Shows Whose Chance to Air on Toonami has Passed
948   20

• Toonami Banned

Shows like Magi, Log Horizon, Tiger & Bunny, Accel World, and several other shows were talked about for a while as potential Toonami picks. With there being so many must-see titles for Toonami to squeeze in as of late, it really just seems like these shows got passed over in favor of those bigger shows, and/or there's just plain no room for them, especially since two of the recent must-see shows added were long-runners.

Do you guys think these shows will ever appear on the block at this point? Well, I'm not sure if Accel World was ever strongly considered or a contender, but maybe since it was by Reki and is generally agreed upon to be superior to SAO, whilst in the same genre, they might take a look at it. It could hold people over until the next SAO season, as well. Anyway, many of these shows are past the peak of their hype. It's true that Toonami has aired shows past peak ripeness before, such as Soul Eater and Gurren Lagann, but those were both unfinished business airings, making up for ASA's mistakes. Would Toonami ever air a show later on that they didn't air earlier at peak hype? I don't even really think it is any kind of malice or dislike towards these shows or anything. The bigger shows simply got (rightly) prioritized over them. So, given that, if a slot ever opened up and there wasn't yet another must-see show that Toonami needed to put there, do you think they would ever air any of these shows?

As for Accel World specifically, I was wondering if I should just go ahead and watch it if the possibility of it airing on Toonami is so remote?

I just thought of Fairy Tail, too. But that's a little different situation. It's clear to me now that no long-runner they want badly enough will be denied for want of space on the block. They did a limit-break with Hunter x Hunter, but I figured they wouldn't go any further than that. I was wrong, as they then went and got JoJo too anyway. So, given this, it seems like they pretty much aren't even looking at Fairy Tail. Demarco has said that he's never even watched it, though Gill has. So it seems like they aren't even thinking about thinking about airing it. I suppose I could wait to see what they do when JoJo or Hunter x Hunter ends, but I'd probably just be deluding myself at that point. Of course, at the moment, I've got no room on my plate to watch another huge show, and I'm not even sure if anybody is talking about it on the board anymore. So not only does it seem like I waited too long, all my waiting was likely for nothing.

So yeah, we can probably count Fairy Tail out. But what about the others? I sure wouldn't mind seeing any of those shows on the block and I'd prefer to see them first here, than re-watch them here after I already "spoiled my appetite", so to speak. The thing is, my strategy of waiting has worked so far. I almost watched SAO and JoJo before they came to the block, and then both were picked up.

Everything created before 2010.
    Everything not in the Top 5 most popular anime in Japan at the time that Toonami decides to acquire a new series.

• Toonami

Still waiting for them to change their mind on Tiger & Bunny.

The only thing worse than maggots who want HxH removed based on personal preference are maggots who betray a show they love just because its ratings aren't to their liking. Also Ayumu.

http://pokenirvash.imgur.com/
    https://pokenirvash2.wordpress.com/

• Toonami

Go ahead and watch them on your own and don't depend on Toonami to air them to watch the dubs.

Was Called a Hipster by Ben
    Hold The Door

One-Punch Man is overrated.

• Toonami Banned

Change their mind? What do you mean by that? They didn't say no to it, did they? Only example I can think of where that happened was with Panty & Stocking. Which makes me wonder if that would change now given the more lax content standards, or if they plum just weren't interested in the show. Okay, they said no to stuff like Yugioh, too, but you know what I mean. Panty & Stocking was the only show that conceivably fit the Toonami mold that they flat out said no to; stuff like Yugioh isn't mature enough; they'll air Shonen Jump series, but not stuff quite to that level. If they did say no to other shows, they kept it to themselves.

• Toonami Banned

It's not that I depend on Toonami to air them to watch the dubs, I just enjoy watching shows on Toonami more. And this isn't just about my viewing habits, but what everyone else might think about potential acquisitions, specifically these shows whose time may have come and gone. They've done this before in the past, but again, it seems they've moved on from that?

• Banned

Accel world better than SAO? Generally agreed to be better? No. There's a reason SAO was a huge monster hit and Accel world was not.

Accel world is horrible. I tried to get through to the end, I really did. I was so close... I think I got to episode 17... and I just couldn't do it anymore.

It's boring. Really really boring. The protagonist is awful. The main girls reason for liking him is because... he got a high score in online squash. No seriously.

The entire plot of Accel world.... is just stupid.

But hey some people on here liked Dimension W, so if you liked that maybe you'll like this.

• Toonami Banned

Michiko and Hatchin makes me think we should never say never to a lot of things, though I feel pretty confident in saying Magi isn't gonna happen.

