A General Thread for Content Ratings Aficionados: Now With Hamon and Magical Garment Girls
3014   37

• Toonami

A little under six months ago, on the message board the ASMB was before it changed into something a little more chaotic, I made a thread for me and a few of my board friends - @Blatch, @RogerSmith2004, and @StarstormTheSecond, to be specific - to share our content ratings for various anime, typically in the form of screencaps from those shows with the TV ratings superimposed onto them as if they were being broadcast on one of the Turner networks (barring CNN and TCM). And now that Blatch has brought his Squid Girl rundown back from the depths of beyond, it's about time I brought this back too. Gotta put my screencaps somewhere after all.

I would list all of the shows I've rated thus far, but for now, I'll just stick to the ones that have associated screencaps. Expect spoilers, if you haven't seen the series before.

JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE
    #1 - Dio the Invader - TV-14V (Act 1 Act 2)
    #2 - A Letter From the Past - TV-14V (Act 1 Act 2)
    #3 - Youth With Dio - TV-MA (Act 1 Act 2)
    #4 - Overdrive - TV-14V (Act 1 Act 2)
    #5 - The Dark Knights - TV-14V (Act 1 Act 2)
    #6 - Tomorrow's Courage - TV-14V (Act 1 Act 2)
    #7 - Sorrowful Successor - TV-MA (Act 1 Act 2)
    #8 - Bloody Battle! JoJo & Dio - TV-MA (Act 1 Act 2)
    #9 - The Final Ripple! - TV-MA (Act 1 Act 2)
    #10 - New York's JoJo - TV-14LV (Act 1 Act 2)
    #11 - The Master of the Game - TV-MAV (Act 1 Act 2)
    #12 - The Pillar Man - TV-MAV (Act 1 Act 2)
    #13 - JoJo vs. The Ultimate Lifeform - TV-MAV (Act 1 Act 2)

OREIMO
    #1 - My Little Sister Can't Be My Love - TV-14DL (Act 1 Act 2)
    #2 - My Little Sister Can't Bring Me to an IRL Meet - TV-14DLS (Act 1 Act 2)
    #3 - My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute - TV-14DL (Act 1 Act 2)
    #4 - My Little Sister Can't Be Going to Summerket - TV-14DLS (Act 1 Act 2)
    #5 - My Little Sister's Best Friend Can't Be This XX - TV-14D (Act 1 Act 2)
    #6 - My Childhood Friend Can't Be This Cute - TV-14 (Act 1 Act 2)
    #7 - My Little Sister Can't Be a Novelist - TV-MA (Act 1 Act 2)
    #8 - My Little Sister Can't Be Animated - TV-14 (Act 1 Act 2)
    #9 - My Little Sister Can't Be This Absorbed Into Eroge - TV-14DLS (Act 1 Act 2)
    #10 - My Little Sister Can't Be Cosplaying Like This - TV-14DLS (Act 1 Act 2)
    #11 - My Little Sister Can't Be This Maid - TV-MA (Act 1 Act 2)

IS THIS A ZOMBIE?
    #1 - Yes, I'm a Magical Garment Girl - TV-14DLSV (Act 1 Act 2)
    #2 - No, It's a Vampire Ninja - TV-14DLSV (Act 1 Act 2)
    #3 - Yes, Hair in Pigtails - TV-14DS (Act 1 Act 2)
    #4 - Whoa, Am I Glowing? - TV-14DLV (Act 1 Act 2)
    #5 - Yeah, That's Kyoto Tofu - TV-MA (Act 1 Act 2)
    #6 - Yes, I Summon Death - TV-MAV (Act 1 Act 2)
    #7 - Hey, Which Middle School Are You At? - TV-MA (Act 1 Act 2)

JAPAN ANIMATOR EXPO
    #1 - The Dragon Dentist - TV-PGV
    #2 - HILL CLIMB GIRL - TV-PG
    #3 - ME!ME!ME! - TV-MASV
    #4 - Carnage - TV-MA
    #5 - Collection of Key Animation Films - TV-PGV
    #6 - 20-min Walk from Nishi-Ogikubo Station, 2 Bedrooms, Living Room, Dining Room, Kitchen, 2mos Deposit, No Pets Allowed - TV-MA
    #7 - until You come to me - TV-14V
    #8 - Tomorrow from there - TV-G
    #9 - Gridman: Boys Invent Great Hero - TV-PGV
    #10 - Yamadeloid - TV-PGV
    #11 - POWER PLANT No. 33 - TV-PGV
    #12 - evangelion: Another Impact - TV-14V

DESERT PUNK
    #1 - The Demon and the Double D's - TV-14DLV
    #2 - Rock, Paper, Scissors - TV-14DLSV
    #3 - Fire Dragon Kong - TV-MA
    #4 - An Ace in the Sand - TV-14DLS
    #5 - The Price of Water - TV-14DLS
    #6 - Wandering Lust - TV-14DLSV
    #7 - Age Before Beauty - TV-14DLS
    #8 - A Dog in Heat - TV-MAS

CHARLOTTE
    #1 - I Think About Others - TV-PGDLV (Act 1 Act 2)
    #2 - Melody of Despair - TV-PGDV (Act 1 Act 2)
    #3 - Love and Flame - TV-PGLV (Act 1 Act 2)
    #4 - Moment of Earnest - TV-PGL (Act 1 Act 2)

KUROKO'S BASKETBALL
    #1 - I Am Kuroko - TV-14L
    #2 - I'm Serious - TV-PGDL
    #3 - It's Better If I Can't Win - TV-PGL
    #4 - Take Care of the Counterattack! - TV-14L
    #5 - Your Basketball - TV-14L
    #6 - Let Me Tell You Two Things - TV-PGL
    #7 - You'll See Something Amazing - TV-14L

ERASED
    #1 - Flashing Before My Eyes - TV-14V (Act 1 Act 2)
    #2 - Palm of the Hand - TV-14 (Act 1 Act 2)
    #3 - Birthmark - TV-14 (Act 1 Act 2)
    #4 - Accomplishment - TV-PGD (Act 1 Act 2)
    #5 - Getaway - TV-14 (Act 1 Act 2)

THE MELANCHOLY OF HARUHI SUZUMIYA
    #1 - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I - TV-PGDLS
    #2 - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya II - TV-14DLS

BLACK LAGOON: ROBERTA'S BLOOD TRAIL
    #1 - Collateral Massacre - TV-MAL
    #2 - An Office Man's Tactics - TV-MAL
    #3 - Angels in the Crosshairs - TV-MALSV
    #4 - Oversaturation Kill Box - TV-MAL
    #5 - Codename Paradise, Status MIA - TV-MALV

GIRLS BEYOND THE WASTELAND
    #1 - Girls Who Chase After Their Dreams - TV-PGDL (Act 1 Act 2)

If I ever get back to watching that last one, I may re-rate it TV-14DL.

[it's what the bitch queen would've wanted]

The Ignore feature: a real bitch in more ways than one.

http://pokenirvash.imgur.com/
    https://pokenirvash2.wordpress.com/

• Toonami

And now for the first batch of fresh ratings, complete with show thoughts for added context. Click the makeshift spoiler tags below for more.

