Enough of the remakes, Hollywood
353   14

• Nyaa or Nothing

Ocean's 11 is the latest trend to have an all female cast for the remake, called Ocean's 8. Don't really want to find the source right now but it's there.

They're bringing Narnia back also. Terrible idea.

they are remaking 'ben hur'

i'm interested.

we are all caught in the wordbox
    Way to go, asshole, now we're careening off into space and will definitely die. -.- ~ perfy

What's next, a Charlie's Angels remake starring 3 dudes?
    You're not even trying anymore Hollywood, are you??

• Banned

discolemonade said:

i'm interested.

starring Seth Rogen and James Franco.

POOP

FieryDoom said:

discolemonade said:

i'm interested.

starring Seth Rogen and James Franco.

that would make for an interesting take.

i saw a trailer and the chariot scene with the dude rolling out...i wonder if that was put in

specifically like that. the original, the driver of that chariot died, and caught on film, and used.

we are all caught in the wordbox
    Way to go, asshole, now we're careening off into space and will definitely die. -.- ~ perfy

Guys I just got the scoop on the latest big movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mImR2xtsT20

• Rants

The opening post contains no citation, no supporting evidence, and are nothing more than a ironic plug of the very thing you're criticizing.

THIS is the kind of rhetoric you're up against online:

http://variety.com/2016/film/columns/reboots-of-reboots-charlies-angels-spider-man-1201832121/

...and you can't even be bothered to support your thesis statement, much less restate it in a favorable context within the opening post!!

Plus, you're wrong. Here's why:

There have been and always will be remakes, reboots, and rehashes. This is a fundamental aspect of all culture.

In terms of theatrical presentation, Greek playwrights expected their audiences to be familiar with backstories and older versions of the content they were presenting. Furthermore, only two of Shakespeare's plays were not based on original material.

In terms of poetry, classical Roman poets such as Ovid, Virgil, and Apollonius of Rhodes wrote remakes and sequels to Greek stories. Paradise Lost (arguably the greatest poem written in the English language) is really nothing more than a fan-fiction remake of parts of the Bible that incorporated contemporary theology and overt allusions to everything that Milton had ever read!

There are at least three hundred versions of The Mahabharata. There are countless translations of all the other major world texts. We can't even calculate the permutations that occur in the retelling of stories among people who maintain oral storytelling traditions!

Each version of a story takes time, a creative faculty, and hard work to produce.

Ergo, each version deserves to be judged individually without being pigeonholed by lazy, non-creative garbage that can't be bothered to conform with the basic tenets of argumentative discourse and educate themselves before spouting willfully ignorant opinions.

So, please: try a little harder next time. You introduced a great topic and I would love to discuss the origins and causes of the remake business model as it is made manifest in Hollywood. But you've posted no content to work with.

ASMB Member since March 23, 2004.
    If brevity is the soul of wit, then abbreviation is the death of the soul.

• SwimSuperHero

Yeah remakes are dumb. You'd think they know better after Ghostbusters 2016 flopped.

Usopp Fanatic since 2003.

• Nyaa or Nothing

Ugh. I took one look at your horrendous post and decided it's not worth it to actually make a quality post reply. And I specifically said I wasn't gonna bother looking for the source at the moment I made this thread, cuz you know I got shit to do at the moment.

• Rants

Your insults, coarse language, and active ignorance are why you are not to be taken seriously as a rhetor.

I expected better from you.

Your posts are long-winded, pedantic, as well as painfully lackluster, and that's why you are not to be taken seriously as a rhetor.

• Rants

Please address you reply to the content that I posted.

Calling me names is fine (although it does take away from your credibility), but you need to provide supporting evidence to back up your name calling. What you have posted is just a series of empty, unsubstantiated insults.

There is a BIG difference between "You s-ck!" and "You s-ck because you didn't structure your argument like an educated adult and inadvertently made yourself a tool of the very industry you're decrying!"

The former sentence is empty noise and the latter sentence is a conclusion with supporting evidence.

Get it?

Anyway, I've provided plenty of supporting evidence for my claim that remakes are an aspect of all culture. In fact, go ahead and read the Variety article on the subject I linked; it's far more long-winded than I.

Base your reply on that material and then reply on topic: if you can.

• SwimElder Banned

I honestly thought Oceans 12 had some really hilarious jokes, even thought the plot was totally stupid.

"I'm moving and not moving at all. I'm like the moon underneath the waves that ever go on rolling and rocking."