closing on the new house today
410   18

yee-haw. in 2 hours i'll be the proud, cash-strapped owner of a second home. hopefully the first home doesn't stick around too long so i don't stay cash-strapped forever. gonna start looking for buyers for the old house after next weekend when we move out.

the next 10 days is gonna put my construction abilities to the test. replacing a bunch of light fixtures, switches, and outlet boxes. probably even some new wiring to do, not sure on that one yet. putting down new floors. lots and lots of painting and scrubbing existing floors and woodwork. a little bit of plumbing. hanging new / repairing current doors. and some beer drinking, i'm sure. then the move...ugh. my favorite part.

we'll be throwing a done-moving party in the backyard with a bunch of grilled flesh and cold beverages. you f**ks are welcome to attend, but you'll have to find the place on your own. sawdoff gets the address though, because he's dropping off my housewarming beamer next week. what a stand-up guy.

man...i am so very happy for you.

i wish i could partake in the new house shenanigans.

congrats to you and mrs. wacky, and the wacky minions.

we are all caught in the wordbox
    Way to go, asshole, now we're careening off into space and will definitely die. -.- ~ perfy

dawwww. thanks! maybe i'll annoy everyone here with a stream of pics throughout the next couple weeks. it can be called "the shit you learn when you buy a 100-year-old house" or something stupid like that. might be some comedy gold in there...

i am actually excited what you do to the place. i know you have plans on re~doing some of the woodwork.

Way to go, asshole, now we're careening off into space and will definitely die. -.- ~ perfy

yep. that will (unfortunately) have to wait until probably this winter because there are a few more pressing issues, but matching woodwork design and stain colors will be a fun task. i also noticed that there's no crown molding anywhere in the house, but i think the time period and style allows for it. might try to match the style and add some of that downstairs as well.

i didn't take the following pic, but there are a few places in the house with these still installed. i haven't decided if i want to leave them or replace them. thoughts?

http://www.dohiy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/DSCF5679.jpg

i'm sure the crown molding will be fine. 100+ house, should be actually quite nice.

and...oooh, i always loved those switches.

i say keep it. polish it up.

they actually make new versions of these switches that install into new junction boxes. i have half a mind to replace the entire house with these, but i want to have dimming switches in a couple rooms for led lighting. gonna have to do some more research on that one.

well..if you can upgrade but keep the same style of switches than yes.

what rooms do you want to put the dimmers in?

dining room and kitchen will have some recessed lighting by time i'm done, and i'd like them to have dimming capability. possibly also something in the foyer.

so i googled it. there's a company that makes push button switches, where one of the buttons is also a dial for dimming. cost per switch? about $40. gonna have to think on this one...it might just be better to get some old rotary dial-style switches for those rooms.

to expand on the recessed lighting. i know that's not true to style, but there are already fixtures installed in those rooms and those fixtures have got. to. go. rather than trying to patch holes in woodwork and ceilings, i'm going to install some of these recessed led panel lights.

http://g03.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1FgBEHpXXXXaYaFXXq6xXFXXX7/221773498/HTB1FgBEHpXXXXaYaFXXq6xXFXXX7.jpg

i already have the fixtures. got them as amazon review products, and they're awesome.

• Banned

wacky1980 said:

they actually make new versions of these switches that install into new junction boxes. i have half a mind to replace the entire house with these, but i want to have dimming switches in a couple rooms for led lighting. gonna have to do some more research on that one.

I've had good results with LED lights on dimmer switches. The only noticeable difference is that the LED light is a lot brighter on the lowest setting than a incandescent bulb. But those light switches are awesome, though.

Good job on the new place. Why don't you rent your other home for an extra stream of income?

POOP

Can I move in?

all done on the new home. we ran through it for about an hour before i had to come back to work this afternoon. got a looooot of cleaning to do, but most stuff seems to be in pretty good shape.

fierydoom said:

I've had good results with LED lights on dimmer switches. The only noticeable difference is that the LED light is a lot brighter on the lowest setting than a incandescent bulb. But those light switches are awesome, though.

we have a few LEDs on dimmers in the old house. they generally work pretty well, but you have to get a newer-style dimmer. can't use the old rheostat types without causing damage to the lamps.

Good job on the new place. Why don't you rent your other home for an extra stream of income?

when we sell it (and if it sells for enough), that will net us enough cash to put a down payment on the new house and get into a really good loan program. we'll get a 15-year note at 2.875% if i can sell it before rates go up, which will probably happen later this year. if we can't sell it by october / november, we'll put a renter in there so it doesn't sit empty all winter.

new house or old? if you move into the new one, you'll be responsible for some chores...like changing diapers and washing dishes. if you're game, i'm game. you can just buy the old house if you want to move into it. it'll cost less each month to buy it than to rent it.

• Banned

2.875 is a damn good rate. If you'd rather have a smaller mortgage payment, then more power to you, sell that house!

POOP

we want to knock the rate down any way possible. either way, we'll probably pay it off faster than we have to, but a shorter term = lower rate. i don't want to be a landlord until i have quit the bank and gone fully self-employed, which won't happen until we have the bar paid off (5-7 more years). also, i'll be paying child support for up to 10 more years, and then i'll have a nice bit of income freed up to dedicate to side projects.

• Banned

wait, you own a bar?

are... are you the main character in a tv sitcom?

POOP

soon...soon. i'm still auditioning for the slightly overweight, quirky yet hilarious sidekick. if the tv sitcom thing doesn't work out, there's plenty of room for a serial drama involving vampires or crooked cops.