Is This a Zombie? #8 - Heh, I'm a Schoolyard Wife

The more she appears, the more Tomonori/Yuki/Maelstrom cements herself as the best girl. It was a pleasant surprise seeing those two girls who hang out around Ayumu's class be so willing to help her out with Ayumu - not only that, but not overreact to his pervertedness - and though the condiments thing was weird, I'd say she did a pretty decent job. Certainly got Ayumu the slightest bit more comfortable with their marriage situation. Speaking of, I'm glad he voiced his thoughts on Tomonori referring to herself as his bride in public, though I'd go a little higher than "just friends".

As for the other girls, Sera's still Sera, though for some reason I'm finding her attitude a little hot now. Probably trying to fill the hole once filled by Esdeath... No matter, I still found entertainment and surprise at her restraint this episode. Not sure why she claimed the X-Ray glasses were hers, when they're technically for the Head Teacher, but stopping Ayumu from peepin'/using them to decode a secret message is as good an excuse as any. Also not sure what the latter was about, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has anything to do with the ramen machine randomly "breaking".

Eu was a little bitchier this episode, but that was mostly her bluntly telling Ayumu that she was sympathizing with Tomonori as a result of the kiss over him. (And making him cry too!) Still, I wonder what the King of the Night wants with her. And Haruna... Goddamn she was needlessly violent this episode. Stomping on Ayumu after dreaming about him, even though he did nothing, and then punching him over and over again and claiming that was her "going easy" on him? Man, Haruna, f**k you.

Rated TV-14DSV for more calling Ayumu a pervert, Tomonori's sexy fantasy sequences, naked Dream!Haruna, rumors that Ayumu's a lolicon, flashback groping, and two shuriken to the eyes.

Screencaps below feature Ayumu on a solo stroll on a shady afternoon, and then accompanying his harem to the local mall.

alttext
    alttext

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure #14 - Ultimate Warriors from Ancient Times

And away we move from Mexico to Italy where Joseph meets his official BroJo: Caesar Zeppeli, voiced by Bryce Papenbrook in his phoniest Italian accent. And unlike the previous Joestar-Zeppeli alliance getting off on the right foot (barring their first encounter being Will punching Jonathan in the gut), they can't stand each other. Caesar hates Joseph for many a reason: his cocky attitude, his weak Hamon skills, and his grandfather being responsible for the death of his own grandfather. Joseph, meanwhile, hates Caesar just because he's able to charm women with the corniest lines imaginable, and is a show-off at that.

So, after a quick Hamon battle where they show off their skills to one another, our protagonists plus Speedwagon are taken to the location of the other three Pillar Men, only to learn that they have already awoken and killed all of the soldiers guarding the place. Oh, and the nice young German soldier who drove them there. Caesar is 100% pissed as a result, and is more than ready to take these guys out.

Long story short, great episode of Battle Tendency as usual, can't wait to watch the next.

Rated TV-MA for impalement by horn, enough blood to block out UV lamps, and cutting a man in two just by walking through him.

Screencaps below show a nice shot of late 1930s Rome and Speedwagon looking kinda nervous there.

alttext
    alttext

Coincidence of the Week

Much to my delight, both episodes shared something in common: the presence of black noodles. For Zombie, the black noodles were boiled seaweed, which Haruna packed Ayumu for lunch instead of the usual rolled omelets. Whether it was out of apology or revenge, the rest of the class sure loved it, even if it does look a little like "burnt sperm". As for JoJo, the black noodles were nero di seppia, which is Italian for spaghetti with squid ink. Humorously enough, Joseph was angry at how it looked, but after learning that it was made that way and not the result of someone accidentally spilling printer ink all over a plate of perfectly good noodles, he gave them a shot and enjoyed it. The black lips he got from them were a little weird, but I got used to them pretty much immediately.

Below are pictures of both dishes. Which one would you prefer?

alttext
    alttext

• Toonami

It's been a while, but I finally got another one done.

ERASED #6 - Grim Reaper

Alright, even though I spoiled myself on some of the more important future events in ERASED - namely, the identity of the killer and what exactly is meant by "NTR" - there's still plenty that have yet to surprise me. Satoru getting arrested, which I wound up forgetting about, is one of those surprising moments. And even more surprising was the fact that the killer was there to see him get arrested! The Revival-triggering blue butterfly wasn't so surprising, but it was an excellent end to a pretty awesome episode. Really glad Airi survived the arson attempt, and that the Manager had a change of heart and helped Satoru out with saving her from the burning wreckage. Speaking of bros, I'm really liking this Sawada guy who helped Satoru out with narrowing the field of suspects. That, I approve.

Rated TV-14D for graphic descriptions of freezing children to death, blood dripping from a metaphorical dead child's hand, strong language, references to pedophiliac tendencies, and luckily non-fatal arson.

Screencaps below feature Airi claiming that her mother suspects "him" for something terrible, and later telling her that "he" didn't do said terrible thing.

alttext
    alttext

• King Of the Hill Banned

Did somebody ask for a Kickstarter?

Girl's High, Episode 1: "High School Girls Are Idiots"

MAIN REVIEW:

The show begins with a pan above the house of Eriko Takahashi. Of course, last names aren't important unless you're discussing people with the same first name, so I won't go into semantics beyond that. The actual point of discussion is that Eriko is almost a high school girl, so she updates the calligraphy scroll in her room to reflect on this. She's also very annoying, at least when she screams. Cue the title sequence.

Cut to the school she's going to. This is especially important because Eriko is going from public school to a girls-only combined middle and high school. On the day before her commencement, she meets up with two good friends named Yuma, whose name seems just vaguely familiar, and Ayano. They have yellow and green hair (respectively), while Eriko's mane has a hue of generic brown. They seek to discover the secrets of a women's high school, while simultaneously trying to get into the school via climbing the wall... aaaaand cue the first panty shot.

It isn't until now that the horrifying realization has set in for the both of us. Yes, for all intents and purposes, this is a fanservice show. If that disappoints you, then get the f**k off my property.

But it's all good, because Eriko climbs the wall with much difficulty, and then the real Three Stooges decide to go on through the old-fashioned way. After this, they change their clothes, but Eriko isn't satisfied with her uniform. Yuma decides to "fix" the issue by cutting her skirt down to a point where her panties are in plain sight, which is just disgustingly sexy. So now they're touring the school, and they make their first stop at the swim team's dormitory... and it's really messy. Not much of an improvement over a public school, let alone a boys-only operation. Eriko becomes very squeamish about this, as the skanky clothes, the stinky shoes, and the pubes are all in full view, and she doesn't notice the athlete's foot cream until it's too late. She runs out of the room (with Yuma and Ayano in close pursuit) and promptly falls down some stairs. This introduces the other threesome of the show: Kouda, Himeji, who is normally called "Hime-chan" (but I prefer not to use that name because it has importance with a character from another show), and the token loli-like Ikue. They're moving up to the high school from the combined school's junior high section, which makes them experts in regards to private school, but that doesn't matter a whole lot.

