what does God do about souls that need to be forgiven from hell
225   15

• AdultSwim.Com

but dont have the power in this realm to stop sinning...

???

:robotfrustrated:

Nothing.

You called down the thunder. Well, now you've got it!

• AdultSwim.Com

you mean he lets them burn knowing they had the potential to change?

:robotfrustrated:

• Thunder Goddess

How can one not stop sinning?

“None of us are saints.” – Albert Fish

Happy Banned Books Week! Take a gay penguin to lunch today!

• SwimPeanut

How I look at it is, when you die, it's a done deal.If you were an execrable c*nt for most of your life, there's no making up for that and you burn in Hell for all eternity. (Unless you're Catholic and believe in purgatory).

真実はいつもひとつ!

• Babbling

So, you're saying that the person in question does not have free will?

Everyone makes their own choices, some get very adept at rationalizing their behaviour.

Radiotsar, One Warped Vision, Charity Navigator
    Перший в стіну, коли революція іде!

• IB

They just get thrown in the trash

• Special Snowflake

1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate before the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. 2 He Himself is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not for ours alone, but also for the sins of the whole world. --1 John 2:1-2

• Thunder Goddess

Only if you choose to accept Him.

That's what Hell is about - choices.

• SwimLegend

He doesn't exist, so nothing I guess.

Ric's Youtube: It's fucking awesome of course
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl6qCbzMXEezDBksc9XqUuw

• Thunder Goddess

It would be nice to be just a chemical reaction, but I doubt any of us could get that lucky.

• Banned

So from the Christian perspective... most denominations believe that you really only get one chance in life and that you must be Baptized into Christ and must live as good of a life as possible and be repentant and confess your sin to go to Heaven. That is one can not live in sin and still be saved. Some take it so far as to say if even one aspect of the above is not met than the person will go to hell. This is the primary reasons that Catholics baptize babies, because original sin makes all humans guilty and evil in God's eyes when they are born. Several other denominations believe this too...

There are other beliefs as well, the church I grew up in and was Baptized into was a type of "Reformation" church which is similiar to Protestant but quite a bit different. They are extreme biblical literalists, they believe typically that anything not mentioned in the Bible is also not appropriate for conducting worship. In that vain, they consider it sinful to do things such as play musical instruments along side singing in church, to dance in general, gambling of any kind, drink any type of alcohol ever (though many still do, including my hypocrite parents).

This goes especially in church service, they require the use of pure grape juice as they believe that the early christian churches "fruit of the vine" was a type of purified juice that had little fermentation to it. Many people in Reformation churches are extremely educated, and smart people. They are very scholarly, the do massive amounts of research into historical practices of early Christendom and into the differences between greek and hebrew and the many translations of the Bible.

Other things reformation churches find unacceptable are: ear piercings, tattoos (there are specific verses in the Bible against permanently altering one's body in this manner). Cursing, lusting (i.e. if you have looked at a woman other than your wife and have become sexually excited you have sinned), adultery, sex outside of marriage. Divorce is especially frowned on in Reformation churches, they believe there is only one Biblical allowance for separation of marriages: and that is cheating on some one. The last and probably holy grail of these types of churches... is that they believe that if you are not Baptized by choice and by immersion then you are not truly Baptized and will go to hell. They call this belief typical an "age of responsibility" and that people all reach this age at different times in their lives when they truly understand and believe in Jesus.

• Toonami

the concept of Sin is bs anyway

Sins are just human emotions,

Lust is a desire to have sex, which all people (except asexuals)have
    Greed is what makes people seek money
    Pride is just self confidence
    Wrath is basically just being angry at someone, which depending on context could be a perfectly reasonable response
    sloth is just relaxing
    Gluttony is just Hunger
    and Envy is just admiring what someone else has

by biblical logic the only way to get into heaven is by being an Asexual Sociopath

• Banned

Part 2: Islam....

Some off shoots of Christianity most notably Mormonism believe that it is possible to save someone by "proxy" post mortem. I.E. someone can infact be baptized for you for your remission of sins after you die. To do this however they require some type of reference to their name, they substitute knowing this directly witch having DNA on the person. This is a little known fact but many of these lineage and DNA websites to run genetic tests are owned by the Mormon church. They have a large vault of DNA samples in there main temple (forget where that is), and consider it their duty as believers to Baptize non-believers into heaven as many as possible. Especially in the event of the apocalypse or nuclear war, so as to save the souls of the human race. Their religion has some other unusual beliefs in the book of mormon, such as the indication that people will in effect become one with and like God when they are saved after death, and that they will be given their own planet to be a god over....

