Im out of melatonin
971   33

• SwimPunk Banned

Gonna be here awhile

• Thunder Goddess

Oh, shit! I hate when that happens (Running out of melatonin - can't sleep without it.)

“None of us are saints.” – Albert Fish
    "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" -- Stephen Wright

• SwimElder Banned

fuggz

I got your Melatonin right here.

"I'm moving and not moving at all. I'm like the moon underneath the waves that ever go on rolling and rocking."

• Banned

Go to Walgreens and get some more melatonins.

• Banned

That stuff has never worked for me.

If you gotta go go with a smile

• Toonami

Fugglyfe said:

Gonna be here awhile

MELAMELLAMEEEEEELLLLLLA!!!!

• Banned

Sawdamizer said:

Some people are wired differently.

It's definitely not a knockout pill like Ambien or a drowsiness-inducer like diphenhydramine or doxylamine.

It's a natural hormone produced by the body due to lots of natural reasons, circadian rhythm, lowering levels of light, levels of cortisol in the body.

I find that it is generally only helpful after a standard day, moderate physical and mental exertion, and the natural winding down cycle that most people slide into at the end of the day.

It is a supplement and not a drug, which means there are no guarantees that it will do anything.

A few years ago I took 150mg of melatonin early on on a fairly regular day and did not reach a point where I felt like if I crawled into bed I would be out like a light.

It was a rather unpleasant experience, to be honest, and I do not recommend anyone attempt a similar experiment.

This isn't to say that I wouldn't recommend a low dosage to someone suffering from sleep onset latency. Low doses aren't going to hurt anything and aren't known to cause paradoxical effects like a lot of over the counter and prescription sleep aids. Who knows, it might help but if it doesn't it doesn't carry a lot of potential risks or negative side effects.

Basically I think the best result one can hope to achieve with a supplemental dose of melatonin is if the person has engaged in a relatively normal day to slightly elevated 12-16 hour of normal waking stresses to the mind and body.

• SwimPunk Banned

Sawdamizer said:

It keeps me from staying up all night wasting time. I was already drowsy but the switch to actually being asleep wouldn't flip. Melatonin flips the switch. It also helps that i cut out most of the caffeine i use to consume.

• Thunder Goddess

For me, it increases the quality of sleep as well - every med I'm on decreases REM sleep, so I either don't dream or I have those awful NREM dreams. The melatonin seems to balance things out so I have a more normal sleep cycle with "normal" dreams, and I wake up feeling like I've actually slept.

“None of us are saints.” – Albert Fish
    "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" -- Stephen Wright

• Banned

Fugglyfe said:

Sawdamizer said:

It keeps me from staying up all night wasting time. I was already drowsy but the switch to actually being asleep wouldn't flip. Melatonin flips the switch. It also helps that i cut out most of the caffeine i use to consume.

Yeah caffeine consumption can really mess with your bodies natural rhythms because it's not a supplement, it's a drug.

A drug of the stimulant class which goes without saying at this point that has negative effects on more of the "winding down" processes the brain and body go through.

I am a caffeine addict unfortunately. I don't need it in the mornings but it is such a helpful tool. My problem lies with the constant and repeated consumption of caffeinated beverages. Even as I write this post I'm popping open a Lo-Carb Monster energy drink at 10pm at night. Definetely not going to do any favors in helping me wind down for bed.

• Banned

mthor said:

For me, it increases the quality of sleep as well - every med I'm on decreases REM sleep, so I either don't dream or I have those awful NREM dreams. The melatonin seems to balance things out so I have a more normal sleep cycle with "normal" dreams, and I wake up feeling like I've actually slept.

This past week I picked up a couple generic allergy tablet boxes because I haven't used them in a while and this week was one of those where I desperately needed to get as much sleep as possible. Early mornings, 12 hour shenanigan days and very little time for any recreation or post-day activities.

The nightmares were terrible. Not scary, night terrors that wake you up but just like messed up horrible scenarios that would just bother me in the morning.

After I ran out of those I opted to just pick up a couple bottles of melatonin at the store because they were BOGO and I've just been approaching wind down time with those and it has been much more restful and peaceful sleep as a result for sure.

• Banned

Sawdamizer said:

Because it's a f**king placebo.

You were banned. It fills you with determination

Take some antihistamine.
    Particularly Diphenhydramine

The professor sat down, utterly defeated by the young man's overwhelming brilliance.
    That young man’s name?
    Albert Einstein.

CyberBully360 said:

Sawdamizer said:

Because it's a f**king placebo.

its not though .
    Its a hormone rather than a drug.
    So its effect will vary .

The professor sat down, utterly defeated by the young man's overwhelming brilliance.
    That young man’s name?
    Albert Einstein.

• Banned

That what people always say about placebos

• SwimSuperHero

Sawdamizer said:

Same here. I use Dr. Whitaker Restful Night Essentials
    and Inositol. Also drinking healthy smoothies helps a lot.
    Sleeping pills don't work on me.

Usopp Fanatic since 2003.

nah a placebo is a sugar pill.
    melatonin is by the pineal gland.
    but one can become used to it.

That young man’s name?
    Albert Einstein.

• Banned

Shut up, you're not a doctor.

• Banned

UncivillyPandaKa said:

nah a placebo is a sugar pill.
    melatonin is by the pineal gland.
    but one can become used to it.

What Panda said, a placebo is usually an inert compound that has no physical or mental effects on patients outside of their own perceptions of how whatever they think they took is affecting them.

Also it's pretty difficult to conduct studies of placebos versus natural hormonal compounds such as melatonin because they occur naturally in the body.

For instance, Subject A could have already higher concentrations of melatonin in him, take a placebo and have better sleep results than Subject B who takes melatonin but doesn't have the same hormonal levels and report worse sleep results than Subject A.

But, I don't really want to get into a debate about this because neither of us are really informed enough on this topic to produce accurate conclusions.

Like I said earlier in this thread melatonin is not a knockout pill or a drug.

Sedatives like alcohol, diphenhydramine and the like are 100% of the time going to produce sedative effects because they are not natural bodily compounds and the depressant effects are directly correlated to your brain and your body reacting and compensating to a foreign compound.

If you think there are better solutions, that drugs work more efficiently, or are just more attuned to a naturally healthy sleep schedule then I understand why you're going to write off melatonin as an inefficient means on inducing sleep; Which, by the way, I never stated anywhere in this thread. I've stated several times that I don't believe melatonin alone is a magic sleep potion, and that the efficacy of supplemental melatonin is dependent on many factors.

And who knows, maybe I'm completely off base. I'm not a physiologist. Panda is probably the most credentialed candidate to weigh in on this subject. I'm pretty sure he doesn't specialize in the precise mechanisms and processes of somnolence but he probably has at least a little more comprehension and knowledge on the subject than you or I.

• Banned

I just grabbed this off Wikipedia but eh.

Infographics are fun.

alt text

• Babbling

But are you, "Straight Outta Melatonin"?

Radiotsar, One Warped Vision, Charity Navigator
    Перший в стіну, коли революція іде!