So Eriko's ass crashes into Kouda's face, and this starts a chain of arguing and fear-mongering among the two. Eriko tries to impress the private school students by spouting some blatant lies (such as that private school automatically gives you a boyfriend, and it makes your period only happen once a year, both of which I find funny) that they somehow fall for. Commencement happens on the next day, and after Kouda learns that Eriko's promises were bunk, the two face off in a showdown full of brutally punching... the teacher in the face. "Idol Onagiri" is not happy about being slammed in the noggin, so he punishes the two girls by making them clean some random room. Unfortunately, their misfortune is amplified after a security guard locks the room shut, so they become trapped inside. This is not noticed until after some random competition involving visual humor, which is also funny. You see, the funny moments in this show basically act against the fanservice, thus making them less noticeable.

Eriko and Kouda opt to escape by going through a vent in the room, but this just leads to more panty shots and asses slamming into faces. Eventually, Yuma and the other students, concerned about the two girls' safety, find them in a simple predicament, and the situation is solved! Following this, Ikue takes everyone out for ramen. This concludes the first episode of Girl's High.

So, overall... yeah. This is a fanservice show first and foremost, but at least it differs from the crowd for not really going for smut. It also tries to make room for a genuinely interesting story about high school girls, as well as how dirty their mannerisms really are. Unfortunately, if you want to see it, you'll have to sift through a lot of panty shots and gratuitous rammings of the asshole unto thy face. And the fanservice content is only going to get worse in the following episodes. Of course, I know that because I've already seen four of them.

Stray observations:

• So in case you haven't figured it out yet, I wanted to find a second show to accompany my original Splatoon-themed throwdown for Squid Girl. I wanted to do Princess Princess, which is a show that I like, but that one had lots of crossdressing, but not enough smut to bring the show past a TV-PG straight for any episode. Ultimately, I went for another Media Blasters show I just so happened to find when scouring the cable listings. Ironically, I never would have found it out had it not been for the "Digital Preferred" option, which unlocked the Toku Anime channel to me. Love Live! wins again, yo!
    • The opening and themes are just J-Pop, so I won't talk about them, but the incidental music is actually quite funny. It (at least the one repeated riff in this episode) sounds very chaotic and circus-like, and it amplifies the hilarity of Eriko doing something stupid.
    • Take one letter out of Eriko, and you get Eiko.
    • I find it interesting that Kouda and Himeji aren't usually called by their first names.
    • I didn't even mention the "Comical Magical Singing Contest" that Eriko and Kouda want to watch later on in the night, but it was fun. Of course, I wanted to see Aqours win that thing, goddamnit.
    • If you look up Girl's High on Danbooru, most of the fanart you'll find is just parodies of the ending sequence, which features the main girls putting on make-up (another similarity with the other show) and dancing. The titular high school girls seem to be very unpopular.

Content rating: TV-14DLS

First of all, this episode had a bit to say about hygiene, and this included brief mentions of a woman's period. Of course, the reason it got a D is for talk about what men do, and Eriko showed disgust at high school boys having their p***ses out in class, though the offending word wasn't directly used. Also, there was the aforementioned mention (and direct sight) of pubes, and Eriko used the word "anal" to describe Kouda... and she didn't deserve it!

As for the other subratings, the L was achieved through "bitch" being used twice, as Eriko and Kouda each labeled the other as one, and Yuma used an abbreviated version of "bullshit". Finally, the S was achieved thanks to a mother lode of panty shots, as well as two instances of implied bukake. Also noteworthy were Eriko falling off the chain-link fence guarding the school, and Idol Onagiri being at the receiving end of a punch. However, neither of those sequences were anywhere near graphic in nature.

Ratings screencaps: The cold opening shows the Takahashi household, while the act break is a portrait of Kouda, with her incoherently sexy widow's peak in full view.

I do plan on doing two screencaps for each episode of this show, but as you'll see next time, it won't amount to much.

I plan on doing recaps/ratings analysis on Mondays and Fridays. With Squid Girl on Wednesdays falling in the middle, it'll be like a sandwich... hopefully, it'll be a delicious sandwich.

[I just hope it isn't a sandwich of nasty pube bread]

Mondays & Fridays: Girl's High
    Wednesdays: Squid Girl
    Random days: Re:ZERO

Twitter | Tumblr | Steamy | Content ratings | Something cool!

• Toonami

Wow, didn't expect this thread to get a bump-up like this. And just when I had started getting comfortable just posting my screencaps in the "What Anime Are You Watching?" thread...

Well, guess this thread could use a little more of me. I don't have any ratings to talk about right now, but as always, my ratings albums are free for your browsing pleasure. I highly suggest you stick to the first four, as they're the only ones I'm working on thus far.

[initial d season 1 finale coming soon]

I didn't want to create another dedicated thread for a series I was doing, so I decided to go here, and even after a hiatus lasting 5 1/2 months, it's still quite be-you-tee-ful.

Also, you don't offer any extended thoughts about such shows in the thread, so I figured that bringing back this could enable some fabulous critique.

• Toonami

Of course. Right now, I'm thinking about using this thread for Kuromukuro and 91 Days, since spending each week talking about Is This a Zombie? and JoJo turned out to be a bust. All I can say right now for those two are, for the former, "Sera is love, Sera is life", and for the latter, "Holy shit."

[i assume the pizza is a metaphor for something]

And just like that, here's the second review. I think I actually finished this during the most recent edition of Toonami.

Girl's High, Episode 2: "Physical Exams... The Scent of a Woman's Shyness"

MAIN REVIEW:

This episode begins on a rather odd note, as Eriko and her friends ("5 Brave Heroines", as it is said) have become pirates... but only for the cold opening segment. All of the episodes I have seen after the first one have featured vignettes of this nature, and they have very little to do with the primary story at hand. So yeah, that's kind of weird. Not helping is the segment after the OP, where Ayano is in her bra and panties, frolicking among the fields with... her older sister!? That can't be good.

But to get to the main plot point in the episode, the girls have all commenced to the upper grade, so now it's time for their physical exams! Unfortunately, none of Eriko's trio is interested in stripping down and going out. At least Kouda has experience with the concept. The gowns they have to wear only cover the very fronts of their bodies, and they doesn't do much in regards to shielding the sideboob. So, if you were a fan of The Peter Griffin Sideboob Hour on PTV, get ready for tons of freshly skinned goodness! And yes, I recycled that joke from the Imgur album, but really, this shit is irresistible.

Unfortunately, as the exams begin, Eriko and Yuma quickly get left behind. The latter's flowmaster must have stopped functioning at some point. Meanwhile, Kouda and Ikue cruise through their various tests, while Himeji takes a while to start thanks to wearing her blazer over her skirt as to try and stay pure. Also, the other girls find hickeys on her body, which causes her to admit to her boyfriend, and potentially losing her virginity. This is exciting girl's school gossip, I know. Kouda is going so fast on her exams because of a bet with her 5 friends. She eventually pulls through, however. Whoever did the exams slowest would have to serve cake to the others. I don't know if a maid uniform is required of it, but it should be.

