So watching a documentary on King Arthur
506   20

• SwimNinja

And apparently Thomas Malory who wrote the best know account wrote it in prison while waiting on a trial for rape and murder.

Here in Cloud Cuckoo Land, there are no rules: There's no government, no baby sitters, no bedtimes, no frowny faces, no bushy mustaches, and no negativity of any kind. And there's also no consistency.

• Nyaa or Nothing

who is this king aruther, and is he related to King Arthur?

• SwimNinja

He is the rapist version of king Arthur apparently

Here in Cloud Cuckoo Land, there are no rules: There's no government, no baby sitters, no bedtimes, no frowny faces, no bushy mustaches, and no negativity of any kind. And there's also no consistency.

PrincessUnikitty said:

And apparently Thomas Malory who wrote the best know account wrote it in prison while waiting on a trial for rape and murder.

known*

• SwimNinja

Still on ignore Zeni

Zen's right. You should have typed "known", not "know".

i read La Morte D'Arthur like 20 years ago...the movie Excalibur, however is pretty good 80's sword n' sorcery style film

▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▉ ▊ ▋ SHOP@HOME NETW☯RK LLC

• SwimNinja

Your alts are on ignore as well

• SwimNinja

Galaxian said:

i read La Morte D'Arthur like 20 years ago...the movie Excalibur, however is pretty good 80's sword n' sorcery style film

Yeah I really like Excalibur, I should watch it again.

• SwimPeanut

Why are you ignoring, Zen? He's trying to help you.

• SwimNinja

Zeni seriously, you and every alt you have ever posted on is ignored, any time you post on a new alt that is obviously you it gets ignored. So I can't see shit, this is the last time I'm telling you.

• SwimPeanut

I thought you guys were friends.

• Rants

Excalibur is more closely based on T. H. White's The Once and Future King.

As for Le Morte D'Arthur (which was a punchline in a later episode of Sealab: 2021 for those keeping score), there are two versions of it: the Caxton version and the Winchester Manuscript which was discovered in the early 20th Century.

http://www.maloryproject.com/winchester_viewer.php

Malory was working from material that came out of the French Vulgate. I read the Caxton version years ago. The Winchester version has been on my to do list for some time, but I just bought a copy of Geoffrey of Monmouth's The History of the Kings of Britain a few weeks ago and I'm reading that right now.

If you want to know anything about Arthurian lore, ask me. I'm really up on this stuff.

Did they mention the Battle of Badon Hill in the documentary? Is it the crappy History Channel one from a few years ago they made to plug the King Arthur film?

ASMB Member since March 23, 2004.
    If brevity is the soul of wit, then abbreviation is the death of the soul.

• SwimPeanut

You should take Zeni off of ignore. He was just trying to teach you new things.

• SwimNinja

It's actually a show called mystery files from The Smithsonian Channel (which I didn't know was a thing) and yeah they did mention it.

• Rants

Galaxian said:

The best 80's sword and sorcery movie is Conan The Barbarian. However, since this is a thread about Arthur, I hasten to mention the excellently cheesy film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084750/

It was actually released as Sword and Sorcery stateside. It's a version of the Old English poem Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, the best translation of which is Tolkien's.

• Thunder Goddess

"Contemplate this on the tree of woe."
    No real relevance, I just love Conan, and I love that quote.

“None of us are saints.” – Albert Fish
    "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" -- Stephen Wright

• Rants

PrincessUnikitty said:

It's actually a show called mystery files from The Smithsonian Channel (which I didn't know was a thing) and yeah they did mention it.

Sounds reasonably new. If you want to go deeper, an excellent starting place (because Malory takes some getting used to) is Tennyson's poetic sequence Idylls of the King which is based on the Caxton Malory and the Welsh poem Mabinogion. It has the most interesting psychosexual telling of the Merlin & Vivian story.

Fate/Zero is my favorite King Arthur documentary.

"What do you mean lower myself? That's the only thing I've ever been. Just a simple human that couldn't save a little girl" -Edward Elric

• SwimNinja

It definitely has the cutest Arthur that's for sure.