• Toonami Banned

Just about everyone I've talked to who liked SAO liked Accel World better. Even the people who didn't like SAO liked Accel World.

Well, I'll see. I'll judge for myself, of course.

I highly doubt it's as bad as Dimension W.

• Toonami Banned

Yeah, Michiko, Champloo, a few things like that. I'd say we might still have 1-2 low key shows a year? Why not?

Baccano! should have aired on adult swim long before the Toonami comeback.

"What do you mean lower myself? That's the only thing I've ever been. Just a simple human that couldn't save a little girl" -Edward Elric

• Toonami Banned

Oh yeah, definitely. Another dropped ball by ASA, of course, though they probably couldn't have aired it, given the content, back then, anyway. Now, though, Toonami could get by with it. Demarco did say they have considered airing Baccano in the past and might still air it in the future. And it's pretty unheard of for him say anything like that (usually they always say they can't discuss potential future acquisitions), so I think that one has a decent chance.

• SwimStar

off the top of my head.
    mirai nikki would've been great after dw.
    literally any show would've worked instead of tenchi gxp.
    fma 03 would've worked after brotherhood ended the first time on toonami.
    not a show, but it's mindboggling that redline never made it to a movie night. how does that even happen?
    c control would've been great after casshern. but i dont think it was dubbed by then.
    gunslinger girl maybe would've worked.

"Right. Because it seems to me that you’re exhibiting symptoms of depression, low self worth and anxiety."
    "Those are all different things, right?"

• Toonami Banned

Yeah they wasted a lot of slots on things like GXP and Champloo, sadly.

Maybe. At the end of the day, it's just another rerun, though. Best to avoid that. And it's not like FMA03 and the FMA franchise in general didn't get plenty of airtime.

Yeah I have no idea. Maybe it would have if they had the budget to properly do the second Month of Movies or if movies never got banned from the network.

Gunslinger Girl sadly would probably be "too old" for the block. Demarco has said before that shows that look "too old" to casual viewers get bad ratings. It's like how a lot of people refuse to watch black and white movies just because they're black and white. It's sad, but it is what it is.

Edit - Eh? This series is from 2002. It could probably air, then... maybe. What show am I thinking of, then? Oh, I could've sworn there was a series called Gunslinger Girls from the 80s, but it seems to have been wiped from space-time. That's weird.

Edit 2 - Maybe I am thinking of Gunsmith Cats. I think that's the one. Looks like it's from the 90s, though. Don't know why I thought it was called Gunslinger Girls since I've never even seen any images or heard about Gunslinger Girl and it's obviously not what was I thinking of. That's strange.

• Banned

Future Diary should have been an obvious choice given its popularity.

• Helper

Like Baccano unless Aniplex of America brings it back on the table Darker than Black is out of the running and it's a darn shame for both of those series.

Chance to air is a difficult thing to put my finger on because if the reason why various shows didn't air was lack of interest then did they ever really have a chance? There was at least a point in time when they could have aired but another show took priority. Toonami's made a point of grabbing shows they wanted that ended up on some other network or streaming venue once they became available again such as Shippuden, DBZ Kai and Final Act. Given that they may actually try to get Sailor Moon Crystal some day but I can't think of anything else they most likely definitely wanted that slipped through their fingertips at one point or another.

• Toonami

Escaflowne.

But honestly, was never a fan of them going back and picking up shows they didn't get the chance to air. Seemed counter intuitive to the whole let's not live in the past. Guess they kind of tossed that away for good though. So who knows.

Was Called a Hipster by Ben
    Hold The Door

• Toonami

Guess they're only using it as a last resort now, like they did with Champloo being their last-minute replacement for Michiko.

The only thing worse than maggots who want HxH removed based on personal preference are maggots who betray a show they love just because its ratings aren't to their liking. Also Ayumu.

http://pokenirvash.imgur.com/
    https://pokenirvash2.wordpress.com/

Venomlord said:

Go ahead and watch them on your own and don't depend on Toonami to air them to watch the dubs.

I honestly do not understand their obsession with seeing these shows air on an obscure and unwatched block of tv on a childrens cartoon channel.
    Anime does not belong on American TV.
    The only reason they air it is out of pity for its fans.
    It made more sense before as high speed internet was less popular.
    but now a days even people in the developing world can stream anime online with no real problem.
    Anime on tv is stupid and anyone thinking its important is stupid too.

The professor sat down, utterly defeated by the young man's overwhelming brilliance.
    That young man’s name?
    Albert Einstein.