Much of the rest of the episode consists of stupid, yet pretty amusing gags. Ayano accidentally memorizes the wrong column of symbols to pronounce. Ikue fluffs her hair out to get taller, but the examiner isn't so easy on her. Eriko can't pee in a cup, and she absolutely hates injections, which makes trying to take a blood sample very hard. Maybe if Harris had volunteered to give her an enema, her fear wouldn't have spiraled out of control. Ultimately, Eriko and Yuma stay behind, meaning that they can't finish the exam on time. They have to do the remaining tests in a hospital van parked out of the school, which puts them in full view of the other students as they finish up. Kouda warned them about this, but she preferred to put the promises of cake above public humiliation.

Now, what do you have to say about this awesomely disgusting bit of television? Personally, I was only barely able to contain my composure while watching it. Maybe if another show had done an episode about physical exams, it would be exempt from criticism through some sort of double standard. However, Girl's High deserves its mockery for managing to pack so many panty shots into one lurid tale, but it should be praised for its strengths. After all, when this show originally came out in the Spring 2006 season, the average American anime fan's idea of a good show was... somewhat skewed. For one thing, they didn't like Princess Princess, but what they did really love were ninjas. Back then, Girl's High was probably one of the best non-ninja shows out there.

Stray observations:

• This week's opening vignette: The pirate thing. Also, Himeji may have pulled a One Piece reference into her portrayal.
    • The best joke in the episode was Ayano being reluctant to show off her boobs to the examiner. However, she was able to do so after imagining the idea. She, wearing a mustache and a turncoat like some sort of criminal, exposed herself, with all explicit nudity censored... and a police car coming towards the audience. Yeah, that's real smooth. You won't get a screenshot of the offending scene, mainly because I want you to check out the official subs on Crunchyroll.
    • And speaking of the page I just linked to, how come they just took the cover of the (English) Vol. 1 DVD without any edits? It even has a bunch of JPEG artifacts.
    • Eriko is actually pretty cute when she's screaming like a baby.
    • Apparently, the cake was going to come out of the loser's wallets. Kouda seems to have a big appetite, which has bad implications for Eriko's stash of money.

Content rating: TV-MA

And there it is.

While not quite enough for a TV-MAS, the gratuitous sideboob all throughout this episode definitely pushed it to the top straight rating. Also noteworthy was Ayano flashing us, and yet more egregious panty shots. There were also mentions of Himeji's virginity and boob groping, though both of those are basically TV-PG material nowadays.

Ratings screencaps: The opening vignette is of Ikue. I wanted to get a shot of all 6 girls combined (mainly so you could see Himeji's stretchy arm), but it was after the 16-second mark, so I settled for just one character. The act break shows a typical scene from the day of their physical exams.

[chew it... chew the cake]

• Toonami

Alrighty then, you gave me yours, now I'll give you mine.

91 Days #1 - Night of the Murder

Our story begins... sometime in the 1920s, it isn't specified when. What matters is that this show takes place in America during Prohibition, only unlike Baccano! and more like Chrono Crusade, it's the Prohibition era before the Depression f**ked everybody over further.

Moving on, as the episode title implies, the series (chronologically) starts with a murder. Mafioso Vincente Vanetti has just taken the life of his crime family's don, and has arrived at the house of Testa Laguza, who I assume is the family's banker, to collect the ledger and become the new don. As the ledger is still at the bank and Vincente has a gun pointed at his head, Testa retaliates by attacking him. It's that brave action, however, that gets him murdered. Vincente and his men also kill Testa's wife Elena and son Luce, the latter murder done on the pretense that if he were to survive, he'd never forget them, and they can't have that.

Turns out they're correct, as Angelo, Testa's other son who survived the massacre by hiding in the wardrobe, clearly hasn't forgotten the men who killed his family. With no home to go back to, as Vincente set it on fire, Angelo skipped town and changed his name to Avilio Bruno.

7 years later, he receives an unmarked letter addressed to his true name, with a picture of Luce being the only thing inside. Viewing this as a chance to get his revenge against the Vanetti Family, Avilio returns to his hometown of Lawless (named for its being outside the law) with plans to infiltrate them and take them out. His first step to doing so: meeting back up with his childhood friend Corteo and, much to the latter's reluctance, selling the homemade moonshine he's bootlegging to a bar run by the family to get within what passes for their good graces.

The two arrive on the Island, the most lawless place in Lawless, to make the transaction, but find themselves on the wrong end of another mafia dispute. Turns out the two guys who normally supply the bar (which was built inside an old church) with booze stole some Mexican liquor from the Orco Family, the Vanettis' rivals, and the Orco sent their enforcer, a psychopath named Fango (who, as one Rebecca Silverman put it, looks awfully '70s for being in the Prohibition era), to get it back and take out the liquor thief in question, Nero Vanetti, while they're at it. Two cases of mistaken identity and a near-death scare later, Avilio, Corteo and the two liquor suppliers manage to hold off Fango by throwing bottles of liquor at him (the best defense against an active shooter) before one explodes, providing them with an exit. And upon escaping, Avilio learns that the two liquor suppliers are with the Vanetti family, and one of them is the Nero in question: Don Vanetti's son.

So, thoughts on this show so far? To be perfectly honest, I'm really liking it. Nothing extremely stand-out yet, but still, it's very exciting. My personal favorite parts of the episode were the art direction, Fango's voice (courtesy of the talented Kenjiro Tsuda), and Avilio's devil-may-care attitude. The latter quality was best shown when his reaction to bartender Granchio dumping out a glass of Corteo's liquor he poured... was to silently pour another one. Truly Avilio is the MC we need. All in all, great episode, can't wait for the next one.

Rated TV-14LV for familicide, switchblade violence, exploding bottles of paraffin, and the word "asshole".

Screencaps below feature Avilio returning to his place out of Lawless in the pouring rain, and helping himself to a smoke in Corteo's kitchen.

alt text
    alt text

We've started to get a rhythm down in this thread, so I feel its title could use an update. "Now With Prohibition Antics and High School Depravity", perhaps?

Let's keep going.

Girl's High, Episode 3: "Love, Deception, and a Love Hotel?"

MAIN REVIEW:

This episode starts with a scene of Himeji being executed. Everyone wants the death penalty for her, even though the crime is merely having a boyfriend. Nonetheless, after an Imagine Spot opening, she wakes up from the nightmare. Meanwhile, a dude named Hiroshi (how interesting...) calls her at night to tell her he as acquired enough tortured souls people for a speed dating party! Hooray. She lets everyone know about this the next day at school. Ayano lets God know that she wants to find the perfect guy, while Kouda and Eriko get consumed by a bad Photoshop effect! Oooo-oooo~...

So they go into the city, and Kouda is wearing probably the most profusely disgusting BDSM outfit of all time, though she later changes into a military-inspired outfit that I absolutely love. Also, Ayano wears a very casual dress which soon endures a not-so-casual panty shot. In the middle is a meeting with a dude named Shimotakatani. Of course, before any romantic meetings can begin, the party itself must commence... leading to a very non-traditional karaoke. Kouda sings the names of the stations along the Tohbu Tohjo/Toujou Line. Eriko does a rap of Pi up to the 100th digit. Yuma sings the show's own OP for her performance. With all things considered, it's hilarious.

