Whatever happened to the owl shot glass game?
614   20

• Banned

Let's start that again, I vote me first

You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keep… his PRIDE!

• Helper

Betty disappeared, sort of. She had gone to one of the members and then he seemed to fall off the boards. It's not known where she is right now.

• Banned

I'm sure I can buy a shot glass and start it up

You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keep… his PRIDE!

• ShoeHands

start it up yo

• Helper

Majin_Mayhem2 said:

I'm sure I can buy a shot glass and start it up

There have been offers of a new shot glass from previous participants in order to try getting things moving forward again but what with the new boards and the scattering of everyone, it's been sort of questionable.

The most painful thing of all is not so much the shot glass disappearing as all the journals of the travels and stops also disappeared with it. If the [person] who received it last became embarrassed by how long they had it sitting around their place, they could have just sent it all to the emergency return address of WS on the inside cover. At least then we'd know it got back to it's start safely even if that meant the end of it all.

...they said i'd live forever, but they lied...it's been much longer...
    Cheerful Supplier of Chaos throughout the Known Universe and Beyond...we now have WTF...
    [this pathetic cry for attention has been brought to you by the letters F, U and the number 2]

• Banned

No the glass was broken in post

• Helper

Majin_Mayhem2 said:

No the glass was broken in post

There were two glasses. ;)

When duz said she wasn't going to keep it if she won it, WS sent her two shot glasses. The first one did eventually break [not in post, it fell on a carpeted floor in just the right / wrong angle] , it was sent to duz who sent pieces out to as many members as she could [I have a piece - it's a small part of the owl side that was shown in the commercials] . And she sent out the second one - it made it to me a second time so I was able to do some tightening and repair work on the original cask it traveled in. The very last I had heard of it was shortly before Purrr was slated to have her baby where it was safely packed at [user's] place.

Cheerful Supplier of Chaos throughout the Known Universe and Beyond...we now have WTF...
    [this pathetic cry for attention has been brought to you by the letters F, U and the number 2]

• Banned

Ahhhh ok we got ahold of duzi...but I can buy another shot glass but it's gonna be a tacky Texas one

• Banned

ITT

ME.....I WANT TO DO SOMETHING.....LOOK AT ME!

• SwimVeteran

The traveling shotglass???? Doooood id f**king do that! Never got it all those years ago.

Confused what I thought with something I felt.
    Confuse what I feel with something that's real.

Interesting. I have a shard from that same side of the glass. I remember putting my name on the list to host the glass a second time, but it never did make it to me.

• Banned

I know right...ill buy a shot glass and start making a list

• SwimVeteran

Do it

Confused what I thought with something I felt.
    Confuse what I feel with something that's real.

• IB

i never was an original part of that because i was under 21 at the time that started. by the time i was old enough i think i would have been like 5000th in line. since we've lost all those people now i'd only be 20th in line which isn't as bad. LESDOIT

This sig is an awesome sig. :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love: - InsaneFox
    some of us are good at suck - discolemonade

• SwimPunk

ahhh I remember those days. I was shots 40 something.

• Babbling

I think it was called the Swimmerhood of the Traveling Shotglass. I always felt that the shotglass was only sent to people who kissed Duzi's ass. Sorta like a clique thing. I requested the glass be sent to me but I never got a response. F**king racists.

• Helper

ThorsPenor said:

I think it was called the Swimmerhood of the Traveling Shotglass. I always felt that the shotglass was only sent to people who kissed Duzi's ass. Sorta like a clique thing. I requested the glass be sent to me but I never got a response. F**king racists.

Naw, people sent to were based on whether or not they had enough presence on the board when they asked to be included that they could hopefully be trusted and were picked by the person who was hosting the glass at the time. So Rainy_Day_May picked me from the sign-up line-up because I think she felt that I was a solid enough presence on the boards to get it fairly early on and I picked VicodinEs because there was something in the box with the shot glass for him placed in there by duz at the start that I felt he should get quickly to free up space for things for other people. The one time someone got on the list under an alt that it turned out was someone who was under an IP ban, it was actually put to a vote as to whether or not to allow them to remain on the receiving list and could have gone either way.

If you requested after Betty went AWOL, that was probably on me if you weren't answered. I was likely trying to figure out how to get ahold of that [user] along with some medical issues. And if you requested after they put a cap on thread lengths, the lack of response was unfortunately deliberate because the thread was already over count but wasn't locked in the hopes that [user] would show the hell up and check it. If it had gotten much bigger though it would have had to be locked anyway and making a new thread might not have been worth it. :( So sorry if you felt you were missed, dude. Hawaii would have been an awesome edition to the mileage lists.

Yes, that is the name it went by. However, you are not completely correct on how people were selected to host the glass. It is true that some people were selected only because they were good friends with Duzi, others were selected because they were a friend of a friend, and with round two you just had to ask and hope whoever was maintaining the list put your name on it... That being said, most of the people involved in the first round of hostings got on the list by participating in any number of user created contests, and that was how the selection process was done for a good two years that I can remember. I won a contest and was selected by a user who wasn't overly familiar with me. I then ran a three part contest and selected a user that I had seen around for a year or so, but never had a bunch of direct contact with her. In the beginning it was sort of a clique thing like you mentioned. Very quickly it became anything but and anyone who wandered into the thread could take a shot with a fair and equal chance of getting picked, and that is the way it was for a huge portion of the project's lifetime. I do have to take into account what Katt said about having a board presence and being trusted as also playing a part in the selection process because pretty much everyone weaved that into their final choices. A few times there were people that were almost completely unknown, in most of those instances a well known user would vouch for them. So, yes... board presence and trustworthiness were important factors. But, had the selections remain within the clique circles, there were many people who hosted that glass that never would have had the opportunity because they did not run in those circles.

• Helper

Yeah, the contests were fun. I entered a couple of time before I won. The 50th user had a Valentine's Day love letter/poem contest because it started the week before V'day. But it had to be a love letter between two canon AS characters.

My contest was a fanfic one with SG. The winner was a damn good one set in Cowboy Bebop.

SwanDeath said:

Yes, that is the name it went by. However, you are not completely correct on how people were selected to host the glass. It is true that some people were selected only because they were good friends with Duzi, others were selected because they were a friend of a friend, and with round two you just had to ask and hope whoever was maintaining the list put your name on it... That being said, most of the people involved in the first round of hostings got on the list by participating in any number of user created contests, and that was how the selection process was done for a good two years that I can remember. I won a contest and was selected by a user who wasn't overly familiar with me. I then ran a three part contest and selected a user that I had seen around for a year or so, but never had a bunch of direct contact with her. In the beginning it was sort of a clique thing like you mentioned. Very quickly it became anything but and anyone who wandered into the thread could take a shot with a fair and equal chance of getting picked, and that is the way it was for a huge portion of the project's lifetime. I do have to take into account what Katt said about having a board presence and being trusted as also playing a part in the selection process because pretty much everyone weaved that into their final choices. A few times there were people that were almost completely unknown, in most of those instances a well known user would vouch for them. So, yes... board presence and trustworthiness were important factors. But, had the selections remain within the clique circles, there were many people who hosted that glass that never would have had the opportunity because they did not run in those circles.

yeah, i was in SHOTTS round 2, and I had to win a contest. I was SHOTTS # 70, 71, somewhere around there, and I won it after ShadowGuy6, who was a buddy of mine, lol. I don't remember who i picked as the winner to my contest, but I do know I sent The Box to Duzi for culling. There was some great stuff in that box. other stuff, not so great.

My ass.