How do you react to death?
1148   48

An important family member died recently and I found myself being glad for him. He wanted more than anything to be with his spouse who had died 11 years prior, and simply meandered through life's various lunch lines until he finally got his wish last week. Though I want to believe in God but can't bring myself to do it presumably the same thing happens to everyone when they die, so wherever his wife went he went there too now.

I don't really know what the point of this was. Maybe just to reiterate that I'm happy for him. He didn't want to be alive anymore and knew nothing but physical and emotional pain while he was still here. But now he was able to set his bag of bricks down.

Have you ever felt like this in reaction to someone kicking it?

• The Room

if it's someone i liked: crying, drinking, more drinking, crying again, be depressed for like a year after

if i didn't know them: probably no reaction

This sig is an awesome sig. :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love: - InsaneFox

• IB

Depends on who died

I try to make everyone's day a little more surreal

• Babbling

I saw the life leave my grandpa's body. It was like the movies. Very surreal.

• SwimStar

Well, with my mom, I was weirdly relieved when she passed because she was in a lot of pain from the cancer. During the illness and for a while after, it hurt me a lot emotionally, because we were extremely close. But I get more okay with it.

Thankfully, that's been the only major death in my life. Other than George Carlin.

42,917 posts and 4,251 kudos for life, playa.

• SwimElder

How do I react to death?

Whiskey and pizza. I drown myself in booze and food.

"I'm moving and not moving at all. I'm like the moon underneath the waves that ever go on rolling and rocking."

• The Room

i blame no one for whatever they did following Carlin's death

This sig is an awesome sig. :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love: - InsaneFox

• Swimuminati

I make it a point to avoid funerals and the like...I don't react to these things and so find myself faking emotion for the benefit of others and it feels duplicitous...

dude I swear this time is different. I swear before god, buddah, my dead grandma, and asmb. i will never drink again.

-Phillies 8/15/2016

I react badly...the whole crying and snot thing...

The Big T

• SwimElder

Every funeral I've been to, I've been drunk. Funerals and weddings

"I'm moving and not moving at all. I'm like the moon underneath the waves that ever go on rolling and rocking."

• IB

Usually with professionalism. I'm a nurse and I have always respected the dying as they pass on. Recently I had an unc pass on unexpectedly. I'm happy because I feel that he passed on to something better than this.

Live a little.

• Lord Of the Munge Façade

poke with stick.

So Luuv hooked me up with a custom rank.

Which means I only have two more prizes to claim, plus an image sig.

So that's where we stand.

Depends on the circumstances and the person who passed. I had a few friends die in war zones, those deaths impacted me... though likely not as much as they should have. We were all young, they went overseas knowing the chances of coming back wasn't great, so we basically said our goodbyes when they were deployed.

My sister died right in front of me. It affected me immediately. Periodically, the reality of it hits me again and the events of the night play themselves out for me over and over. Again, this happened at a relatively young age and my reaction wasn't what was expected of me.

There was a period of 10 months a little over a decade ago where it seemed as though my father's side of the family all just gave up on life. We were attending funerals on average three times a month. That year, I lost my paternal grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and good family friends. The only person I feel I properly grieved for that year was my grandfather. I was sad for myself because I loved him and he was important to me... but, I was happy for him because he was finally at peace and did not have to deal with illness or pain anymore. I also still have a tremendous amount of guilt that I feel when it comes to him, there were things I probably should have done but didn't because of fear.

More recently, I have been dealing with the murder of a good friend and the loss of my maternal grandparents. With Tom's murder, I had an enormous amount of anger and confusion. I just couldn't understand how anyone could take the life of such an awesome person. He was beloved by literally thousands of people worldwide. That was almost three years ago, December 2013. This past week though, justice for the crime is finally starting to become a reality with indictments being handed out to three individuals involved with the murder, although the murder itself is not one of the charges... which makes me a little bit irate. It is like the Las Vegas police department knows these three people did this to Tom, but can't prove which one actually pulled the trigger or if they had a fourth party come in to do the task. I'm still angry about Tom's death, he still had so much to offer and so much life in him, even at the age of 70. Something like this should never have happened to him.

Now, as for the passing of my maternal grandparents... these have been the hardest deaths for me to deal with, which is odd because I have been so familiar with death since I was a child. My grandfather became very ill during the last 6 months or so of his life and my grandmother was succumbing to the horrible effects of Alzheimer's. I learned of my grandfather's death on Thanksgiving Day 2014 and attended my grandmother's funeral on my birthday 11 weeks later in February 2015. Every emotion imaginable, I have been going through it on pretty much constantly ever since. I can't accurately describe how their passing has affected me, because my feelings on it changes from day to day. There is a certain level of gladness for them because they no longer are sick, they are no longer losing their memories one piece at a time, and they passed close together in a fairly short time frame. But, there is also a myriad of other emotions for all kinds of reasons.

If I have learned anything over my lifetime, it is that people grieve differently with each situation. Everyone has expectations about how one should react. Sometimes you are going to fulfill those expectations, other times you aren't. As far as I am concerned, there is no right way or wrong way to grieve for the death of someone you love.

• Banned

Until it's my mama or one of my kids, it's somewhere between LOL, and meh.

It was me.....It was always me.

• Puppy Power

I can't say I react that way because there is always that nagging possibility that there is nothing at the end of the tunnel. It's not that I don't want the people who die to be happy or at least find some kind of resolution to their lives. It's not even that I don't believe in an afterlife . It's just that there is something convenient about the idea that we can just let the lost go with a few tears and "They're in a better place," making it ever so easy to let legacies go along with the deceased.

09/13/03

A few years ago my grandmother died in front of me and pretty much the rest of the family. As she lay there, her frail body cooling as we wait for the men to take her to be studied, my brother utters these words, "you know that picture the scream, grandma's face looks like that." and that is when most of my family began to laugh.

You called down the thunder. Well, now you've got it!

• IB

You get used to it.. I've experienced a good bit.

That bullshit they say about them living on in your heart

really helps... everytime someone mentions the word death

I kinna get an emotional "flash" of everyone I've lost that

was close to me.. like that one thing that made them..

them. ;)

whatevah..

• Incoherent Babbling

well aren't you the little hypocrite

Everyone's favorite Viperslayer.

• SwimVIP Banned

Suppress all emotions, drink, and become overtly philosophical for like a month.

"Wait, I don't remember 'Allahu Akbar' being in the lyrics..." - Eagles Of Death Metal

You sound like a human with actual feelings right now.

It depends on who it is and their situation. My grandfather died last year, but he'd spent the past 10 years or so battling cancer and staying in bed pretty much all day wasting away. He just kind of... existed. I can't say that I was particularly happy when he died, but I think he might be better off.

• Banned

ENA_D said:

An important family member died recently and I found myself being glad for him. He wanted more than anything to be with his spouse who had died 11 years prior, and simply meandered through life's various lunch lines until he finally got his wish last week. Though I want to believe in God but can't bring myself to do it presumably the same thing happens to everyone when they die, so wherever his wife went he went there too now.

I don't really know what the point of this was. Maybe just to reiterate that I'm happy for him. He didn't want to be alive anymore and knew nothing but physical and emotional pain while he was still here. But now he was able to set his bag of bricks down.

Have you ever felt like this in reaction to someone kicking it?

yup, my dad.

POOP