Holy Shit, Philippines
931   27

• SwimNinja

I heard about the crackdowns but didn't know they were this bad.

"The enemy of my enemy is just another man standing in my way." -Nikita

• SwimLegend

Damn

Oh bother...

Can I change my facebook picture to their flag yet?

If you gotta go go with a smile

• Helper

Sawdamizer said:

Can I change my facebook picture to their flag yet?

Only if it's upside down. o.O

...they said i'd live forever, but they lied...it's been much longer...
    Cheerful Supplier of Chaos throughout the Known Universe and Beyond...we now have WTF...
    [this pathetic cry for attention has been brought to you by the letters F, U and the number 2]

• SwimComrad

who will their favorite basketball team be this season

alt text

• Puppy Power

It's like the Wild West. Obviously, there are parallels to our current political situation, but I can't imagine what would drive this kind of murderous rage throughout an entire country.

09/13/03

• Helper

scoobdog said:

It's like the Wild West. Obviously, there are parallels to our current political situation, but I can't imagine what would drive this kind of murderous rage throughout an entire country.

It's an island that's full of poverty where some will do whatever it takes to get food on their table whether it's selling drugs or blasting away the people that sell drugs. I think I still might have relatives over there, I know that my aunt and uncle have been trying to get people out of there at least.

Cheerful Supplier of Chaos throughout the Known Universe and Beyond...we now have WTF...
    [this pathetic cry for attention has been brought to you by the letters F, U and the number 2]

scoobdog said:

They are Asia's Mexico.

• Banned

ENA_D said:

scoobdog said:

They are Asia's Mexico.

pretty much.

POOP

• Puppy Power

katt_goddess said:

scoobdog said:

It's an island that's full of poverty where some will do whatever it takes to get food on their table whether it's selling drugs or blasting away the people that sell drugs. I think I still might have relatives over there, I know that my aunt and uncle have been trying to get people out of there at least.

It's not just that, given that's a common behavior at the lowest strata in just about every society. From Sorce's sources (heh) it seems obvious that there is strong public pressure to condone this kind of behavior. It's not just the strongman himself spouting the rhetoric, it seems that every level of society is in on the purge.

09/13/03

• Toonami

I'm all for cleaning up the streets (extremely cold-blooded and "last resort" tactics included), but this seems kind of pointless to me. If they only seem to be targeting the people at the very bottom of the totem pole while completely ignoring the corrupt officials that actually run some of the drug operations, then I have a hard time understanding how any of them could be naive enough to think it'll make any sort of long-term difference.

If anything, this just seems like something straight out of The Purge... like someone thought the best way to fight crime and poverty would be to just systematically kill the poorest of the poor.

• SwimParagon

What the f**k, Philippines. What. The. f**k.

"I feel like I should be banning way more of you." -- SwimMod_Luuv

I blame panda.

You called down the thunder. Well, now you've got it!

This seems similar to the old practice of declaring someone an outlaw. Once you're declared an outlaw, anyone can kill you for any reason.

It's a good way to get rid of bad people, but it's pretty easy to declare your political opponents outlaws to get rid of them.

• Puppy Power

cowboy_stilgar said:

I blame panda.

Panda is totally one of the assassins.

09/13/03

• Babbling

I bet Filipino civilians are under siege from violent criminals so they have no qualms about state sponsored killings. The civilian assassins who are hired by the police probably think they're helping fight against crime. Little do they know they're being used to kill off rivals of drug territory.

And one of the drug dealers.

You called down the thunder. Well, now you've got it!

• Puppy Power

09/13/03

• Helper

scoobdog said:

katt_goddess said:

scoobdog said:

It's not just that, given that's a common behavior at the lowest strata in just about every society. From Sorce's sources (heh) it seems obvious that there is strong public pressure to condone this kind of behavior. It's not just the strongman himself spouting the rhetoric, it seems that every level of society is in on the purge.

Give the people a target and they'll forget where the real fight needs to be. It's a Band-Aid to a bullet wound. But if you get enough people to claim that the Band-Aid will fix everything, people will be all about the Band-Aid while the rest of the body rots because to say otherwise will make you the target.

• Puppy Power

katt_goddess said:

scoobdog said:

katt_goddess said:

scoobdog said:

Give the people a target and they'll forget where the real fight needs to be. It's a Band-Aid to a bullet wound. But if you get enough people to claim that the Band-Aid will fix everything, people will be all about the Band-Aid while the rest of the body rots because to say otherwise will make you the target.

I highly doubt that anyone has forgotten what the real fight is. Using the American Expansion of the nineteenth century as an example, vigilantism usually goes hand in hand with the more basic need for personal security. It's understandable that people would be willing to overlook the moral implications when survival is at stake, but morality itself is not abandoned. This is a completely different situation where a robust law enforcement structure appears to be utilizing extra-judicial elements to defer the morality issue. More specifically, it's against human nature to look at other humans as expendable except in situations where survival is predicated on this. What appears to be the missing element here is what impact exactly the drug trade has on Filipino society.

09/13/03

• Helper

scoobdog said:

katt_goddess said:

scoobdog said:

katt_goddess said:

scoobdog said:

I highly doubt that anyone has forgotten what the real fight is. Using the American Expansion of the nineteenth century as an example, vigilantism usually goes hand in hand with the more basic need for personal security. It's understandable that people would be willing to overlook the moral implications when survival is at stake, but morality itself is not abandoned. This is a completely different situation where a robust law enforcement structure appears to be utilizing extra-judicial elements to defer the morality issue. More specifically, it's against human nature to look at other humans as expendable except in situations where survival is predicated on this. What appears to be the missing element here is what impact exactly the drug trade has on Filipino society.

Moral humans can be made to do immoral things once they are taught to see their neighbor as an 'other' or an 'it' . And when you have a higher authority telling you that this person or that person is actually an 'other' or an 'it' , it makes it easier for people to go out and shoot the crap out of someone in their own home in front of their own family.

[disclaimer... I just finished reading 'The Sociopath Next Door' like two days ago :D ]