The boards aren't bad they're trendy!
816   35

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2016/05/09/the-hottest-trend-in-web-design-is-intentionally-ugly-unusable-sites/

Adultswim.com is even mentioned in the article, and if this truly is a new trend, then the ASMB in particular, may be the trendiest design out here right now.

I bet they're talking about the actual website, we're probably not even on the map.

"What do you mean lower myself? That's the only thing I've ever been. Just a simple human that couldn't save a little girl" -Edward Elric

alt text

▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▉ ▊ ▋ SHOP@HOME NETW☯RK LLC

I mean yes they're talking about the main part of the site, but the boards exemplify "bad" "ugly" "difficult" even more so.

oh wait, f**k that , that is not "brutalism"

god damnit washington post.. :c

• Swimuminati

Galaxian said:

oh wait, f**k that , that is not "brutalism"

god damnit washington post.. :c

Elaborate.

brutalism is a style of architecture more concerned with function over form..this shitty web design trend is just "ironic shitposting" taken to graphic design..i guess there are parallels, but in no f**king way is the AS site representative of brutalism that ive ever seen.

alt text

• SwimVIP Banned

There is only one term appropriate for this kind of web design...

A E S T H E T I C S

"Wait, I don't remember 'Allahu Akbar' being in the lyrics..." - Eagles Of Death Metal

• SwimIcon

f**k. the boards are beyond trendy; they're f**king avante garde...

maybe i havent seen it myself, but ive never gotten that win 95 corporate mall look from the AS site...i wouldnt describe it as vapor, at all.

its mostly just bad color theory i think? but i dont look at the homepage that often, so i may be missing something.

def not A E ST though..

Galaxian said:

brutalism is a style of architecture more concerned with function over form..this shitty web design trend is just "ironic shitposting" taken to graphic design..i guess there are parallels, but in no f**king way is the AS site representative of brutalism that ive ever seen.

alt text

Then there is an article for you!

https://killscreen.com/articles/problem-brutalist-web-design/

oh god...my job is web development,so i try so hard to just avoid trends in the field...but i'll read this and hope i dont cringe into a singularity

well that link just opened to an author page for david...so.???

Galaxian said:

maybe i havent seen it myself, but ive never gotten that win 95 corporate mall look from the AS site...i wouldnt describe it as vapor, at all.

its mostly just bad color theory i think? but i dont look at the homepage that often, so i may be missing something.

def not A E ST though..

Then what and/or is there a difference between what the article calls web brutalism, vapor, and A E S T H E T I C S?

This post is deleted!

Galaxian said:

well that link just opened to an author page for david...so.???

https://killscreen.com/articles/problem-brutalist-web-design/

There

Tyler-Pennington said:

Galaxian said:

def not A E ST though..

Then what and/or is there a difference between what the article calls web brutalism, vapor, and A E S T H E T I C S?

well, the way i see it...and this is wrong, im sure cause its from my brain...brutalism is about despair and dystopian aesthetics (not "AESTHESTICS"), brutalism is a lack of styling. exposed concrete, simple flat colors if any...not vibrant vomit...brutalism is how a certain type of building looks.. not just a general descriptor for style...that doesnt make sense.

this is brutalism:

https://i.imgur.com/RtOpGAv.jpg

vapor (vaporwave is a music genre, vapor aesthetics is an art style) is all about re-purposing...be it the emotionless generated music (muzak?) of corporate elevator music to the ambience of a near abandoned mall from the 90's, to just shitting out a windows 95 screenshot with a pepsi commercial glitched...its again not just vibrant colors that dont match..it doesnt work as functional web design, it never willl...but these are just terms to describe things, so whatever...i would never call AS brutalist or vapor unless i was trying to get clicks from idiots.

i love that first line, "because words no longer have meaning,"

yeah, its not brutalism. its at best avante garde. web is too limited. but we're hipster douchebags and "brutalism" is cool so...

So you all out reject the term brutalism to apply to a style of web design?

You don't think "avante garde" is too all encompassing to describe what they're trying to indentify?

well i dont think it fits...brutalism is about city structure encompassing a distinct, almost cyberpunk style dystopian malevolence...that cannot be reproduced on the web and certainly not by just being "ugly"

i get that it's a cool term to use and the awful people i work with like to be "trendy" and whatever, but it just doesnt fit. sure there are parallels, but more to web dev than to web design and i'd be f**king retarded to call my development style "brutalist", jesus christ...