Himeji and Ogawa soon decide to leave. And... well, I'm talking about Ikue. I've never heard her name said like this until now, but I guess it makes sense. After all, Kouda and Himeji are both primarily known by their last names. I suppose it makes sense as a way to disambiguate Eriko and Kouda's cliques from one another, but anyway... the rest of the girls get suspicious because they don't know where Ms. Ogawa went, so they want to find her. Ideally, they think she's having sex. Of course, Ayano just wants to be lovey-dovey with her own crush.

So Ezaki (the dude Ogawa is with, and he looks like a palette swap of Klein, or that foul-mouthed punk from Parasyte) goes with her to a love hotel. If you don't know what one of those is, well... Nintendo once made them. Ogawa picks out a room, and the two soon head to it, with everyone else in hot pursuit. They go to the one booked room on the bottom row, since it's the only one Ogawa could have reached (if she picked it, but we know she did). Meanwhile, Ezaki is getting really pissy with Ogawa, and he really wants to have sex with her, whether she likes it or not, or even worse... well, you know. If I already mentioned Sword Art Online, it's probably gonna degenerate into rapey bits somewhere down the line. So yes, it seems as if Ogawa might get raped, which would put this show in a very dubious place on my shelf...

...but since Ezaki took some sleeping pills a little earlier on, he falls asleep, and Ogawa soon shifts to playing video games to pass the time.

Phew.

Stray observations:

• This week's opening vignette: A crime scene. Eriko is a really fat prosecutor, and Yuma is (apparently) the criminal, though she quickly turns the tides on the opposition. Also, Himeji is apparently a registered cop, even though that's completely out of line with how the episode portrayed her.
    • If there's one lesson to be learned from this episode, it's... erm, I can't remember Michiko & Hatchin well enough to make the proper joke, but was Hiroshi guy you could trust? What about Satoshi?
    • The "Pi Rap" really is the funniest scene in the series thus far. Yuma motioning along the (fourth) wall while Kouda and Eriko are singing really sells it.
    • Aside from those, I must have scraped this episode clean out of the barrel, because I can't think of anything else to say.

Content rating: TV-MA

Another one for the pile... but it didn't get that way overnight.

If you had asked me prior to the end of the episode, I would have given this episode a TV-14DL. The suggestive dialogue came from several mentions of virginity, Ezaki wanting to "get it on" with Ogawa, and some rando couple talking about a 4 on 4 and "a full-on orgy", or something. The L would have came from one use of "shit" that came directly after the above quoted portion.

However, because God wants me to earn my fun in strange ways, the very last scene had to happen. Eriko goes into the mini-fridge to get a drink, but she finds a dildo instead. It's pretty realistic, and it wiggled around just like a real dick would. This was enough for me to bump the rating up to TV-MA.

Ratings screencaps: The opening vignette features Yuma getting her shots in (this certainly ain't no Utopia...), and the act break shows off some rooms you can rent out at a love hotel.

[at least you can always trust Akron Watson]

• Toonami

1. Pretty much.
    2. I demand pictures of Kouda wearing this BDSM outfit, just to see how "disgusting" it is. Among other reasons...
    3. The lesson is, never trust anyone named Hiroshi, especially if their last name is Morenos.

91 Days #2: Phantom of Falsehood

I would go into a long, semi-elaborate summary of the episode's events, but as this thread is for the shows I feel like talking and rating about, I'll just do a quick sum-up from this episode on. Or at least, I'll try to.

Basically, the main plot of the episode concerns the continuing tensions between the Vanetti Family and the Orco Family. They, plus the Galassia Family who acts as boss to the both of them, are planning on convening in three months, when the Vanetti's "playhouse" (which probably means theater) is completed, and are trying to keep things peaceful in the meantime. However, Vanno's (that's the thick-looking dude from last episode) tendency to steal booze from the Orco isn't keeping things "peaceful", especially when his runner Tronco gets killed. To get revenge while keeping things peaceful, Nero suggests that they kill some of the Orcos - namely Fango and his knife-man Serpente - without pulling the trigger themselves. In short: they're gonna have Avilio act as their freelance hitman.

So Avilio heads to the apartment of Fango's mistress (more on that later) to kill him, but he manages to get away. However, he and Vanno manage to get Serpente, the dude who killed Tronco, and take him out to an old graveyard on the outskirts of Lawless to execute him. Simple enough...

But then things get wild when Avilio pulls his gun on Vanno and executes him; part of his revenge plan against the men who killed his family. (Don Vanetti and Nero are the other two on his hit list.) He then informs Nero of Vanno's demise with a B.S. story pinning Serpente for the crime and not him, but when he takes him to the graveyard, Avilio finds both Serpente's corpse gone and a gun to his back.

Wow, I didn't expect the series to ramp it up to 11 this quickly. I was expecting Tronco to bite it the moment his obvious death flag (wanting to buy a Phantom car) came up, and the same could be said of Serpente. I would've included Fango, but he's too much fun to kill off just yet. But Vanno? I was expecting him to last about half the series at least. I mean, damn... Being an anime original series that I kept myself from getting spoiled on once the episode hit, the "wham" part of this Wham Episode really hit at full force. And a seemingly important recurring character dying this early on... Makes some of the deaths in Akame ga KILL! (namely those of Sheele and Bulat) come less out of nowhere. I can only wonder where 91 Days can go from here after that.

But yeah, this episode was really good, even before the ending happened. I didn't really think much of the first act's setting - the wedding celebration of Don Vanetti's daughter Fio and Don Galassia's nephew Ronaldo - but I did enjoy Vanno hating on the latter and Avilio later insulting him. (An ass in wolf's clothing indeed.) One part of the episode I found fun were the implications of where Lawless is. Seeing how the Galassia's one of the Big 3 in the general vicinity of Lawless and they run Chicago, it's safe to say that this series takes place in Illinois, probably a couple miles or so away from the worst college in America. (Go Pandas!) And that implication further implies that the over-the-border liquor Vanno's been stealing from the Orco is from Canada and not Mexico. I wonder what makes Canadian liquor so special...

Another part I enjoyed, as you would expect, is the reveal that Fango is kind of a masochist. When Vanno informed Avilio that Fango likes to go to his mistress Lacrima's house on Wednesdays, I came to the logical conclusion that by "mistress", he meant "secret lover" and not "dominatrix sex partner" like I usually associate the word with. But then Avilio snuck into Fango's apartment and we were then treated to the sight of Fango getting whipped with a belt while Lacrima called him a "filthy pig". Probably the most surprising thing this episode outside of Vanno's death, and the most positive surprise at that. Seeing BDSM content in shows you don't expect it to pop up in is always a joy (for me), and 91 Days episode 2 was one of those joyous occasions.

And now you know why I wanna see Kouda's initial speed-dating outfit so badly.

