Do you believe that a homogenous world culture is an inevitable consequence of the rise of society?
292   13

• Lord Of the Munge Façade

Assuming, of course, that we do not meet a catastrophic end along the way?

I think probably yeah, eventually.

I think it's going to be a long long time.

Till touchdown brings me round again to find,

I'm not the man they think I am at home; oh no, no, no.

alt text

So Luuv hooked me up with a custom rank.

Which means I only have two more prizes to claim, plus an image sig.

So that's where we stand.

• SwimNinja

Not unless aliens come and we all ally against them.

Here in Cloud Cuckoo Land, there are no rules: There's no government, no baby sitters, no bedtimes, no frowny faces, no bushy mustaches, and no negativity of any kind. And there's also no consistency.

• Banned

Dude.... can you share some weed with me? I could use some relaxation right now bro. :(

Do you think the geographical location known as America will be the same 200 years from now? 400?

You don't think we'll eventually end up annexing Canada and Mexico?

America in the year 2942 might encompass the extent of the western continents, or, we might all be speaking Chinese.

Societies grow, intermingle, the lines between them blur as their identities begin to overlap.

Given enough time and connections, does it not stand to reason that one day we will all be members of a universal human society?

• Babbling

I believe that we could reach a kind of worldwide utopia if no meteorite disaster strikes.

• Banned

Not possible.

As Jesus once said, violent minorities will always be with us.

Would it be a utopia though?

The optimal scenario is of course a society which promotes universal self-actualization; however this is by no means a prerequisite of being a singular culture.

Mankind could be united under the yoke of its own oppression; a world of slaves laboring without end in hazardous atmospheres...

Do you think our unification will be achieved through peace or by conquest?

• Assy McGee Banned

I think it will first come through economic factors. There have already been inklings of that with NAFTA, the Euro, and other such things. Eventually a point will be reached where production and distribution is more organized and competition is realized as pointless. Right now it's a f**king mess and like you I think it'll be a really long time. We are at an interesting point but people can't emotionally handle the level of social contact available to us. But when you consider how much we've grown over 200 years it makes me a little hopeful.

that was an episode of twilight zone.

aliens showed up. said that there was a council about earth, and that earth

needed to get rid of all their weapons. because human society was failing blah blah blah.

then the aliens invaded earth.

we are all caught in the wordbox
    Way to go, asshole, now we're careening off into space and will definitely die. -.- ~ perfy

• SwimParagon

Now I miss Twilight Zone. :(

"I feel like I should be banning way more of you." -- SwimMod_Luuv

• Thunder Goddess

“None of us are saints.” – Albert Fish
    "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" -- Stephen Wright

• Banned

Too far off in the future to predict how exactly I think but globalization is an inevitable process

• Banned

Governmentally, things will probably evolve to a point where you have a government above other governments. Though it would probably operate like Olympic rings instead of a top-down pyramid. How much sooner or later that is achieved is to be seen.

On the other hand, there will never be a single world culture. New cultures are sprouting up all the time, especially with the Internet. Wiccan teeny-boppers and Pagans have essentially reached the mass where they can pretty much create other generations of people like them. Ditto for metalheads and gamers. It can be argued that Democrats and Republicans are becoming their own cultures as polls have shown that politics is playing a more important role in choosing a mate. Even in the US, you have seen Black American and gay cultures become an entities all their own. People are just splitting into different groups all the time. One hundred years from now you'll probably have twice as many cultures.