Toonami Rebroadcast Stream will now be 4 weeks behind
3549   66

• Helper

At a time when they really ought to be expanding and improving their streaming, they end up limiting it more.

I guess what we had was a little too good to be true but I never saw more than about 150 people viewing the stream at a time so it seems like something that was not negatively affecting their ratings or anything.

I'd understand 2 weeks behind because a lot of streaming services do that kind of thing for free content but four weeks behind is excessive. This really sucks for people who end up missing a week for whatever reason.

• SwimSuperFan

if anyone wants proof that adult swim hates toonami and wants it to fail...or that they just have way too high expectations of how it should perform

then look no further....they've basically made the toonami stream worthless and completely useless now

4 weeks behind is insane! if you missed one week you gotta wait 4 weeks to see it again on stream and by then you won't care anymore

so what's the point? whenever i posted about this on other sites i had people sugar coating it and saying it's not that bad but trust me it is

if something like airing the most recent aired episodes on stream is something that the toonami crew cannot afford to do anymore

then whose to say adult swim won't eventually say they can't afford to run 3 hours anymore and gotta cut it down to 2? or heaven forbid...One Hour

"Here Comes A New Challenger!-D.VA(Hana Song)"

• SwimSuperFan Banned

Well that's a damn shame, and it comes after they already gimped the show marathons.

You can probably accuse the people who run the cable companies of wanting Toonami to move it or lose it, but I think it's just a case where they hate us because they ain't us, and any attempt to get them watching their own streams is probably best left no longer had.

I have reached acceptance.

Blatch's Toonami Ratings Timeline

Escalator

• Wednesdays: Squid Girl (in my dedicated thread)
    • Sundays: TBA
    • Random days: Re:ZERO (anime watching thread, w/ commentary on Imgur)

• Helper

I'd say this move shows quite the opposite if anything.

I figure they are removing the insta-rebroadcast the following day in order to curb people from watching that instead of the live broadcast. Either that or maybe the contracts are not allowing for an insta-rebroadcast anymore if they ever actually did. I hope they didn't piss off any of the anime distributors by offering these shows for free as they have been recently.

Adult Swim is paying good money to get a new season of Samurai Jack and 12 more episodes of FLCL made for Toonami and out of the blue they gave back 11:30pm earlier this Summer. Toonami's budget is large enough to pay for One-Punch Man, Hunter x Hunter, a Gundam series and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure this year on top of renewing DBZ and Shippuden. Adult Swim is giving Toonami plenty of resources to do things they couldn't have afforded to do in prior years so unless Toonami ends up burning all that good will that is being thrown their way, I don't see Adult Swim getting anywhere near cancelling the block.

• SwimSuperFan

it just keeps feeling like adult swim secretly hates toonami and anyone who dares prefer them over the brain dead original shows they poop out most of the time

like there's no logical reason why DBZ One Piece And Naruto should be treated like they are less important than garbage like The Eric Andre Show And More Reruns Of The Long Dead Cleveland Show

With all the long runners on board an expansion of the block will be required sooner rather than later

A Year Later I Can See the block feeling pretty cramped with the following

1.DBZ
    2.HXH
    3.Jojo
    4.One Piece
    5.Naruto

Plus A Rerun Slot and a random slot reserved for the only new show

• Helper

Those Cleveland Show reruns do rather well for their time slots.

It's only natural for a network to promote their original series over some anime they only borrow for airing but you can bet they'll promote FLCL 2/3. It's not like they don't promote some anime though, One-Punch Man gets weekly promos right now.

If it's the time slots you're complaining about, DBZ gets 11:30 right now but Naruto and One Piece are holding the slots where they can afford to not do that well and still air because of their performance more than anything else. Adult Swim could easily get both removed from the schedule in order to throw on more comedy but they allow them to air despite that.

It'd be swell if Toonami could manage airing in prime time again but up against sports, cable movies and other event programming on Saturday they'd lose and lose hard in the 8pm-11pm time frame. We saw how well DBZ did at 8pm, imagine all of Toonami doing that badly. It wouldn't last more than a few months.

If you feel they should be airing Toonami after midnight on more nights, I agree with that within reason but it's costly and the shows they run on weekdays are either their own and don't have a cost to repeat or their expensive contracts for FOX reruns that more than earn their keep. They could make an hour of the weeknight line-up Toonami and not really harm anything but they don't have enough fresh shows they can rerun in that hour and buying additional airings of their long running series is too costly.

• SwimSuperFan

i just hate seeing adult swim as being controlled by loads of fox animated sitcoms and gross out original shows that you turn off your brain to watch

Adult Swim is like hoped up on cocaine and acid the whole week and the only time when it's competent enough to complete a single sentence without making it into a internet meme style joke is when toonami's on...

• Toonami

This sucks.

Though I do have to agree that it probably occurred to force more people to watch the block live on Saturdays.

My Hummingbird: https://hummingbird.me/users/CaptainStarwind

Fucking WHAT?

• Toonami

But in an age where most providers offer free DVR...

The reason I bring this up is because most networks only care about the same day and maybe with in the 48 hours range. Anything after that likely isn't recorded in terms of "ratings/viewers". So they can cut the stream away all the want, people will still have their DVR recordings to watch. Depending on their provider they could hold the recording for an untold length of time and always watch the shows broadcast on Toonami without giving any actual support. Hell this is probably the preferred method of some since it would let them bypass commercials and what not.

Was Called a Hipster by Ben
    Hold The Door

• SwimSuperFan

then just stop the streams completely because right now nobody's gonna want to wait that long to catch up with what they missed just last week...

besides don't most networks till operate off the god awful outdated Nielsen system that the majority of americans don't qualify for because they need a mythical box that most people have never seen in their life?

