4

Ancient celts did not wear kilts.
1029   31

  • Check It Out!
    3

    The kilt in its most recognizable form was created and worn by Jacobites - Scots, Irish, and Englishmen who wanted to restore a Catholic ruler to the crown in the late-17th to mid-18th centuries.

    Ancient celts, on the other hand, wore linen pants the majority of the time, though some would wear leather pants on the battlefield to better protect the skin. Some did wear plaid - or tartan, the pattern that indicated to which clan they belonged - but it was typically their woolen cloaks that bore the recognizable criss-crossed pattern rather than leg-wear (and even then it was virtually limited to the Scots). The cloaks themselves were oft times simply blankets draped over the shoulders with enough slack to pull over the head as a hood. They were pinned at the shoulder with brooches to secure them in place. Celts wore long-sleeved tunics of varying color, though saffron yellow, deep greens, and vibrant blues were the most common. Celtic tunics reached from mid-thigh to the knee according to the weather of the season and region, as opposed to tunics from warmer climes such as the Mediterranean which typically reached from waist-height to just below the groin.

    The Irish, however, were known to wear their tunics without pants. They would simply fasten their belts around their waists over the tunics to keep them secured to the body. This method is claimed by many to be the source of the idea that the ancient celts wore kilts, as such is depicted on engravings found around the island from the early middle ages.


  • SwimNinja
    4

    alttext

    Here in Cloud Cuckoo Land, there are no rules: There's no government, no baby sitters, no bedtimes, no frowny faces, no bushy mustaches, and no negativity of any kind. And there's also no consistency.


  • Check It Out!
    0

    Furthermore, ancient celtic men almost never bore clean-shaven faces as such was seen as unfitting for a grown man. The most typical facial hair among all celtic peoples - from the gaels of Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and Cornwall to the goidels of Gaul and Brittany - was a bushy mustache grown long at the ends (not a handlebar - only the whiskers of the upper lip were kept and grown long). Beards were typically reserved more for the wizened and elderly of the clans.


  • 0

    That's going back a very long time.


  • Check It Out!
    0

    Zenigundam said:

    That's going back a very long time.

    Not that all, all things considered. Civilization had already existed since nearly 5,000 years prior to the early middle ages. Between the middle ages and now, there's only about 1,300 years.


  • 0

    There's one person left in the universe who was alive during the 19th century. Nobody from the Middle Ages, let alone the Iron Age, is even close to living.


  • Banned
    0

    Is it still ok if I think celtic guys and guys wearing kilts are hot?


  • Banned
    1

    Hail to the king.


  • Helper
    0

    Vikings never wore the helmets with the horns

    What the hell is that behind you


  • 0

    But they did love to build ships.


  • Special Snowflake
    0

    Did you misuse the Iron Age? It happened way before the Middle Ages . . .

    Memento Mori


  • 0

    Nope the Iron Age.


  • 0

    And the Norse were much cooler.


  • Check It Out!
    0

    viperxmns said:

    Vikings never wore the helmets with the horns

    Not regularly in combat, though. Horned and winged helms have been found but in such low quantity that they are believed to have been ceremonial rather than functional.


  • Check It Out!
    0

    CircleOfTheTyrants said:

    And the Norse were much cooler.

    I'd say they were even in terms of coolness. A lot of their ways of life were very similar to that of the celts, and they integrated into celtic societies far better than they integrated into Angle society. Which is funny because the Angles were their distant relatives.


  • ShoeHands
    0

    Oooooooooooh. Now I get it.


  • Babbling
    0

    Chocolate_Soda said:

    CircleOfTheTyrants said:

    And the Norse were much cooler.

    I'd say they were even in terms of coolness. A lot of their ways of life were very similar to that of the celts, and they integrated into celtic societies far better than they integrated into Angle society. Which is funny because the Angles were their distant relatives.

    The Norse would take Celts as slaves. Lots of melding of cultures.


  • Banned
    0

    brian_boru said:

    https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3289/2741023652_7ed14e64fe_b.jpg

    For an elderly guy... he's not bad looking at all really.


  • Check It Out!
    0

    ThorsPenor said:

    Chocolate_Soda said:

    CircleOfTheTyrants said:

    And the Norse were much cooler.

    I'd say they were even in terms of coolness. A lot of their ways of life were very similar to that of the celts, and they integrated into celtic societies far better than they integrated into Angle society. Which is funny because the Angles were their distant relatives.

    The Norse would take Celts as slaves. Lots of melding of cultures.

    The Norse took everyone as slaves


  • Babbling
    0

    They're called Anglo! Although as fisherman they probably did some angling too.


  • Check It Out!
    0

    ThorsPenor said:

    They're called Anglo! Although as fisherman they probably did some angling too.

    bro do you even history
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angles


Log in to reply