Indiana woman uses religious freedom as reason to beat children
310   10

• Banned

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/08/indiana-woman-uses-state-religious-freedom-law-to-justify-lashing-son-with-coat-hanger/

A 30-year-old Indiana woman facing felony child abuse charges is arguing that she should not be prosecuted under the state’s “religious freedom” law, WTHR-TV reported.

Kin Park Thaing said in court that she beat her 7-year-old son with a coat hanger in accordance with her religious beliefs and quoted from the Biblical verse Proverbs 23:13, which states, “Do not withhold discipline from a child: if you strike him with a rod, he will not die. If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol.”

According to court documents, Thaing attacked the boy on Feb. 3. She said she hit the boy in order to stop him from endangering his 3-year-old sister.

“I was worried for my son’s salvation with God after he dies,” she was quoted as saying. “I decided to punish my son to prevent him from hurting my daughter and to help him learn how to behave as God would want him to.”

This is what happens when you let superstitious backwoods goobers run the government. You start rationalizing child abuse as Yahweh's will. Thank the nonexistent God of Abraham that I don't live in a percolating shitpool like Indiana.

• Thunder Goddess

It's not about letting superstitious products of incest run the government, it's about letting them raise children - they may point to the Bible, but it's probably got a lot more to do with being raised in a society where using weapons on children is normalized.

And because you knew it' would show up sooner or later -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOILKHmZBwc

“None of us are saints.” – Albert Fish
    "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" -- Stephen Wright

• Special Snowflake Banned

ENA_D said:

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/08/indiana-woman-uses-state-religious-freedom-law-to-justify-lashing-son-with-coat-hanger/

A 30-year-old Indiana woman facing felony child abuse charges is arguing that she should not be prosecuted under the state’s “religious freedom” law, WTHR-TV reported.

Kin Park Thaing said in court that she beat her 7-year-old son with a coat hanger in accordance with her religious beliefs and quoted from the Biblical verse Proverbs 23:13, which states, “Do not withhold discipline from a child: if you strike him with a rod, he will not die. If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol.”

According to court documents, Thaing attacked the boy on Feb. 3. She said she hit the boy in order to stop him from endangering his 3-year-old sister.

“I was worried for my son’s salvation with God after he dies,” she was quoted as saying. “I decided to punish my son to prevent him from hurting my daughter and to help him learn how to behave as God would want him to.”

This is what happens when you let superstitious backwoods goobers run the government. You start rationalizing child abuse as Yahweh's will. Thank the nonexistent God of Abraham that I don't live in a percolating shitpool like Indiana.

I doubt her religion was a motivation for beating her son. It sounds like she's just using it as a defense after the fact. From the situation, it doesn't sound like she tried to rationalize anything before hand.

It sounds like her son might have been doing something sexual to her daughter to bring on the beating. Probably an anger thing and not a religious thing at all. It's questionable as to whether this was a one time incident brought on by the boy's abuse of his sister or an ongoing thing.

Anyway, if there were no religion then the violence carried out under its name would just be carried under the name of something else. It's just a trapping, not a real motivation for most who push for violence. Even terrorism by Islamists is driven more by other factors that would exist without the religion.

• IB

I got whoopins with clothes hangers, switches, and extension cords but never that bad. My welps would go away in like 2 days or so ... when I really got in trouble

• SwimSuperFan Banned

I'm not completely negative about religious people, but I think it's obvious that this is the kind of no-good goody-good misinterpreter we need to weed out.

I have reached acceptance.

Blatch's Toonami Ratings Timeline

Escalator

• Wednesdays: Squid Girl (in my dedicated thread)
    • Sundays: TBA
    • Random days: Re:ZERO (anime watching thread, w/ commentary on Imgur)

• SwimStar

But they denied her request for dismissal, and they made her sign an affidavit stating that she underwent a parental therapy class.

42,917 posts and 4,251 kudos for life, playa.

• Swimuminati

• Toonami

ENA_D said:

not all religious people are backwards

• Other Anime

Religious woman uses Indiana as a reason to beat children

Muscle, muscle! Hustle, hustle!

• SwimComrad

JEEEEEEEEEESOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS

alt text