Best gateway anime?
2689   93

Just finished rewatching Cowboy Bebop for who knows how many times.....
    Bebop is an obvious answer for a gateway anime I'd recommend to anyone, so I'll add Baccano! as a perfect series for new fans, what would you recommend someone who hasn't watched much anime?

"What do you mean lower myself? That's the only thing I've ever been. Just a simple human that couldn't save a little girl" -Edward Elric

Berserk

Yeah the 1997 series is a good choice.

"What do you mean lower myself? That's the only thing I've ever been. Just a simple human that couldn't save a little girl" -Edward Elric

• ShoeHands

I'd recommend a gateway to anime that isn't really anime.
    Avatar: The Last Airbender & The legend of Korra.

Cool devises.

You called down the thunder. Well, now you've got it!

• Babbling

One of my favorites was Ninja Scroll. But that's old school anime. I guess I would suggest the ones that I like and have seen on [as]. Trigun, Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebop.

Death note and One Punch man.

• Babbling

Oh yeah Death Note. I liked that one. One Punch Man is also something I'm excited to watch on a Saturday night.

Loved Death Note for the first half....kinda jumped the shark tho

As soon as Mello hits the scene, it's all downhill from there.

scope85 said:

Well it famously goes downhill after the Light and L dynamic is gone. I don't think the author realized at the time that the interaction between the two of them literally made the show.

But even the second half i'd still take over 99 percent of all anime ever made.

• SwimNinja

FMA Brotherhood and Magi.

"The enemy of my enemy is just another man standing in my way." -Nikita

• Special Snowflake

Some Satoshi Kon and Studio Ghibli films, I suppose. There are many people who lile them but don't like other anime at all.

Memento Mori

If we're busting out all time fan favorites here, Angel beats, Future Diary (might be too weird to be a gateway anime) Clannad, Toradora, Stein's Gate, and Rosario Vampire.

• SwimVIP Banned

I'd start with a few movies: Akira, Ghost In the Shell, and Macross Plus.

Then I'd move them to Cowboy Bebop. Then some sort of succession of Trigun, Gundam 0083, Death Note, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and / or Evangelion.

If successful, the person will fall into the animu trap. May God have mercy on their soul.

"Wait, I don't remember 'Allahu Akbar' being in the lyrics..." - Eagles Of Death Metal

• Puppy Power

Buddyroe274 said:

Berserk

Then watch Texhnolyze.

09/13/03

• Babbling

I agree with what Daospawn said. When Light vs. L that was exciting. I have to admit I didn't watch every single episode but I got to see most of the story play out and then the ending.

Totally disagree with long winded shonen being "gateway"

FMA and Inuyasha are great but I'm not sure I'd consider them Gateway anime.

"Hey... so how long is this series? Like 10 or 12 eps?"

"Nah.. 2 or 3 hundred. Just watch an episode or two a week and you'll be done in 4 or 5 years."

Daosspawn said:

scope85 said:

Well it famously goes downhill after the Light and L dynamic is gone. I don't think the author realized at the time that the interaction between the two of them literally made the show.

But even the second half i'd still take over 99 percent of all anime ever made.

Not only did the show need L but Light had won, his actions were more interesting in the beginning but by the time L died Light had infiltrated the police and he basically had free reign until Near came along at the end.

Daosspawn said:

Totally disagree with long winded shonen being "gateway"

FMA and Inuyasha are great but I'm not sure I'd consider them Gateway anime.

"Hey... so how long is this series? Like 10 or 12 eps?"

"Nah.. 2 or 3 hundred. Just watch an episode or two a week and you'll be done in 4 or 5 years."

Inuyasha maybe but FMA Brotherhood is definitely not long winded.