Rated TV-14LV for one s-bomb, one b.s.-bomb, a bloodless shootout, two executions in one night, implied throat slitting, and Prohibition-era S&M play.

Screencaps below feature the obligatory CGI motor vehicle, and Vanno praying for what I assume is his own life.

alt text
    alt text

• SwimVIP

P_N, would it be accurate to say that I'm one of your board friends?

And the Universe said, "Let there be Zeni's YouTube Channel". And so it was. And it was good.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Zenigundam

• Toonami

I go by Poke, and seeing how I don't hate your guts but am not on as good of terms with you as I am with others, you're more of a board acquaintance.

I appreciate the reply, though, as off-topic as it is.

• SwimVIP

Come on now... We've known each other since way back in the AD days... We've gotta be friends, not acquaintances.

And the Universe said, "Let there be Zeni's YouTube Channel". And so it was. And it was good.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Zenigundam

Poke_Nirvash said:

I demand pictures of Kouda wearing this BDSM outfit, just to see how "disgusting" it is. Among other reasons...

Ask, and you shall receive.

I even did it in the style in a pin-up, which fits a girl whose limbs are insanely pointy.

[Episode 4 coming very soon]

Several insanely vigorous sessions of The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth kept me from making my post when I should have. Of course, it is summer, and you've got a bunch of things to take care of at any given time. I could have listened to my new Aqours CD and burned off even more minutes.

At least I'm being less tardy than the last review, when I uploaded it with thirty seconds to midnight.

Girl's High, Episode 4: "Hooray! We Still Wear Bloomers At Sakijo!"

MAIN REVIEW:

Smoke bombs are going off all over the space above the school, which obviously means it's time for the newest installment of their annual Field Day! It's a spirited competition that puts middle schoolers and those of high in spirited competition against each other. Of course, for another good thing about this event, everyone gets to wear skimpy sports clothes. Eriko decides to settle for a blazer, mainly so it will obscure the bloomers sticking out from under her... um, bikini-like. She's on the White Team, which just so happens to be lead by the rather fetching instructor known as Idol Odagiri.

You know, despite giving him a small mention in the first episode's article, I really haven't gone into any sort of depth about this guy. Well, he's basically the homeroom teacher of all six main characters, and he has no reason to exist other than to show off his manliness. He's pretty one-note in nature, and he sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the titular high school girls, so I've mostly been ignoring him. He also showed up in Episode 2, pleasuring himself while looking in a mirror (damn, what a narcissist), and Akari and Kouda noticed him while trying to find a way to get back to their exams. Basically, he's a stud. Ironically, I haven't seen him lead a homeroom class so far in the series. But, to get back to the main point, it's Odagiri's White Team versus the Red Team of Macho Matsuo, a P.E. teacher. This guy has already shown up at the very end of the show's ED, but he's worth even less of a mention. Also notable in this episode is a rival of Kouda named Mari Saionji. Basically, she's like the other Mari, with the same hair color and such, except I've actually heard her talk. Take that, capitalism!

So without further ado, it's time for Kouda to get revenge on this weird girl of whom the plot just summoned here for its own strange reasons. Let's get to a breakdown of the competition. First up is the 50-METER RUNNING RACE, where Ogawa is competing, and she wins it! Though she kinda cheated to get there. The next event is the BALL-TOSS CONTEST, which Himeji can't really compete particularly well in. However, this event exists mostly to make some stupid puns. Also, Mari hits Kouda right in the face. After that stupidity is the BANANA-EATING RACE, which just exists to illustrate a really phallic-looking scene involving Ayano and the ultimate banana dick. Also existing is the CAVALRY GAME, where Himeji carries Ogawa on her shoulders. However, this just exists to make a joke about Himeji being untrustworthy (though she still gets first place). I'm starting to notice a pattern with these events... but it's probably nothing. Also occurring is Yuma having her period, which means she can't compete in a couple of events, so Eriko has to take her places in them.

Next in the barrel are A BUNCH OF EVENTS ERIKO FAILS MISERABLY IN, followed directly by the CLUB VS. CLUB RELAY RACE and the GIANT BALL ROLLING CONTEST. Kouda is in both of these, and she wins at least the latter, though it's because of Mari being a stupidface. But whatever, because this show is none other than Girl's High, and I can't expect any sort of positive energy to exist within it. Ultimately, the final event is the farcical thing we like to call "TOGETHER WITH THE TEACHERS"; it's a three-legged race where you draw the teacher you'll be racing with. Unfortunately, Eriko draws Idol Onagiri for the event, triggering a panty shot, and an automatic loss. Fortunately, the prize for winning the Field Day tournament was only a barbeque, which was self-induced, so everyone decides to get popsicles instead.

Aww.

Stray observations:

• This week's opening vignette: A parody of... well, I would assume it's Journey to the West, even though Eriko calling herself "Son Goku" would automatically make you think of Dragon Ball. I got a kick out of seeing Himeji trapped in the horse costume.
    • Mari actually has quite the intimidating laugh. I'd go as far to say that it sounds Kefka-like.
    • A notable subplot I didn't mention concerns a dude taking pictures of Eriko in risque situations. In the episode's stinger, he publishes them in a magazine under an article with the title "High School Girls Moron Corps". None of the girls are flattered by this.
    • Mari being in the "Cosplay Society" (with a maid outfit, no less) is so f**king stereotypical. Ironically, it's Kouda that often sports the outrageous costumes.
    • Kouda and Ayano are playing... whatever this game with the Jokers is. It showed up in Love Live! and a semi-recent Toonami episode of Hunter X Hunter.
    • Here, have a blob.
    • Now that I know a little more about Love Live! Sunshine!!, I do have to ask Mari: Was it actually a joke?

Content rating: TV-14DL

Upon my first viewing, I rated this episode TV-14LS, though, in hindsight, it obviously wasn't a very smart decision.

So this episode mostly came down to the suggestiveness, and for that, we had a bunch of scattered moments. The episode started out with a little bit of a panty shot. There was the ball-throwing game, which seemed to only exist for the pun, and the banana-eating race had Ayano chomp on it in a very sexy way. I'm not counting it as an intense sexual situation because there wasn't any nudity, but it is very suggestive without really implying such a thing through words. Also noteworthy was the subplot about Eriko's stalker and the regular flavor panty shot in the episode's climactic scene.

On the other hand... and yes, this is sad: the lone swear word dropped when Eriko called Mari a bitch. That is truly it.

Ratings screencaps: The opening vignette is exactly what you think it is. The act break is also exactly what you think it is.

[tsst]

BONUS ROUND: Girl's High DVD Review (Part 1)

Yes, this is what I've decided to do for practically every show I talk about that is being watched via home media.

So here we have the Girl's High DVD release from Media Blasters. I bought the complete series set of the show, which contains all three volumes, though I did buy Volume 1 (which MB called "Teen Spirit") before taking the full plunge. It had a white plastic case while the full release had a black one (a.k.a. reverse racism), though the former probably wouldn't fit in with the rest of my DVD collection.

