NOW ON TOONAMI MARATHON STREAM (7/25-7/29): DBZ KAI!!
437   16

• Mobile Suit Gundam

I guess you might call this one "The Evolution of Cell", as the Monday-Wednesday offering of 5 episodes began with Cell in his original form and his origins, and then ended with him closing in on Android 17.

Most likely the stream will advance in a few hours and depict Android 17 being absorbed by Cell and him becoming his "half-evolved" imperfect form, and we might even get to see the absorption of Android 18 and Cell reaching his true form.

If you need to catch up on the first 5 episodes of the marathon, you'll get your chance as soon as the SDCC Panel Pre-Flight ends in about 30 minutes. And then tonight the next 5 will likely replace it.

Don't Miss an All-New One Punch Man every Saturday at midnight! Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans follows at 12:30! Only @Toonami!

• SwimVIP

:|

And the Universe said, "Let there be Zeni's YouTube Channel". And so it was. And it was good.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Zenigundam

• SwimSuperFan

Zenigundam said:

Typical.

Hey, when they last had DBZ Kai on the stream, was it still on the episodes featuring Frieza?

I have reached acceptance.

Blatch's Toonami Ratings Timeline

Escalator

• Wednesdays: Squid Girl (in my dedicated thread)
    • Sundays: TBA
    • Random days: Re:ZERO (anime watching thread, w/ commentary on Imgur)

• Mobile Suit Gundam

Blatch0 said:

Zenigundam said:

Typical.

Hey, when they last had DBZ Kai on the stream, was it still on the episodes featuring Frieza?

Nah, they did feature the Androids!

Also, I had suspected that they might have skipped an episode, and I was right. They may have even skipped TWO episodes. The 2nd in the sequence I know is missing.

Don't Miss an All-New One Punch Man every Saturday at midnight! Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans follows at 12:30! Only @Toonami!

• Toonami

Zenigundam said:

Now Zeni is a busta too.

As for the stream, I'd like to think that they skipped episodes to show a condensed version of Imperfect Cell, but my gut tells me that it's just general carelessness on the part of the stream that skipped episodes.

My Hummingbird: https://hummingbird.me/users/CaptainStarwind

Fucking WHAT?

• SwimSuperFan

CaptainStarwind said:

Zenigundam said:

Now Zeni is a busta too.

As for the stream, I'd like to think that they skipped episodes to show a condensed version of Imperfect Cell, but my gut tells me that it's just general carelessness on the part of the stream that skipped episodes.

I would like to add Jman to the list of confirmed bustas up in this joint.

And yeah, whoever runs the stream tends to be pretty careless. I remember when they didn't even bother showing any of Dimension W past #5.

Escalator

• Mobile Suit Gundam

Well, this time, it did advance. In the first episode, Android 17 was absorbed. And now Middle-Cell is in hot pursuit of Android 18, but Tien is going for broke in effort to stop him!

• Toonami

Blatch0 said:

And yeah, whoever runs the stream tends to be pretty careless. I remember when they didn't even bother showing any of Dimension W past #5.

I've just concluded that the Toonami stream is an afterthought to the Toonami crew, if they're even the ones who run it.

Ya know, maybe it's just me complaining, but a lot of Toonami feels like an afterthought. Like, remember when they used to change bumpers more than once every 3 months? Of course, I realize that the shows are the important part (and with OPM and Jojo, they're doing a bang up job with those), but I used to like the bumper changes.

Fucking WHAT?

• SwimVIP Banned

So this is an appropriate time for a Bruce Faulconer link?

Cool:

mega.co.nz/#F!9d4jkYzR!CPlPL10_HQw3y6mAWBVxnQ

Depending on which episodes they are, check that last few files in the Part 6 folder / first two in Part 7.

"Wait, I don't remember 'Allahu Akbar' being in the lyrics..." - Eagles Of Death Metal

• Mobile Suit Gundam

CaptainStarwind said:

Blatch0 said:

I've just concluded that the Toonami stream is an afterthought to the Toonami crew, if they're even the ones who run it.

Ya know, maybe it's just me complaining, but a lot of Toonami feels like an afterthought. Like, remember when they used to change bumpers more than once every 3 months? Of course, I realize that the shows are the important part (and with OPM and Jojo, they're doing a bang up job with those), but I used to like the bumper changes.

Yeah, in 2014, they changed them up every 2 months or so. I know Hellsing Ultimate got 3 different bumper sets, which is remarkable since it only had 10 episodes. InuYasha: The Final Act (which sort of replaced it) also got 3, but that's because all of them were changed on March 28th. Deadman Wonderland's rerun only got one; for the first 12 weeks of 2015, they had the same set. I believe 2015 is when it started being about every 3 months, but June 20th (when Michiko & Hatchin hit the lineup) was another big change; then they became more frequent again with big changes when Akame ga KILL! arrived and later Parasyte. But around that time, there was also new bump MUSIC for the intro each week! And then Intruder II ended the year in grand fashion with a different bump set EVERY week!

At least usually in 2015, new show meant new bumper set, but that hasn't been the case in 2016. Both Dimension W and Gundam IBO just got added to an existing bumper set, which all stayed the same around them except where they were involved. This might also be a consequence of the "Now, Next, Later" bumps being removed from Halloween 2015 onward. I'm sure it made for a lot less work. Also, due to this change, Dimension W got 2 bumper sets, and so far Gundam IBO has also had 2. But One-Punch Man might actually end up having only a single bumper set throughout its premiere run, like Deadman Wonderland back in 2012. Hopefully not though, because Jojo won't be here for long when Intruder III begins. It most likely will end up being an "added" bumper set. I suspect we'll actually see new bumpers on September 10th, and then those will ride out the rest of the year until Intruder III begins!

