BUYING AN OLD CRT TV ON CRAIGSLIST.
533   20

I'm looking for a 1080i Sony WEGA the only ones i can find are 4 hours away

• Swimuminati

you're 8 hours away from tv time...better get going

dude I swear this time is different. I swear before god, buddah, my dead grandma, and asmb. i will never drink again.

-Phillies 8/15/2016

• SwimNerd

I don't recommend buying a used TV... I did about a year ago, it's a 46 inch Sharp, it's HD, I don't remember if it's 1080i or 1080p... Whatever it's LED back lit. It's a few years old, I didn't even buy it off Craigslist I bought it off a friend for $100 bucks. Modern TV's aren't made to last, if you get 5 or 6 years out of them you're lucky. After a few months of owning it, this TV had a failure in a capacitor that made it not turn on anymore. The new capacitor was cheap, it was like 6 bucks... But it was extremely hard to find a replacement, it took me days of calling around to every electronics supply and repair place... Most of them either said they didn't have the part, or they had it, but they weren't willing to sell it to me without installing it (which means... "we don't care if you know how to replace it yourself, we will only sell you a 6 dollar part if you pay us $150 bucks to put it in for you"). Anyway, don't buy a used TV unless you know how to work on electronics... I repaired this TV but I don't expect it to last long. The screen is burned in... I can see the score board from baseball games burned into the corner hours after watching a game. I doubt it will last more than a year or two more before I have to get a new one.

BUYING AN OLD TV ON CRAIGSLIST.

Is a terrible idea

Was the end of that sentence.

Nah dude CRTs are built to last. I've heard of 50 year old CRTs still working to this day.

• SwimVIP Banned

HD CRT?

Didn't know such a thing existed.

"Wait, I don't remember 'Allahu Akbar' being in the lyrics..." - Eagles Of Death Metal

• SwimNerd

CRT's do last... I've never had one fail to be honest.

And to the other person... Whose name I have forgotten in the few seconds it took me to post this because I'm so lit I can't remember a damn thing... Other than your point... Which was "I didn't know there was such thing as an HD CRT tv."

I had a CRT TV until I bought that used TV that shit out almost immediately. I gotta say though flat screens... Whatever you want to call them, LCD, LED, Plasma, etc. They're better... But they don't last.

• SwimHero

trying to get a tv to play games on?

Janeway Rules!

• SwimHero

pc crts could do more than HD resolution back in the early 2000s and i remember reading about some that were close to 4k.

Janeway Rules!

Yea I'm getting one for my old games and movies. I'm also probably gonna get an Xbone in the future so I'll probably hook it up to that. The TV is 1080i so it shouldn't look too bad.

• Helper

I have a Sony Bravia (Model: KDL-32ML130) and it works fairly well for older stuff. I can't directly use RF Switch-based consoles but I was able to easily work around that with my Sega Saturn using a VCR acting as an adapter. So you don't necessarily need a CRT.

That being said, I still really like CRTs and I want to scoop up a few when I can for both posterity and LAN parties.

CRTs have pretty much zero input lag and have way better colors than LCDs. Also CRTs are just way comfier. I guess one downside is that they're like 200 pounds.

• Helper

Honestly haven't had that issue with my Bravia. The most noticeable difference between it and a CRT is when I play older games on older consoles. It looks much worse on the Bravia.

I used to have a 40" Mitsubishi CRT, though, and I loved it. Just not moving it anywhere. That sucked. Here's a picture of one from Google:

• SwimHero

there are other models outside of sony that can be looked at if you can't find any. though i wouldn't suggest hooking up a newer console if it doesnt support the 4:3 format.

Janeway Rules!

• SwimHero

THATS A HUGE BITCH!
    no kidding though, giant crt's are a pain to move. that one i think tops in at 300lbs. which will take at least 2 very strong people to move. i got myself a 37' inch presentation display which can do multiple resolutions and the picture is superb. good from my sege genesis to my wii u games

Janeway Rules!

• Banned

This thread kinda makes me sad.

It was me.....It was always me.

• SwimVIP Banned

Yeah, CRTs have a certain brilliance in color reproduction that even makes SD stuff look quite good.

But even if someone were crazy enough to come out with a 4K CRT, I'd never get it as carrying something like that would be WAY too much of a bitch to be worth it. I'll take the razor-thin 90' inch that take three fingers to lift, thanks.

"Wait, I don't remember 'Allahu Akbar' being in the lyrics..." - Eagles Of Death Metal

• SwimHero

explain.

Janeway Rules!

I looked up some key words like "tube" and "CRT" on Craigslist (and a few other sites) and I could only find a few shitty ones. The one that's 4 hours away from me is 30 inches and looks like a Sony Trinitron KV-30XBR910, which supports 16:9.

It's exactly what I'm looking for and I really hope I'm able to buy it. Pic related.

• SwimHero

those toshibas aren't that bad. other good brands to keep an eye out for are jvc, samsung, nec, and mitsubishi. pretty much any of the early 2000s model with component inputs is what you want.

Janeway Rules!