Kai's better than the original Dragon Ball Z
345   14

It gets right to the point and the animation is way better. The only thing DBZ has going for it is better music and voice-acting (the Ocean dub in particular).

What point?

"What do you mean lower myself? That's the only thing I've ever been. Just a simple human that couldn't save a little girl" -Edward Elric

Power levels and fighting... Something like that.

• Banned

Dragon Ball is better than DBZ......DBZ, even though I was once a fanboy, really is an abortion.

Gets to the point quicker of yelling for half an episode.

"What do you mean lower myself? That's the only thing I've ever been. Just a simple human that couldn't save a little girl" -Edward Elric

There's not a lot of substance, but it's still fun to watch.

Ocean dub? PUHLEAZE

I can't watch the Funimation dub. Vegeta sounds like he needs a cough drop. It's that Michael Keaton vs. Christian Bale Batman effect.

• Toonami

Depends on the aspect.

In terms of dub quality (translation, voice acting, etc.), yeah, Kai is better. Same goes for the story pacing, the lack of filler, and (at least now) the fact that Kai's picture isn't cropped like the only widely-available copies of DBZ are.

The Faulconer music in the original shouldn't be overlooked, though. Music is a big deal in the series imo and the fact that the Kai dub lacks it is a big negative.

• SwimVIP Banned

Aside from God awful repainted shots put in (because strobe lights are somehow now illegal) and some filler episodes I actually really like, the dub script and voice acting being miles better than the original, pacing issues fixed, and picture quality pretty much got the original beat.

As for the music issue, there is a way to fix that...

DeusExMasquerade said:

WEEKLY FAULCONER REMINDER: For the ultimate Kai experience, click here: mega.co.nz/#F!9d4jkYzR!CPlPL10_HQw3y6mAWBVxnQ

Under Part 7 Beta, there's a folder labeled F which has all the Faulconer mixes for those episodes (episodes 78 - 88). Choose "Kai84F.ac3." If you have VLC player, it should play upon clicking.

I'm still working on that "Legacy Edition" remaster of DBZ where I boost the image quality a little bit, retain some elements of the original DBZ as well as Kai put together, and properly place the Shuki Levy & Nathan Johnson score (Saiyan & Namek Sagas) and Faulconer score as it's supposed to be placed.

Unfortunately, I started this all the way back with the Namek as the Kai version was airing on Toonami, but I only found a process that truly works at the start of the Androids Saga, so once I'm done with Cell I'm gonna have to go back and redo the first half all over again.

"Wait, I don't remember 'Allahu Akbar' being in the lyrics..." - Eagles Of Death Metal

• SwimSuperHero

Zenigundam said:

It gets right to the point and the animation is way better. The only thing DBZ has going for it is better music and voice-acting (the Ocean dub in particular).

I agree. The original DBZ has way too much filler.
    Kai is more like the manga.

Usopp Fanatic since 2003.

• Special Snowflake

Wow. We agree on something.

• SwimNerd

Disagree. Kai is trash because of the intro music and voice acting. Sure there's filler out the ass but your either 12 or stoned off your ass so it all works out.

You called down the thunder. Well, now you've got it!