So I guess in short, it appears that Toonami more or less phones in the first half of the year, but then in the 2nd half the new content is usually quite plentiful, what with all the special bumps for marathons and the TIE. I suppose 2013-2014 were somewhat similar with the Month of Movies.

The Marathon Stream is a different beast entirely, though. When it first arrived in 2015, it would play a whole 2-cour series in a week! Not anymore though. In those days, it was the long-runners that were often shunted due to skipped episodes and other sorts of irregularities, but now due to the fact that the "regular" 1- and 2-cour series only get 10 of their episodes played, they're pretty much screwed, and now in a hoot of a reversal, since the long-runners' LAST 10 episodes play, assuming they're still airing on Toonami, it actually makes more sense to watch them as a catch-up than the short runners!

• SwimSuperFan

I guess the purpose of the marathon stream is to introduce people to past Toonami series they might potentially enjoy. If they want to go further, they can buy the DVD.

That sounds a little toothless, but it would be nice if they could add some commercials from Funi and Sentai for their respective shows.

Escalator

• SwimVIP Banned

Blatch0 said:

That sounds a little toothless, but it would be nice if they could add some commercials from Funi and Sentai for their respective shows.

I'm...kinda surprised they haven't done this actually.

Or even aired their commercials on TV.

"Wait, I don't remember 'Allahu Akbar' being in the lyrics..." - Eagles Of Death Metal

• Mobile Suit Gundam

Actually, when Toonami first returned, it featured commercials for Fractale, another FUNimation show, and they aired anywhere among Deadman Wonderland, Casshern Sins, and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (the Summer 2012 FUNi shows).

Getting to the topic of the thread, the current offering of the stream is indeed the "Evolution of Cell", as in the first episode of the set of 5, he's in his "bug" form, absorbs Android 17, and advances to his middle form. In the last episode, with the unwitting lovestruck help of Krillin and the maddening pride of Vegeta, he finally catches up to Android 18 and achieves his perfect form!

I had forgotten that DBZ Kai only has 4 episodes between Cell's absorption of 17 and 18, but that's how it is! I STILL can't seem to catch how the hell Piccolo manages to come back from the dead and return to the Lookout Tower though; that "bugs" me!

"Bugs suck!"

• Saitama

• SwimSuperFan

And weren't there ads for Gundam Wing and other old Bandai Entertainment shows, back when they had exited the industry and were clearing out their stock? I remember that happening during the April Fools' Day broadcast in '12, at least.

Escalator

• Mobile Suit Gundam

Blatch0 said:

And weren't there ads for Gundam Wing and other old Bandai Entertainment shows, back when they had exited the industry and were clearing out their stock? I remember that happening during the April Fools' Day broadcast in '12, at least.

Yes, and that also happened during the earlier part of Eureka 7. I remember seeing Big O and Gundam Wing commericals there, PRODUCED BY TOONAMI like was done with the 4/1/12 stunt, in late 2012!

BTW, Piccolo is rescued by Goku, who takes him and Tien back to the tower in the 2nd episode of the rotation. As #79 aired most recently and is the episode in which Perfect Cell emerges, I guess it must be #76. So to sum it all up, they played #70, and #72-#79, unwittingly skipping #71.

I wonder if we'll even see another on-air Marathon for DBZ Kai. They might be hedging their bets on it doing good in a late-night slot, like doubled-up at 3 AM. Since One-Punch Man likely has LDW, nothing else but One Piece would make a lick of sense the Saturday before Halloween, and Gundam IBO most likely will take Thanksgiving Weekend, that leaves Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. One will go to Jojo, the other probably to DBZ Kai!

• Toonami

Blatch0 said:

Yep, they did air all of those on April Fools Day, though I believe they were required to air those, as that's how they were able to get the show rights for free.

As for the actual block itself, there was the Fractale commercial during 2012, and I remember seeing a promo for Akame Ga Kill earlier this year, and perhaps at the end of 2015.

Eureka Seven was an interesting situation. From what I can tell, the only way that they were able to license the show was to air promos for Bandai licensed shows, since at the time, Bandai was only producing new DVDs for their current shows, and not licensing any new ones. When I recorded Toonami back then I wrote down what promos for what shows aired during the Eureka Seven commercial break. I'll list them here:

8/18/2012
    Outlaw Star DVD Commercial (E7 Break First Run)
    Gundam Wing DVD Commercial (E7 Break Encore)

8/25/2012
    Big O DVD Commercial (E7 Break Encore)

9/1/2012
    Gundam Wing DVD Commercial (E7 Break First Run and Encore)

9/8/2012
    Gundam Wing DVD Commercial (E7 Break Encore)

Interestingly enough, Toonami seemed to vary the promo that ran during the initial run and rerun of the block. For the first week of Eureka Seven, they aired the exact same commercials as they did on April Fools Day: old TOM, old Absolution, everything. After that they used new TOM footage to match the current look of the block, and used the same clips and audio from April Fools Day.

Since Bandai announced the end of their DVD production entirely at the end of August 2012, I would assume that's why Toonami stopped airing promos for their DVDs. If anyone who watched the show remembers, Toonami used to air commercials for Ben 10 toys during the Eureka Seven commercial break. That's probably what they had to air in lieu of promoting Bandai anime, especially since Bandai was the licensor for Ben 10 toys.

Fucking WHAT?