There's not much to say about the QC. If you know what to expect from anime DVDs made in the late 2000's, you'll like this thing. However, I did have a problem with the complete set: Like their first Squid Girl DVD, one of the center buttons holding the disc in doesn't work right, so it will fall out almost immediately after you open the package. It's frustrating, but after finding out that my package was manufactured upside-down (LOL Media Blasters), I found that it basically only affected the first disc, and that one is never going to come out if you hold it the right way. So, thanks for that.

The DVD starts up with the Media Blasters logo, which is probably one of the cheesiest company logos of the centuries you'll ever see. It is EPIC, although slightly scary to the uninitiated, and I highly recommend that you watch the video I just linked to. Unfortunately, the rest of the DVD is not very exciting. The ED music plays over the main menu, while the OP track drones on over everything else (except for the Features menu, but only on Disc 1, which gives you a nice place to privately relax). The menu is divided into a space for the episodes, a space for features, and, probably the single reason to buy this DVD set for a reason other than the smut, the trailers. Disc 1 just so happens to feature ads for...

• Kite: Hey, it's Yuma's friend! How deliciously coincidental! But anyways, I've heard that this is probably the one sci-fi anime classic of the century for all those kids who never got to watch AKIRA or Ghost in the Shell. Apparently, the "special edition" is now available on DVD. Give me pain, assholes!
    • Sentimental Journey: The first half of the trailer makes me think that this is Your Lie in April if it were made in the 90's, though the random UFO hanging out near a character could mean practically anything. It sure does like the 90's... oh, most certainly. I might check it out.
    • Genshiken: Oh, I remember this! This trailer was on one of my Princess Princess DVDs. And... well, the trailer is edited in a way that almost makes it look like a parody. "Anime fans"... "Figure fans"... "Manga fans"... "Cosplayers"... "Video gamers"... "GamerGaters"... and it's all with very sentimental music playing. It finishes with "Otaku", before saying "It's only funny because it's true"... and then suddenly banging a U-turn into something called "Kujibiki Unbalance", which actually looks more befitting of a 2010's-era "magical high school harem drama magical battle SAO-like" anime. I've heard that this "show within a show" and the actual show are quite good, so... well, the usual response.
    • Grenadier: Um... what's this about? Well, it has a girl... and she kills people? And it's sexy? Yeah... I'll call you back later.

[gratuitous spacer to help save my post formatting FTW]

Now, as for the actual special features, Disc 1 contains a "Textless Opening", "Bonus Episodes"... which is actually one-third of an episode, and "Interviews". To explain the second point, what is being advertised is basically an OVA, only the people who produced this show decided to spread it out over multiple volumes when it came out in Japan. Once I'm done with the regular series, I'll discuss the bonus episode in its entirety. Now, the former point is as advertised, and the latter basically amounts to a TV program featuring the main characters' seiyuus talking about the show. They speak their minds in regards to "Confession Time", and they say what they really think of the characters as well as actual high school girls, all interspersed with footage from the show. It's harmless, and it lasts for all of 17 minutes, which is probably the longest amount of time you can spend thinking about Girl's High without having a misanthropic crisis. You'll find out why when my looky looks at Girl's High continue with the start of Volume 2, and that's coming up in... about one hour.

Yeah, I should have timed this a bit better. I wanted it to come out right after the post for Episode 4, but them's the breaks.

[it only hurts because it's true]

And now, prepare yourselves for the fastest turnaround time on the Internet. Yes, I make damn sure to get every single review/recap/scientific anime study on time before the deadline passes.

Girl's High, Episode 5: "Swimsuits, A Hot Girl, And A Macho Teacher"

MAIN REVIEW:

One day, Eriko is running to school when she is noticed by a young girl. As it turns out, she dropped a pad (err... handkerchief?) on the floor, and the girl wanted to give it back to her. Eriko is intrigued at this development because the girl seems to be of a younger age than her. Also, she is very pretty.

The main plot point in this episode is that today marks the start of swimming portion of the girl's P.E. class, as taught by Macho Matsuo. Unfortunately, the local school pool is broken, so everyone has to go over to the public middle school across town in order to get their fix of the aquatics. Obviously, this is just another way to funnel fanservice into the show, but it isn't bad. There's nothing particularly explicit about this trip, aside from lewd jokes about how to put on a bathing suit. Some of the girls have rather spirited ideas of how it should be done, and the worst of the issue is Kouda putting hers on after taking her panties off in the classroom, just outside of everyone else's view.

The swimming session happens, and it's a free swim, since it's the first such lesson of the year. Unfortunately, Eriko has to have swimming taught to her, which seems to enforce her position as the worst character in the show. Also, a whole bunch of miscellaneous shit takes place.

After the swimming session is over, they meet the girl again. What Eriko doesn't know is that her name is Momoko, and she's Yuma's younger sister. This seems like an awfully convenient way for the plot to introduce fresh meat, as well as mild conflict. Eriko is happy Yuma has a sister who's just as pretty as she is, but when she tries to talk to the older beau, she brushes it off. If Eriko and her friends want to make fun with Momoko, it's okay, but she wants no part of it. I wonder why that could be.

So they go to the local WcDon... erm, Ng Donand? Oh my GOD. Talk about a non-standard McDonald's parody! I love the creativity being put on display here. Anyways, the five friends go to Ng Donand, and Momoko eventually shows up. She seems to love the banter among them. Ayano tells her of Shimotakatani, and Momoko wishes she had a boyfriend as well. After a while, she leaves, and everyone feels all the better for her presence. They talk about how polite she is. Later on, she goes back home to Yuma's house, and we see her talk on her cell phone in a shady way. She references Shimotakatani in the call, and Yuma eventually questions her on this. However, she passes it off as Momoko talking stupid gossip on the phone.

The scene shifts to the next day, where Yuma is staring out the window while the five friends come to her aid. She continues to be antsy about Momoko, even though the girls still love her and want to see the girl again. Kouda thinks Yuma is consumed by the jealousy of having such a pretty younger sister, and Himeji agrees. Meanwhile, Ayano gets another call from Shimotakatani. Later on in the night, she meets him, and although things are happy between the two, he makes remarks about a "strange rumor" he couldn't know to be true about Ayano. Before he can say what it is, the scene cuts to the morning after, where Eriko is really tired. Ogawa confronts her, exclaiming that Yuma and Ayano have gotten into a really big fight.

Yuma is angry at Ayano accusing her of starting a rumor which caused Shimotakatani to break up with her, even though she knows it couldn't be true. She then remembers what Momoko said on the phone, and it revolved around the boyfriend. Ayano also knows there was another person with the last name "Suzuki", and it probably wasn't one involved with performing lewd acts on motorcycles. However, before Yuma can admit to not doing it, she runs away, cursing Momoko for what she has done. Following the ending credits, we cut to Momoko in her own classroom, as she looks in a notebook with the names of the five friends written down. She crosses out Ayano's name as dark clouds roll in.

Finally, the next episode preview plays, and it's more emotional than usual. The script contains mild pondering on the deep emotional complexes of high school girls, and how they can be broken by a single petty act.

So... what just happened?

Drama. That's what happened.

