ITN: Military coup in Turkey(fails?)
2540   57

• ShoeHands

Its unclear exactly what is going on but the Military has announced that they have taken control of Turkey.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36809083

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-security-primeminister-idUSKCN0ZV2HK

This has happened before and typically happens when there is rising Islamism within the country.

Edit: State TV has been taken down (clarification, it isnt down yet it is simply under the control of the Military. Soldiers are in the station and have total control over all content at the moment) Its been taken down now.
    Social Media is down across Turkey, with Internet outages reported in large chunks of Turkey
    Tanks are being videotaped in the capital
    Jets and Helicopters are flying very low in the capital

Edit 2: Statement from the Turkish Military https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/754053500431048705/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

E3: Nationwide Curfew has been put in place as Martial Law is being enforced by the Military.
    Erdogan says he is going to speak shortly, no word on from where or what he will say.

E4: Erodgan gave a speech via Facetime in a hotel room claiming to still have control. He isnt actually in Turkey right now either so its hard to believe he still has control.

E5: the coup may have failed, and might not have actually been a coup at all. Reports are that the leader has given himself up, and that it was more an uprising by a faction within the Military that follows and Pennsylvania Islamic teacher who supports Islam embracing science.

I could never lie to you, You're like the greatest pot smoking republican hippie I know.-1POOH4U

• Banned

Why should i care?

• Banned

alt text

POOP

• ShoeHands

Its sounding like the Military is doing this to oust the current leadership as they push to limit civil liberties.

Early reports are saying that the military is claiming they are trying to fight the rising tide of Islamism within Turkish government.

I could never lie to you, You're like the greatest pot smoking republican hippie I know.-1POOH4U

BBC news~
    "Mr Yildirim told NTV television by telephone: "We are working on the possibility of an attempt. We will not allow this attempt." He did not elaborate.
    "Those who are in this illegal act will pay the highest price," he added, saying it would not be correct to describe the move as a "coup"."

we are all caught in the wordbox
    Way to go, asshole, now we're careening off into space and will definitely die. -.- ~ perfy

• Banned

Kind of expected this to happen a decade ago when he was first elected. I am surprised the military showed so much restraint. One of their sworn duties is to protect secularism in the country and that's been under a threat for a long time. The division in Turkey is sort of like the Red/Blue state divide in the US, except on steroids.

• ShoeHands

Its interesting that he is able to speak. Usually in a Coup current leadership loses all ability to speak. So he isnt being held by the military, or at least thats what it seems like.

• ShoeHands

It really is.
    Earlier this year the rumors were so strong that there was going to be a coup that the military actually put out a statement saying they were not going to perform a coup.

Whats going to be interesting is to see if 1. This happens quickly or not and 2. what happens next.
    With 1, there is no doubt the coup will succeed. When the military goes this far they wont stop unless they are all dead.

1. Who steps up, and what happens to the growing tide of Islamism within Turkey? Will there be a sudden huge push against ISIS, something that current leadership has refused to do?

So, they're bagging that Turkey?

• Banned

I'm guessing that the secular populations in Ankara and western part of the country probably support this. I imagine those areas will get right on board. The question is, how long will it take as far as the rural areas of the country. It's mountainous, uneven and offers a lot of places to disappear. If a rebel group with a lot of determination formed there, it's a battle that could last years. Especially if they have support coming from across the border in Russia or Syria.

• Banned

I wouldn't be too surprised if they consulted with the US before the coup. We have a lot at stake and Erdogan was really putting things at risk, I think.

• SwimParagon

Civil war in Syria. Iraq in the hands of terrorists. Turkey under hostile takeover. Middle East ain't lookin' so good.

"I feel like I should be banning way more of you." -- SwimMod_Luuv

• SwimLegend

Oh shit

Oh bother...

• Banned

I don't know if that's really an accurate way to put Syria and Iraq. If you look at the map, their actual area's of control are comparatively small to the area not under their control in those countries. The terror attacks they're supporting are largely acts of desperation since they are losing ground fast.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-27838034

• ShoeHands

The Secularists had been growing very unhappy for a while. Erdogan had been slowly pushing the country away from its traditional secular society to a more Islamic based one. He also had been working to slowly transform the country into more of a dictatorship than a democracy.
    I wouldnt be shocked either if they talked with the US. Erdogan and his administration have been slowwalking their support to fighting ISIS, even going as far to not let us use bases we built to attack ISIS. Theyve allowed oil to flow from ISIS fields through Turkey and done nothing to stop it. Really the only thing they did was shoot down that Russian fighter jet.

• ShoeHands

PerfectFlowingHair said:

Civil war in Syria. Iraq in the hands of terrorists. Turkey under hostile takeover. Middle East ain't lookin' so good.

Did it ever?

• Banned

Sooooo nothing happened?

If you gotta go go with a smile

• SwimParagon

...augh! Media paints the nasty picture again! It still ain't pretty for those two though =\

• SwimParagon

Master-Debater131 said:

PerfectFlowingHair said:

Did it ever?

Hey. I had a bubble of ignorance before 9/11 happened, okay?

• ShoeHands

PerfectFlowingHair said:

Master-Debater131 said:

PerfectFlowingHair said:

Did it ever?

Yea I think we all did.

We tried to get that bubble back, but I just dont think its coming back :\

• SwimParagon

Master-Debater131 said:

PerfectFlowingHair said:

Master-Debater131 said:

PerfectFlowingHair said:

Did it ever?

Yea I think we all did.

We tried to get that bubble back, but I just dont think its coming back :\

Our kids might... -that bubble gets popped too- dangit!