So I watched the Killing Joke
172   5

• Banned

And yea, it's a tonal mess. Plus they entirely botched the ambiguity of the ending that makes the story memorable in the book. In theory expanding Barbara's story to make her more than a female prop that gets shot and raped to spur the hero into action was a good thing, but in doing so they decided to go in weird, quasi-incestuous places that made me uncomfortable. Jim Gordon is Bats' best friend and he's banging his daughter? Though an Elseworlds Batman Maury episode would be worth an exploration. Nice to see Conroy and Hamill back, but this was so badly written even my enthusiasm for that was mitigated.

But this has given me a renewed appreciation for Under the Red Hood. Looking back that's probably where the DCAU peaked.

• Banned

• Banned

Yea, DC fans have really been broken in nerd Gitmo this year. It pains them to think that studios may be just cynically exploiting these characters for brand recognition, so they default to zomg steel beams don't melt at such temps conspiracies.

Hooray for awkward angry sex.

You called down the thunder. Well, now you've got it!

• Banned

It does open up great possibilities concerning Barb's shot to the stomach being a courtesy abortion on Joker's part. Unfortunately they didn't have the nads to go in such directions.