Freedom of Speech does not exist
390   16

• SwimVIP Banned

"Wait, I don't remember 'Allahu Akbar' being in the lyrics..." - Eagles Of Death Metal

• Check It Out!

Disgusting. I hate this f**king country.

• Banned

The city paid for the mural, they had every right to paint over it.

Hail to the king.

• Check It Out!

Right, just overlook the fact that the entire community understands there was blatant censorship from the start. It makes it more convenient to tell people to get over it that way.

• Assy McGee Banned

His point is completely valid though. They commissioned a mural and the artist used it to make social commentary that the government didn't like, so they painted over it. It's a tourist and emigrant perspective they come from. They want people to visit and move there to bring in money, and if you paint the reality of the city on the ground they can't make it look better than any other city. It's not about censorship, it's about PR.

• Banned

gets shit canned because they think it's racist when it turns out to be a self portrait

Good, f**k'em. Free speech isn't about protecting speech that's popular, but what is unpopular. Popular speech doesn't need protecting. I bet these c**ts would be cheering if some "racist" got silenced or something perceived to be racist was taken down/destroyed. Now they get silenced by the path of good intentions they have paved.

I hope everyone involved learned a very valuable lesson about free speech this day.

• Check It Out!

The artist was forced to paint over the image of himself - a dark-skinned Italian/Puerto Rican - in the Jail square because it was perceived as racist. So your point is kind of null and void.

• Check It Out!

Cosmic_Charlie said:

His point is completely valid though. They commissioned a mural and the artist used it to make social commentary that the government didn't like, so they painted over it. It's a tourist and emigrant perspective they come from. They want people to visit and move there to bring in money, and if you paint the reality of the city on the ground they can't make it look better than any other city. It's not about censorship, it's about PR.

It's about hiding the fact that their town has some unsavory qualities to it. But that's your average American town. Instead of trying to cover up what people are going to discover for themselves anyway, they should embrace the good and the bad of their town and make conscious efforts to make it better. Sweeping shit under the rug to lie to tourists is not okay.

But you're right. Stilgar's point was valid. Regardless of the whats or the whys, the city bought the mural and holds the right to paint over it. That doesn't save them from criticism, though.

• Assy McGee Banned

Not at all, they deserve criticism for it. I mean f**k, we're all Americans and at least 30% of us are aware that every city of a certain size has its problems.

• Banned

You're really missing the irony here aren't you?

• Check It Out!

I guess so? I don't know. You used the very scenario that took place to mock the people who are saying it was censorship. Knowing you and your rascally ideals, that seemed pretty close to the nonsense you usually spew here.

So if this was the one time you decided to be ironic, forgive me for it going over my head.

• Banned

It was shut down because it could be perceived as racist. This caused people to become upset and protest it being shut down. These same people would have celebrated if something they perceived as racist was shut down, but since it happened to them it means "freedom of speech does not exist."

Chocolate_Soda said:

No you don't...

• Check It Out!

Zenigundam said:

Chocolate_Soda said:

No you don't...

I do, and when I finally get my shit together I'm abandoning ship.

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• Check It Out!

Derp I really f**ked that one up, didn't I?