The Cartesian Void
1318   46

• SwimParagon

I think, therefore I am. This is the only truth René Descartes could be certain of. Anything else? It might be real. It might be imagination. But he, Descartes, definitely existed.

Turns out, everything that couldn't think was just a product of the thinkers after all. When it wasn't perceived, it decayed. Nobody noticed at first, because all that was had been thought about so much for so long, but eventually existence began to crumble. Astronomers and space explorers were the first to notice - distant stars and galaxies were the first to go - but soon, ordinary citizens began to realize a decline. Those in rural communities started noticing a less stellar night sky, and it wasn't light pollution this time. The urbanites were slower to catch on, but when Orion's Belt was the only thing left of the constellation the rumors got to spreading. Had the stars burnt out? Had light pollution gotten that bad? It wasn't until the vanishings reached our own solar system that people began figuring it out, but by then it was too late. The number of planets in the solar system went from eight to one, with only the Earth, Sun, and Moon remaining. With society buried in their fancy modern technology, soon even the Moon disappeared. Then remote chunks of the Earth itself. Humanity began to die off from the reduced resources. More pieces of the Earth vanished. The population declined further. The Sun had survived all this, but it too was eventually consumed. All that remains now is a small piece of land, barely inhabitable by a single thinker.

This is where you come in. I, the Great Thinker Hypatia, have been able to keep this small piece of land intact. And I am capable of creating more. However, I will need the help of other Thinkers to maintain what exists, and to grow this new world. Aid me, and let your imagination become a new reality!

===============================

Welcome to the Cartesian Void! The current universe has ended, and a new one has been born! This role-playing game starts with a small field to move around, and limited stats. All players are Thinkers who are capable of adding to this world with Creation Power, and can construct anything they can imagine. Of course, this Creation Power will be limited at first, but with practice you'll be able to raise your maximum Power and create bigger and better things. And if you Thinkers are stumped, Hypatia is willing to assist. For a price.

I do recommend whipping up some renewable food first, though, because Thinkers do kinda need to eat...

Starting stats for new Thinkers:
    Existence 1/1 (If this hits zero, you vanish, never to return. Thinkers will never lose Existence while able to Think. Non-Thinkers will lose one Existence point per day.)
    Creation Power 20/20 (This is your ability to Create new things. Recharges daily.)
    Health 10/10 (If this hits zero, you die and are no longer a Thinker. You still exist, though, and can be returned to Thinker status should another Thinker have the ability.)

More stats will become available as Thinkers Create them.

Starting Map
    Current Map (will evolve as Thinkers add to it)
    Le Stat Sheet

"I feel like I should be banning way more of you." -- SwimMod_Luuv

• Lord Of the Munge Façade

i put on my wizard hat.

So Luuv hooked me up with a custom rank.

Which means I only have two more prizes to claim, plus an image sig.

So that's where we stand.

• Thunder Goddess

OK, bearing in mind that the last time I played an rpg, it involved dice and hex grids, how does one start?

“None of us are saints.” – Albert Fish
    "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" -- Stephen Wright

• SwimHero

i rolled 6s on all my d6 dice and 20 on my d20s

Janeway Rules!

• SwimParagon

Basically like Covered_in_Sponges did. He spawned into the world, and created a wizard hat {and subsequently put it on}, so there's that. Maybe add more land to build on, see if Hypatia makes some buildings on a whim.

• Thunder Goddess

So I can plant a tomato plant and pull a loaf of bread out of the air and make a tomato sandwich?

• SwimParagon

Yep, and the tomato plant sticks around for others as well. Where do ya want to plant it?

@distorted_reasoning at least try to create the dang dice first. >.<

• Thunder Goddess

Next to the shrine, so I can find it (even if there's no land, I'm geographically challeneged.)

• SwimParagon

Let there be food! You have your tomato plant and loaf of bread. It cost 5 creation points for the plant and 1 for the bread. You also make a tomato sandwich from all that. Bon appetit!

I need a drink before I read this.

• Swimuminati

I'm not sure how this works...I would like to think up a gun and rule what's left of the world, but I don't want to be the last dick on earth, sooo...maybe just create more land for now

• Thunder Goddess

OK. I would like to plant a tree on the other side of the shrine, a nice little red maple sapling. Will it grow on its own, or do I have to keep thinking that it's growing?

• SwimParagon

Depends on if you want to think up a tree that grows on its own or not, but it does need to be observed and thought about from time to time to keep existing. Or you could just think up the fully-grown tree.

Mixboy successfully creates more land, but I'm holding on the update for a bit until this tree business is settled.

• Thunder Goddess

Well, if I can have a full grown tree, let's do that.

• SwimParagon

Hooray! A fully-grown tree!

And Mixboy with some extra land to build on. There's actually some room for expansion! And perhaps some of Hypatia's ideas as well...

Alright. I couldn't see the extra land. There's an extra 25 spaces to the right of the map.

• Thunder Goddess

Yay! I have a tree and a sandwich. I'm going to have to quit for now, but rest assured I will be thinking about these things while I'm at work.

• Check It Out!

I blink a well into existence in the field (third line, third space from the right).

Also a kitten because we need a kitten. His name is Gregory of Damascus.

• IB

I decorate the Shrine of Spawning with balloons.

blah blah gay sex blah blah balloons. :|

• Lord Of the Munge Façade

I roll dice to grope the tree.

So Luuv hooked me up with a custom rank.

Which means I only have two more prizes to claim, plus an image sig.

So that's where we stand.

• SwimParagon

The well becomes so; and the kitten nearby. The kitten is content to sleep near the well.

The Shrine of Spawning is thusly decorated; normal latex balloons, Mylar balloons, balloon animals, and a Macy's float to top it all off. Life is good.

Dice roll to grope the tree is successful. The tree enjoyed it.

To the up is a plaque, across a void. There seems to be writing on it, but it is impossible to make out without getting very, very close. Looks like you'll have to bridge the gap and do some traveling.

Lots of updates to the map! Also Creation Power resets with the new day.

• Swimuminati

alright then, I think up a bridge...poof