That people still name the Beatles as the best band ever tells you how far rock music
429   20

• SwimStar

is from being a serious art.
    Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

"Right. Because it seems to me that you’re exhibiting symptoms of depression, low self worth and anxiety."
    "Those are all different things, right?"

• Manowarrior

The Beatles aren't from the past enough for you? So who should they reconsider? Little Richard? Jerry Lee Lewis?

Anyway, jazz and classical aren't really "popular" genres, but rock is, and has been since the 60s, at least. So of course the best sellers are going to be the most revered by the mainstream critics.

I'll use metal as an example. ROCK critics would probably consider Metallica the greatest metal band of all time. METAL critics would probably consider Metallica the biggest joke of all time. Most (non-hair/nu) metal was always underground, while rock has never stopped being in the public eye since it first got there.

Congratulations 2010, 2012, and 2014 San Francisco Giants! Beat LA!

Ain't got no time for bird sex, I wanna fly...

• SwimStar

idk i dont listen to any of those guys

"Right. Because it seems to me that you’re exhibiting symptoms of depression, low self worth and anxiety."

Do the Beatles even count as "Rock"?

• SwimComrad

"8675309"

wat did he mean by this, anon

alt text

• SwimStar

the only beatles songs i've listened to sounded more pop than rock to me

• SwimStar

"new phone, who dis?"
    what did jenny mean by this?

• Manowarrior

QuebecElegy said:

the only beatles songs i've listened to sounded more pop than rock to me

QuebecElegy said:

idk i dont listen to any of those guys

So you know nothing about the origins of rock, and you know nothing about the Beatles, and you're complaining that rock critics don't pay attention to rock and focus too much on the Beatles?

• SwimStar

• Manowarrior

• SwimComrad

she didn't rly have a new phone :(

alt text

They're not the best band ever to me, but I do like them.

"What do you mean lower myself? That's the only thing I've ever been. Just a simple human that couldn't save a little girl" -Edward Elric

• The Room

and just what is wrong with John Coltrane? yeah he's like the one guy everyone who doesn't listen to jazz mentions when they think of a jazz artist. him or Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, or Ella Fitzgerald. but none of them are the greatest. (though i would argue Ella being the best jazz VOCALIST)

This sig is an awesome sig. :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love: - InsaneFox

• Other Anime

Technically, you did say band, so that shuts out solo rock artists that people would say were pioneers if the genre like Chuck Berry and Little Richard.

Muscle, muscle! Hustle, hustle!

• Banned

QuebecElegy said:

until i read this was a meme, I was like, who the f**k thinks beethoven is the greatest classical composer?

POOP

• Special Snowflake Banned

waaaaah anything dats popular doesnt count because its not underground enough waaaaaaah i couldn't sell two copies if i pressed a double album waaaaaaaah i only like obscure stuff waaaaaaaaaahhh

• SwimStar

i stop listening to artists if one of their songs has more than 10k views on youtube

• Babbling Banned

QuebecElegy said:

i stop listening to artists if one of their songs has more than 10k views on youtube

Yeah, that's just stupid. Quit acting stupid.

What's a giant eye going to do, pick you up and wink you to death?

• SwimVIP Banned

I stop listening to artists before I discover who they are.

One fan is too mainstream, man...

"Wait, I don't remember 'Allahu Akbar' being in the lyrics..." - Eagles Of Death Metal

• IB

QuebecElegy said:

I try to make everyone's day a little more surreal