what looked like 240p and scenes were cut in favor of showing full openings. I think the biggest problem was that they started too small. Syfy network should have just bought Tokyo Ghoul and put it on at like 11:30 on like a Friday night or something rather than air some older and obscure shows on a smaller, standard definition sister network. (Devil May Cry an exception to obscure). Here's hoping Toonami isn't the only place to watch more adult anime on Tv in the future.

Keep a Level Head

What a Time to Be Alive...

We were born too late to explore the world and born too early to explore the stars but we were born just in time to navigate the new Adult Swim boards.

After Adult Swim Action started, a lot of anime blocks started showing up on TV in the following years such as Animidnight (Encore Action), Anime Unleashed (TechTV/G4), and (much later on) Sci-Fi's Ani-Monday block. The Anime Network started not long afterward too if I recall. Uncut, adult anime was on TV a lot not too long ago.

No clue why that's not the case today. Most of cable TV sucks.

• Helper

Personally, other than Toonami I'd love to see anime on movie channels, which has occasionally happened. No cuts.

F'r real though, when it comes to tv networks has anyone ever provided a better treatment than [as]? There are shortened OPs and EDs, but there's also only one commercial break per show, something no one else does as far as I know.

What the hell is that behind you

• Banned

Chiller had an anime block in 2009 too. It lasted months then I believe, at least as long the time I had Chiller available which was from July 2009 to Dec. 2009. They ran Monster, Descendants of Darkness and Tokko from what I remember. Tokko was the only one I finished, I missed too much of Monster.

• Toonami

there's only a small handfull of channels I see even attempting anything like an adult anime block and I doubt they'd have real success with it

1. Fox and or FX/FXX, because Fox reeeeeally wants to be Adult Swim and I wouldn't put it past them to rip-off toonami to reach that goal
    2. Freeform, because they're targeting a Teenage and Millenial viewership and Teens and Millenials make up most of the anime fandom

other than that there's just not a big market for it

• IB

yeah I was kinda into the aniMonday shows for a bit, but holy shit, there was literally a commercial every 5 minutes or so once the block got going, it was freakin insane.

• Banned

Anime just doesn't do well on TV. It's become a hard market to sell since the quality has declined but the output remains high. The continuous glut of crap just drives away audiences. Toonami has been pretty successful because it mixes familiar titles that people will watch with smatterings of new.

If it were prime time though, I don't think Toonami would last long. But it kills post 1 a.m.

• Toonami

Josey said:

Anime just doesn't do well on TV. It's become a hard market to sell since the quality has declined but the output remains high. The continuous glut of crap just drives away audiences. Toonami has been pretty successful because it mixes familiar titles that people will watch with smatterings of new.

If it were prime time though, I don't think Toonami would last long. But it kills post 1 a.m.

I was gonna say Toonami's doing alright....but I genuinely think it has less to do with what they show and more to do with Nostalgia and Branding

• SwimSuperHero

Yep, I'm just glad anime does well on Netflix.
    Netflix is better than cable anyway.

Usopp Fanatic since 2003.

• SwimLegend

I miss the chiller block, syfy had a block and Starz had one as well, they aired HS Rumble, Mirage of Blaza, Desert Punk
    and a few movies, I'm pretty sure they don't anymore

Oh bother...

• Toonami

blueraven1999 said:

Yep, I'm just glad anime does well on Netflix.
    Netflix is better than cable anyway.

they just have more money and can make higher bids on the rights to all the best anime, it's less to do with it doing well and more to do with Netflix just snagging all the actually decent shows while other anime blocks can only get the rights to the shows nobody really wants to watch

• Banned

There were members on JTV that made the effort of essentially creating anime networks with schedules and everything for their channels. Almost all of it was the stuff you've seen before and a little bit of new ... an hour block of Trigun at 6 p.m., an hour block of Baccano! at 1 a.m. ... but I was amazed to see all of them had hundreds of viewers at any given time, many of them commenting they came on that time of day to watch a given show.

I think looking at that, having a community based around the programming is pretty essential. I think that's part of the reason for AS's success and other the failure of other networks to do anime.

• Toonami

Josey said:

There were members on JTV that made the effort of essentially creating anime networks with schedules and everything for their channels. Almost all of it was the stuff you've seen before and a little bit of new ... an hour block of Trigun at 6 p.m., an hour block of Baccano! at 1 a.m. ... but I was amazed to see all of them had hundreds of viewers at any given time, many of them commenting they came on that time of day to watch a given show.

I think looking at that, having a community based around the programming is pretty essential. I think that's part of the reason for AS's success and other the failure of other networks to do anime.

part of Toonami's success is the fact that they have a mascot character who talks to the viewers in a deep soothing voice and that you can communicate with the people running the block via social media.....so yes....allowing viewer participation and communication with the viewing community is pretty much the only effective way to keep an anime block on the air

mochi said:

part of Toonami's success is the fact that they have a mascot character who talks to the viewers in a deep soothing voice...

Nobody tunes in for a group therapy session. Wish they'd get rid of Tom.

• Toonami

Zenigundam said:

mochi said:

part of Toonami's success is the fact that they have a mascot character who talks to the viewers in a deep soothing voice...

just so you know I wasn't standing up for you in that other thread

• SwimLegend

Zenigundam said:

mochi said:

But isn't that Steven Jay Blum though? I love me some of that guy's voice

I know that sentence got your eye twitching and this one and this too

Oh bother...

Haha you were until I ragged on Tom and the whole Toonami interface. I can't stand that they have Tom and Sara there. They need to put a whole new atmosphere in that's dark and cutthroat if they're gonna be so obsessed with that stuff.

• Toonami

Zenigundam said:

Haha you were until I ragged on Tom and the whole Toonami interface. I can't stand that they have Tom and Sara there. They need to put a whole new atmosphere in that's dark and cutthroat if they're gonna be so obsessed with that stuff.

I was standing up for Toonami

I don't even believe you like or even watch Toonami

• Banned

Do you want to get rid of Tom because you find robots arousing?

• Banned

HCArcher said:

If anyone remembers on July 15 2015 the Chiller channel launched their anime block. It only last three weeks before it was cancelled due to low ratings that resulted from a lineup of obscure shows and virtually no marketing. For me it was really exciting news. Another channel saw that Toonami was having success with anime on tv and tried it out for themselves. Chiller is a sister network to Syfy and it was quite possible they were testing the waters. Unfortunately the block was a disaster. It was broadcast in what looked like 240p and scenes were cut in favor of showing full openings. I think the biggest problem was that they started too small. Syfy network should have just bought Tokyo Ghoul and put it on at like 11:30 on like a Friday night or something rather than air some older and obscure shows on a smaller, standard definition sister network. (Devil May Cry an exception to obscure). Here's hoping Toonami isn't the only place to watch more adult anime on Tv in the future.

I watched Syfys AniMonday block for a few yrs but they did everything they could to get rid of it and not advertise it.

I don't even get Chiller though. So I wasn't even aware of this thing. I get some short film channel as part of my Encore package and they show episodes of Gintama but that's about it.

No because he reminds me of some nine year old, friendly kid who wears a robot costume for Halloween. Besides, if you watch Toonami, it's for the actual shows it plays. If they need to keep a "mascot", they should evolve him into some kind of destroyer bot. Make him look like Metal Gear Rex with a red Cyclops visor (X-Men).