There are also many different beliefs in Islam, but most of them fall into 3 different major sects. The two most prominent are Sunni and Shia. When I was studying different religions in preparation to go to a christian theologian college to become a scholar I knew alot more about this and the differences but now I have forgotten quite a bit. Anyways, if my understanding is still correct. Many in Islam believe that hell is not only a punishment but a type of "purification" of the soul. And that souls will spend time in Hell in agony proportional to their disobedience to God, but that all souls will be purified and allowed to enter Heaven eventually. I don't remember if this is only for those who are considered Muslim believers or not. I do remember they also think the majority of people that go to hell will be women, as it is easier to sin being a woman by nature. They also believe a very different vision of heaven, it is described in great detail (unlike in alot of other religions) in both the Quran and Muslim holy guidelines call the Sunnah (which are seperate versus written by the direct subordinates of Muhammed after his death).

Some beliefs include that there will be an abundance of greenery, good food, and wine. There will be alot of water in heaven. Most notably that heaven will essentially give (men in particular) any pleasures they desire and were not able to have on Earth either by lack of access or because they were directly sinful in nature. It is described as giving a man, many virgin beauties to have sex with (where the 42 virgins comes from) and that will attend to and comfort the man. It is also curiously described than many beautiful young boys and young men will be their for the Muslim man. And it is strongly indicated though not directly stated that these males will be there for attendance, comfort, and sexual pleasure as well. This is not particularly surprising to me as I learned that Islam has a very complicated yet open and direct view about human sexuality. They see it as something very good and pleasurable but that the man must deny himself in most instances as it is not pleasing to God. Though men are thought to be allowed much more sexual pleasure than women. This again is based on what I know so may not be totally accurate.

There is also some verses (I believe in the Sunnah not the Quran) which states that the apostles of Muhammad were basically talking and discussing things. And in some way (I forget the specifics) acknowledged that young males (boys and young men) were in some way more tempting to look upon than women... sexually. This does not mean they thought it was necessarily right to have sex with said young males, but that they understood male lusts and passions for their own sex.

• Banned

Part 3: Other religions....

Jewish people to the best of my understanding... did not directly believe in a traditional sense of afterlife or "Heaven" but that one worshiped and feared God because it was their heritage and that God would reward them very favorably on Earth if they worshiped him. They believed he was also wrathful if they "fell away" from God. This is why there is much lamenting and focusing on periods of time in which Israel was basically destroyed and rebuilt because they fell into paganism and sinful practices.

They also believed that they are literally the genetically chosen race of God, and that they are supposed to inherent the Earth because they are the one worthy race. God choice them by blood for whatever reason. They and many Christians still today thus refer to Jews as "God's chosen people". Many Christians today (though not all) acknowledge that at least some Jews from before Christ will be chosen to go to Heaven.

Anyways, they do also believe that when the "Messiah" comes to earth. He will be a literal physical warrior king that will conquer and purify the Earth and will lead the Jewish people to victory and prosperity against their enemies and wicked sinful gentiles (non-jewish people).

They also believe that those that are buried the Messiah will be able to physically restore them to life. This is why it is very very bad for a Jew to be cremated... and it is partly why the Nazis chose to burn the Jews during the Holocaust. The person can not be resurrected if their physical body is completely destroyed.

Then there are other beliefs of after life. These include one-ness with the Universe or all souls signified in many pagan beliefs. The belief in eternal reincarnation of the soul as other living creatures and other humans (as is believed in Hinduism). That people are reincarnated as lesser creatures if they have been evil, and will continue to be reincarnated as progressively greater creatures until they sent back as a human again.

Another is the belief of Buddhism, that afterlife is not necessarily any different than life here on earth. Life is life under that consideration. They belief in a type of reincarnation, but also that the real religious reward is in reaching enlightenment. It is said that the Buddha was the first to reach the enlightenment after many many years (and if I remember correctly several lives but not sure about that). It is believed we are all reincarnated as many times as it takes for us to truly find the truth of the universe and reality. And at that point we leave this world through death or transcendence to a high plain of consciousness and reality as purely spiritual beings.