Can someone help me with this expression?
143   10

• Banned

I've never fully understood what the expression "star crossed lovers" is supposed to mean or represent.

But I've heard it countless times especially in romance plots where two lovers from opposite classes/castes whatever fall for one another.

Romeo and Juliet, Jack and Rose, etc.

But I really have no idea as to what the expression means.

And before one of you comes in with a cute little lmgtfy link I know what Google is, and I could have gone there if I wanted to.

I wanted to ask this question specifically to you people to get your thoughts, opinions, and responses.

Thank you.

• SwimElder

Two people that love each other very much, but something comes between them.

A love which would be the stuff of fairy tales, but for fate's cruel vicissitudes.

• Banned

It's a hopeless romance that in no way, shape or form can succeed because the stars (think astrologists) or heavens, have it destined that the people involved should NOT be in love.

POOP

• Banned

NaClO said:

A love which would be the stuff of fairy tales, but for fate's cruel vicissitudes.

So basically something as large as a star separating the two from one another.

An impossible union.

Something like that?

• Banned

FieryDoom said:

It's a hopeless romance that in no way, shape or form can succeed because the stars (think astrologists) or heavens, have it destined that the people involved should NOT be in love.

That's interesting.

I don't think I've ever heard any explanations involving astrology.

• Banned

Well, astrologists "study" the stars to "read" your future, and if you're talking about "star-crossed" lovers, it means their stars aren't aligned in their favor.

POOP

• SwimElder

Threnodic said:

NaClO said:

So basically something as large as a star separating the two from one another.

An impossible union.

Something like that?

Like it was stated it did come from people giving more weight to astrology. The romance was ill fated by the stars.

Basically impossible, but not because of the feelings that exist between the lovers.

Threnodic said:

But I've heard it countless times especially in romance plots where two lovers from opposite classes/castes whatever fall for one another.

That's what it is.

• Swimuminati

It basically means they're f**ked

• Banned

Mixboy said:

It basically means they're f**ked

alt text

POOP