Obamacare meltdown on horizon?
477   17

• Helper

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/291056-next-president-faces-possible-obamacare-meltdown

Two things: Firest, I told you so, second this was entirely predictable.

All five major insurers are now either pulling out entirely or reversing decisions to expand (i.e. cutting losses) in the marketplaces. They are doing so because it is not profitable for them to remain in the system, and it is leaving the marketplaces with fewer (poorer) choices. To further compound matters, the payments given to insurers to offset losses (predictable by the way) end this year, meaning the exchanges have to enroll enough people to be financially viable. (they won't)

Solving the problem is easy. Step one, return insurance to PPO hospital coverage, which it used to be. This cuts down claims, lowers cost to insurers, lowers costs to primary care physicians, and generally lower costs all around. Second, allow sale of insurance across State lines. More choice, lower costs, simple market forces. Third, create health saving accounts, instead of employers contributing to insurance costs, they simply contribute directly to a HSA, which the employee can also contribute to. For the vast majority of people who have little in the way of medical issues, this will save money and allow them to still have access to the doctors of their choice.

Simple enough.

The probability that we may fail in the struggle aught not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just. -Abraham Lincoln

• SwimHero

obama care is such a joke.
    we need a single payer health care system.

Janeway Rules!

• Puppy Power

Wishful thinking, Jingai?

09/13/03

• SwimFan Banned

the only thing i recall of that fellow president is it remarking jessica simpson being fat from a magazine cover statement and cash for clunkey votes .
    then again i dont recall much of too much of any presidencies but none the less .

the only thing better than better is better unless its its the flipside of all that is better ...

subject too change ...

If history tells us anything it's that no matter how badly Obamacare does it will not disappear.

No matter how much it costs it will continue to be propped up indefinitely.

• Banned

This too hard for me to understand. Can you sum this up simpler?

CV01

• Banned

Leek_Lover said:

Jingai is just "lashing out."

Also, I can't find a single left wing news site/blog that is reporting on this so it must be an Alex Jones conspiracy theory.

The thing is that's exactly what the AFFORDABLE HEALTHCARE SYSTEM , ahem, was made for. It was created to keep rising heath care costs capped, so no shit heath care companies are losing money . Haven't you ever wondered why the republican party wants it shut down so bad? A lot are invested in health care and they're losing money hand over fist. They have money to actually treat themselves if they get sick , all the while joe workingman either has to pay through the nose or go without.

Still want to get rid of it?

Monsters come in many shapes and sizes . I'm all of them

zombified35 said:

The thing is that's exactly what the AFFORDABLE HEALTHCARE SYSTEM , ahem, was made for. It was created to keep rising heath care costs capped, so no shit heath care companies are losing money . Haven't you ever wondered why the republican party wants it shut down so bad? A lot are invested in health care and they're losing money hand over fist. They have money to actually treat themselves if they get sick , all the while joe workingman either has to pay through the nose or go without.

Still want to get rid of it?

You can't keep something capped. The price of something is the price of something. Famous economic law.

Someone has to eat the losses, right now it's these companies. From another article.

"The health insurance exchanges that are the beating heart of Obamacare are on the edge of collapse, with premiums rising sharply for ever narrower provider networks, non-profit health co-ops shuttering their doors, and even the biggest insurance companies heading for the exits amid mounting losses. Even the liberal Capitol Hill newspaper is warning of a possible “Obamacare meltdown” this fall.

Three states – Alaska, Alabama, and Wyoming – are already down to just a single insurance company, as are large parts of several other states, totaling at least 664 counties.

UnitedHealth is pulling out completely, Humana is pulling out of 88 percent of counties it was in, and last weak Aetna strongly suggested it will be exiting, too, unless it gets bribed to stay with a huge, annual infusion of direct corporate bailout payments from taxpayers.

Dealing with the wreckage will be at the top of the agenda for the new president and Congress next year, and their options will be limited – especially if, as appears likely, we will continue to have divided government. Most Democrats would prefer moving toward a totally government-run system while Republicans continue to favor repeal.

The most likely outcome, then, is the muddled middle, keeping gravely ill Obamacare on life support, with the major policy fight being over the extent to which taxpayers should be forced to provide billions in direct corporate bailout cash infusions."

• Helper

distorted_reasoning said:

obama care is such a joke.
    we need a single payer health care system.

NHE (National Healthcare Expenditures) is well over 3 trillion dollars a year. Where exactly is that going to come from?

The probability that we may fail in the struggle aught not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just. -Abraham Lincoln

• Helper

scoobdog said:

So, all five major health insurers are ranging between "Uh, we'll pass on expansion" to "Keep that Aids Skrillex away from me!".
    I don't think it is wishful anything at this point.

• Helper

Daosspawn said:

If history tells us anything it's that no matter how badly Obamacare does it will not disappear.

No matter how much it costs it will continue to be propped up indefinitely.

I doubt that. The law is so hated that there is simply too much to be gained by getting rid of it.

• Helper

Leek_Lover said:

Obamacare is teh s_uck.

• SwimPeanut Banned

The thing I hate about the whole healthcare debate is always that it's focused around "HOW DO WE PAY FOR IT" rather than "why is this shit so expensive."

This "debate" will further just divide people into "my groups option to over pay for over priced healthcare is better than yours."

• Helper

Threnodic said:

Leek_Lover said:

Also, I can't find a single left wing news site/blog that is reporting on this so it must be an Alex Jones conspiracy theory.

Dun hate Bucket. Besides, The Hill is hardly part of the vast right-wing conspiracy.

Drive-by media types won't report on this anyways. They are too busy making up stupid stories about Trump.

• Banned

Jingai said:

Threnodic said:

Leek_Lover said:

Dun hate Bucket. Besides, The Hill is hardly part of the vast right-wing conspiracy.

Drive-by media types won't report on this anyways. They are too busy making up stupid stories about Trump.

That's clearly bucket's normal sarcasm....He's agreeing with you......Get your head out of your ass so you can identify your bedfellows.

It was me.....It was always me.

• Puppy Power

Jingai said:

scoobdog said:

So, all five major health insurers are ranging between "Uh, we'll pass on expansion" to "Keep that Aids Skrillex away from me!".
    I don't think it is wishful anything at this point.

From the end of your article....

As recently as this spring, Anthem said it was “well-positioned” to stay in the marketplace, and Aetna said it was in a “very good place."

None of the top five companies — which also include UnitedHealth, Cigna and Humana — had been major players in the ObamaCare marketplace and are unlikely to cause sudden rate hikes for most customers. They’re also unlikely to have a major effect on competition next year, though some people could see rate hikes in the local markets where the carriers are exiting.

Some experts say the insurers’ moves this year could be part of a strategy to drive more changes to the marketplace over time.

“I’ve been dealing with insurance companies for many years, and it is often the case that insurance companies say, ‘Gee, things are horrible, business is horrible, we’re going to pull out,” said Leighton Wu, a professor of health policy at George Washington University.

Don't they teach reading in Indiana's elementary schools?

09/13/03