5 Major Problems with Toonami and why it is what it is
842   35

1. Never-ending carousel of new shonen
    2. Won't play anything that didn't come out within the past five years
    3. Ultra conservative and predictable in its acquisitions
    4. Clings to the past as if this is geared toward young-ins
    5. Inflated content ratings (PG disclaimer means Y7 here)

None of this is by accident. I think it's all part of a conspiracy brought about by years of dissonance at AS. We mostly have Futurama and Family Guy to blame for that, for, in the beginning, ASA had its own night and flavor. When AS expanded to weeknights, comedy and action each took up exactly half of the weeknight airspace. Mega comedy series like Futurama and Family Guy appeared and bolstered the popularity of AS. Integration began and anime was relegated to a lesser status. Ratings ratings ratings. Anime, America's greatest imported good, started to lose its presence on AS. Ratings ratings ratings. AS grew further: regaining Saturdays, adding the 2am-6am timeslots, expanding to Fridays, adding the AS Fix to its website but, despite that growth, anime would never again be in the limelight. Ratings ratings ratings.

Toonami's return was what the AS Comedy heads preferred over ASA. They wanted the comedy fans to not feel alienated and to occasionally tune into Toonami and say, "Oh look! Dragon Ball Z! Anime sure is for kids! :) " because to allow the Toonami producers to play high-quality seinen would explode the myth and send the comedy fanatics into a frenzy. They know anime is a threat and they want to keep it suppressed for as long as they can. It's like when Frieza fears the legend of the Super Saiyan and annihilates the Saiyan race. The AS Comedy folks fear what anime can become if the Toonami producers aren't being controlled in terms of what they can and cannot show.

• Check It Out!

uhhh...

• Swimuminati

Chocolate_Soda said:

uhhh...

• SwimComrad Banned

Who gives a f**k about cartoons
    try actually living life.
    COCAINE!

• Banned

Hah. Well if its true that stuff like Death Note and Parasyte get low ratings, we have to assume that the people watching don't really want Seinen.

Which is too bad because it leads to having unwatchable crap like Naruto and One Piece, but if that's the audience ya gotta play stuff they want.

nb4 JMAN

Chocolate_Soda said:

uhhh...

They don't want the truth to get out. They know an anime insurrection could ensue. (Think along the lines of the French Revolution)

• SwimComrad Banned

Alright I have my wits about me now!
    Atleast as many as I ever have at a given time,
    so here is what I think.
    ASMB needs to start over from scratch....
    pull the whole lineup, stop showing shitty Family Guy reruns,
    dismantle Toonami.
    Shows lots of Off the Air...
    give us uncut adult anime.
    Like Elfen Lied .
    Bring Tim and Eric back.......
    ok my mind is trailing now.

Agreed. At least as far as the anime goes.

(Cautiously takes coke away from you)

Come on now, friend. We don't need this...

• SwimComrad Banned

Zenigundam said:

Agreed. At least as far as the anime goes.

(Cautiously takes coke away from you)

Come on now, friend. We don't need this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fsVpGzscBA

You might wanna give that back.
    I just want Off the Air and Tim and Eric on Sundays, some weird and calming stuff
    after my weekend benders....
    But yeah Elfen Lied and what else what be good,
    oh how about Prison School
    Tokyo Ghoul
    Ajin

• SwimVIP Banned

"Wait, I don't remember 'Allahu Akbar' being in the lyrics..." - Eagles Of Death Metal

Zoos, don't tell me you gave this guy some of your supply...

• SwimComrad Banned

No.
    If I did he would be happy,
    Not bitchy and angry.

• SwimSage Banned

Agreed with 1-4, not sure about 5 since I don't pay attention to the ratings.

• SwimSage Banned

Just think this would have had atleast 10 s if this was posted a month ago.

• SwimVIP

1. Not true. Parasyte isn't Shonen.

2. Not true. In fact, the first show, Deadman Wonderland was fresh and new to the block completely.

3. Not true. Kill La Kill is the last show you would expect to see on an animation block that used to be geared towards kids.

4. Same as #2.

5. Not true. Black Lagoon and Samurai Champloo both push the envelope pretty hard.

Lol very true. I know DeusMasq would have been logging into his alts going !!

• SwimVIP Banned

The only alts I have are activated once a main is banned.

But maybe you can't grasp that some people here don't use alts as your alt account abuse is at another level.

"Wait, I don't remember 'Allahu Akbar' being in the lyrics..." - Eagles Of Death Metal

1. Parasyte is the only good show on Toonami imo. I never said that everything on it was shonen.

2. Deadman Wonderland is one of the worst anime I've ever seen and aired only months after ending in Japan.

3. Kill la Kill is a FLCL clone.

4. Well #2 was debunked.

5. What about the twenty-five or so series that gently sealed the envelope and sent it out via first-class mail even though it was only a letter to mom?

• SwimVIP

Now, as far as Toonami airing shows with brands based on their past kids shows, when Toonami decided to come back on AS, this is what fans asked for and what they got.

They have to appeal to both the fans that want classic shows like Dragon Ball and the majority that want fresh shows like One Punch Man.

Otherwise, nobody will watch the block at all.

• Banned

1. Parasyte sucks.

2. WHO. F**KING. CARES.