• SwimSuperFan

• SwimVIP

countfrylock said:

if anyone wants proof that adult swim hates toonami and wants it to fail...or that they just have way too high expectations of how it should perform

There's more to it than hating Toonami fans. Adult Swim always loved mocking their own viewers in general. Adult Swim especially loves mocking Anime fans and has been doing so for years. Some voice actors most specifically Greg Ayres confirmed it 6 years ago at a panel.

Here's a clip of 1 of the panels he did just before the Toonami revival. Even though this is an older panel from 6 years ago, Greg talked about online streaming sites, Adult Swim, and some other companies.

"Revenge can be bittersweet, but if you sit back and watch, KARMA can be pure entertainment." ~ David Avocado Wolfe

"If a guy wants you for your breasts, thighs, and legs, send him to KFC. You're a lady, not a cheap value meal." ~ Nicolas Cage

• SwimSuperFan

I Don't think I've ever seen another network that openly insults it's viewers like adultswim has done with anime fans constantly

and i think at this point it's gotten old because adult swim relies too heavily upon Fox Animated Reruns and new original shows that just aren't gonna stick...original shows that have zero thought put into them

Toonami is like the only thing on adult swim where you need to have a functioning brain to watch it and enjoy it

and i think that's why adult swim hates it so much....because anime makes them look bad

it makes adult swim look like a bunch of hyperactive morons that don't know what a story is and just expect coked up drug addicts to fuel their dreams forever

• SwimStar

anime is teh suck is one of the oldest as/asmb jokes...
    you really think if [as] hated anime they'd air it for more than a decade.
    especially when it was losing them money

"Right. Because it seems to me that you’re exhibiting symptoms of depression, low self worth and anxiety."
    "Those are all different things, right?"

• SwimSuperFan

QuebecElegy said:

anime is teh suck is one of the oldest as/asmb jokes...
    you really think if [as] hated anime they'd air it for more than a decade.
    especially when it was losing them money

Do you really think adult swim knows what it's doing half the time? a majority of the original shows they pump out these days just seem like something they pooped out on the spot while high

Toonami is the only time the block acts like it's aware that it's suppose to entertain people

• SwimVIP

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Now, I watch very few comedies on Adult Swim. Most of the other comedies I used to watch such as The Boondocks and Metalocalypse are over. I still enjoy watching Family Guy, American Dad, and Robot Chicken because there are a lot of '80s and '90s pop-culture references and inside jokes, that Gen Xers will most likely understand.

Meanwhile, Adult Swim had more viewers years ago because of the Anime they aired. When I was in college years ago, friends and classmates always talked about all the animated shows they loved watching nightly. Anime was a "trending" topic around college campuses over a decade ago or so ago and it was mostly because Adult Swim aired it.

At the same time, Adult Swim made sure to air promos mocking Anime cosplayers. It was funny years ago. However, the network basically disguised their insults as jokes about Anime fans.

"Revenge can be bittersweet, but if you sit back and watch, KARMA can be pure entertainment." ~ David Avocado Wolfe

"If a guy wants you for your breasts, thighs, and legs, send him to KFC. You're a lady, not a cheap value meal." ~ Nicolas Cage

• SwimSuperFan

and how long can you keep pushing it as a joke before it stops being funny? Toonami is the last safe haven for anime on television and Adult Swim barely gives them any time to do much of anything before they are kicked to the curb for more reruns of shows we've already seen a billion times over...

3 Hours A Week....compare to how many times a week the cleveland show is aired(let's not forget the cleveland show airs on several channels too!)

the cleveland show was canned ages ago there's no reason they should be content with it sticking around so long on the rotation....

I Remember when anime was all over the place on saturday morning cartoons and now as an adult I'm suppose to think Anime's for sick perverts and sexual deviants who don't have a life? so instead i gotta watch crap like mister pickles and Brad Neely's Scorpio whatever

Anime should be cherished and given the spotlight it deserves on toonami instead of constantly being jerked around...never sure if this year will be the last with it seeming like the block will never get any bigger only smaller

• SwimVIP

When I was growing up, Anime was very scarce. Then again, I'm older than a decent portion of the posters here. By the time I became an adult, it was everywhere. Back 10 years ago, there were at least several other channels on cable and satellite airing Anime besides Cartoon Network and Adult Swim.

By 2008, some of those same networks ceased. Otherwise, they stopped airing them because they couldn't compete with Adult Swim's consistency. Then by 2009, Adult Swim started to give their viewers the shaft and really started making all these low IQ'ed cartoons and live action shows, that are STILL airing today.

• SwimSuperFan

and it annoys me because i enjoy watching anime with my family because it's so much fun and i always like hearing what they have to say about what's currently on

but as Toonami's time decreases and the block is loaded with long runners that time is changing....and it's now feeling like toonami ends just as I'm getting into it

it's the one thing i look forward to on saturday nights and it's over in what seems like an instant

i don't want it to end but when it does...It's back to brainless comedies and adult swim telling me all about the eric andre show every commercial break...

• SwimStar

that's kind of the point. unfortunately...

"Right. Because it seems to me that you’re exhibiting symptoms of depression, low self worth and anxiety."
    "Those are all different things, right?"

• Mobile Suit Gundam

Well, these days it's actually back to Rick & Morty, which is far from brainless. And American Dad follows, which is boring but I actually find pretty smart. We could do without the entire 4 AM hour though, before King of the Hill at 5.

I think Toonami SHOULD have the 3 AM hour, even if it's just for a couple more recent reruns, but Parasyte has been probably the biggest disappointment since rerun slots got removed from Toonami.

Don't Miss an All-New One Punch Man every Saturday at midnight! Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans follows at 12:30! Only @Toonami!