Last night's episode of Preacher
313   10

• Swimuminati

wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

-She just fed that guy to him....whyyyyy

-and that old dude was just re-living that time in hell

I love this show

• SwimLegend

I loved that episode. I was kinda thinking Ratwaterwas a shithole but I didn't realize it was hell until they showed the story in its entirety. I was like wait a minute this is reminding me of another story about hell where one moment in time was lived over and over again

Oh bother...

• SwimLegend

Oh she fed him to Cassidy cuz the Mayor's a dick. I mean seriously, where does he even get the cajones to tell her I'm staying over. He didn't ask. He made a statement of fact

Oh bother...

• Swimuminati

That end scene that they kept repeating was trippy as ballz....can they just take people out of hell....why not get Eugene then

also, come on, she owned that dude....he said one dickish thing, but she was large in charge....he did nothing to deserve what he got anyway >.> I felt bad for him

That's one thing I didn't get -- this show's actual concept of Hell goes against what the characters have said about it and Eugene's predicament. Why would the angels fear Hell if it's just a person's subjective experience? It's not like they're going through any turmoil (though in this case there is because they're going for the Saint of Killers). Unless there is an actual Hell and they just took an elevator to his personal one. I feel they didn't give much actual thought to this, which is a shame considering how things go down in Hell in the comics is just so damn cool.

Anyways, the season finale was the best episode of the season but also the one that proves everything before it was a pretty huge waste of time. They could have easily done this prequel season in five or six episodes... or even gotten the character introductions done in three. One for Jesse, one for Cassidy, and one for Tulip, then road trip with better pacing for a great season.

Oh well, Season 2 is going to be fantastic if the finale is any indication now that we're through with introductions. Hit all the right character beats and was on the nose with its tone.

• Banned

Preacher is a TV show? Why? The comic was essentially wrote by a college freshman who found out he could drop the f-bomb in class and still get a grade.

Custer's quest didn't even make sense. All I got was that he was mad at God for allowing creation to exist without his interference. Seriously, what did he want, God to be like a dad that moved into the house and still keep barking orders his whole life? What a bitch.

• Swimuminati

I wasn't familiar with the comic, so I don't have a point of reference, but I liked the season. I'm definitely looking forward to things outside that shit hole town though...

The Hell side story with that guy was imo worth the watch...like I said, I don't know what happened in the comics, but I think they did a good job keeping viewers interested while setting all this up...

• SwimNinja

Opium said:

That's one thing I didn't get -- this show's actual concept of Hell goes against what the characters have said about it and Eugene's predicament. Why would the angels fear Hell if it's just a person's subjective experience? It's not like they're going through any turmoil (though in this case there is because they're going for the Saint of Killers). Unless there is an actual Hell and they just took an elevator to his personal one. I feel they didn't give much actual thought to this, which is a shame considering how things go down in Hell in the comics is just so damn cool.

Anyways, the season finale was the best episode of the season but also the one that proves everything before it was a pretty huge waste of time. They could have easily done this prequel season in five or six episodes... or even gotten the character introductions done in three. One for Jesse, one for Cassidy, and one for Tulip, then road trip with better pacing for a great season.

Oh well, Season 2 is going to be fantastic if the finale is any indication now that we're through with introductions. Hit all the right character beats and was on the nose with its tone.

All of this except I'm not optimistic about the next season unless the showrunners get a better handle on directing and writing a tv show. The pacing feels almost amateurish sometimes, the emotions in scenes are jumpy, and a lot of scenes focus on reveals(even the tiniest ones) instead of actual storytelling.

"The enemy of my enemy is just another man standing in my way." -Nikita

• Helper

Opium said:

For all the noise the show runners make about introducing the characters and setting up the story

not showing Satan getting killed after the Saint of Killers agrees to take over from the Angel of Death really leave a fair amount hanging.

One thing that gets me about the Annville story was how poorly defined Odin Quincannon was as a villain. I didn't follow the comic far enough to see how he was originally envisioned. The only part about his character that was well done was his grief-fueled blasphemy.

This adaptation was still pretty entertaining, so I'm hopeful that the narrative and pacing improves.

Mixboy said:

I wasn't familiar with the comic, so I don't have a point of reference, but I liked the season. I'm definitely looking forward things outside that shit hole town though...

The Hell side story with that guy was imo worth the watch...like I said, I don't know what happened in the comics, but I think they did a good job keeping viewers interested while setting all this up...

I honestly don't see how. If I wasn't familiar with the comics and I just started watching this show, I'd be mighty bored. Character motivations are poorly fleshed out (particularly Emily, whose character just seems absolutely pointless), and nothing really happens much in the town until Jesse sets to call down God. The most interesting aspect of Annville -- its defining characteristic -- is that it blows up.

And I felt The Saint could have had an entire episode or two dedicated to him instead of a fractured moment. It honestly doesn't need to be rushed if they took some time to schedule and plot. They seem to think audiences find Preacher to be conceptual rocket science.