At this point, I feel like I've been had. Did this show suddenly decide to drop the facade of high school smut in favor of a menstruation-charged melodrama? What kind of show will this become? Will it be nothing but sadness and heartbreak the whole way down? Have I somehow stumbled across the mother lode of awesomeness?

Oh my god. Well, as of this time of writing this post, I have "Five Years" by the late David Bowie playing on VLC, which seems like a good summary of the high school experience as portrayed by Girl's High. Of course, you'd have to change the title to "Three Years", since that's how long high school lasts in Japan. My experience was four years, and it didn't feel the better for it.

Stray observations:

• This week's opening vignette: An apparent parody of giant robots. It might be about the Gatchaman franchise, but I don't know for sure. Of course, since it's a five-member team, which leaves Himeji to play the villain.
    • Don't ask me why I don't ever bold the colon. It's a very strange tradition I can't seem to shake off. It just bugs me with how it's formatted.
    • At least this episode reminded me of my favorite Love Live! Sunshine!! girl before the heartbreak. Swimming in a pool full of "You Extract" is one of my life goals.
    • Seriously... "Ng Donand" is the most ingenious parody of McDonald's I have ever seen in an anime. Here is a picture of the establishment.

Content rating: TV-14D

Just because this episode's rating was the lowest in the series thus far doesn't mean it was the tamest. In fact, there were a ton of offending moments to showcase.

First of all, the idea of a pool episode lends itself to sort-of panty shots and cameltoes. There were good amounts of those in the episode. Ayano felt mild pleasure as Yuma put her swimsuit on, and Kouda didn't like her swimsuit being low cut because she was afraid it would "show her bush". Macho Matsuo was called a pervert, and Eriko referenced "that crotch of his, throbbing with his unspent sex drive". Eriko was also afraid of "Matsuo Extract" being in the water, with all of his bodily fluids swimming about, and she was afraid the group "was gonna get pregnant" thanks to his semen, though the word was never used. Also notable was a quick shot of Kouda's cleavage.

None of this was TV-MA worthy, at least in my opinion, and the second half of the episode really helped out the cause by offering virtually no offending content whatsoever. There was another mention of pubic hair, but that was it. It probably could have passed with a TV-PG (or even TV-G) straight by itself.

Ratings screencaps: The opening vignette is as advertised. The act break features the students coming back from a gig at the pool.

Sadly, Kouda got hit with the box in both screencaps, but I'll probably make up for it at some point. It's the least she could deserve.

• Toonami

Ah, so that's why the next episode is titled the way it is.

As for Kouda's outfit, I actually like it, though the cone-shaped kneepads are a little much.

91 Days #3: Where the Footfalls Lead

Picking up from last episode, Serpente's body mysteriously disappeared from the site where he was killed by Vanno (or as Nero believes, Avilio), and in a combination of grief at Vanno's own death and anger at the surprise hole in Avilio's story, Nero demands that he find Serpente's corpse and show it to him, otherwise he's dead.

Not one to dawdle round, Avilio, with Corteo's assistance, figures out the identity of the one person who could've done something with Serpente's corpse post-mortem: Cerotto, a young bartender and acquaintance of Corteo's whose brother has connections to the Orco family. As it turns out, Cerotto followed Vanno's car to the cemetery on the outskirts of town (but only heard the gunshots), and after finding Serpente's body, he sold it to Scusa, the new head of the Federal Bureau of Prohibition. Probably as an example of what happens when you drink in a country where that sort of thing is illegal.

Things seem easy enough from that point - Cerotto leads Avilio to the body at gunpoint, with Nero following and confirming it - but Fango, who's searching for Serpente's whereabouts himself, not to mention whether he's dead or alive, recognizes Nero as he's driving by and follows him to Scusa's building. When he gets there, what ensues is the classic "trading men" game warring mobsters usually do, the trade-offs in this case being Nero's buddy Tigre (once again getting his ass beat) and who they think is Serpente with just a bag over is head, but is actually Avilio in Serpente's clothes. One gunfight with surprisingly no fatalities later, the protags hightail it outta there, while Fango takes the confirmation that Serpente really is dead as reason enough for the Orco to go to war with the Vanetti.

Speaking of which, during a meeting between multiple members of the Vanetti Family surrounding Vanno's demise, Ronaldo (the Galassia nephew) suggests that they kill Nero to avoid having his family get personally involved in the not-nice-making between the Vanetti and Orco. However, Don Vanetti has a similar but different idea: simply have Nero skip town indefinitely. When Frate, the younger Vanetti son, informs Nero of the Don's plan, Avilio offers to join Nero as company on his "quiet drive in the country". He claims that it's because it'd be bad if he stayed around too, as Fango has his face committed to memory, and that's probably right, but he's probably also doing it as a means to get into Nero's good graces before enacting his revenge on him. So, after dropping by Vanno's funeral and paying their respects from afar, Avilio and Nero then head off. But that doesn't mean nobody's after them...

So yeah, it was a good episode as usual. Not as good as episode 2, but enough for me to give the series thus far a 9 on MAL. Can't wait to see where things go from here.

STRAY OBSERVATION: As Nero and Avilio are heading back to the car through Chinatown, I noticed a random passerby in the background. She actually looked pretty cute.

Rated TV-14LV for the obligatory s-bomb, using an eating utensil as a weapon, after-the-fact blood splatters, gun violence, and intense crotch-scratching.

Screencaps below feature a flashback shot of Serpente walking the green mile, and an exterior shot of Scusa's building.

alt text
    alt text

• SwimSuperFan Banned

One banned account later...

Girl's High, Episode 6: "Rift"

MAIN REVIEW:

Hoo boy. Go to the cupboards and grab a bag of chips, because this one is gonna take quite the while.

After a quick recap of the last episode's events, the scene cuts to Kouda talking to some of the other girls while Eriko looks out a window. They're openly wondering why Yuma got mad. She might be more liable to explosions than they thought. Kouda tries to cheer up Ayano, who no longer has a boyfriend... except she does, and she never really expanded on the topic. Then we see the sky start to open up and spew thunderboomers all over the place. Yuma is confronting Momoko for spreading the rumor about Ayano amongst the students. She is highly interested in Momoko's motives, but she won't give any to her. All she wants to know is how Yuma got friends, and she makes sure to defend herself. Regardless, Yuma tells her that if she's only doing this to get more boyfriends, it's meaningless. Friendships between girls last forever, and she won't let Momoka ruin any of the ones she currently has. She runs away, ending the scene and transitioning into the classroom. Idol Odagiri is teaching chemistry, but he can't ignore the tension between Ayano and Yuma.

And so they go to another burger place. It seemingly isn't Ng Donand, though the building looks the same. The five friends are talking to Momoko again, and she begrudgingly admits that Yuma has been more combative than usual as of late. Ayano tells her to relax, because her madness stems from an easily-debunked rumor about her. However, according to Momoko, something else is giving Yuma major stress, something which would eventually cause her to snap under pressure. In an attempt to counter the claim, Eriko thinks Momoko is lying about all of this. She was the one who sent an evil message regarding Ayano just a day after finding out she had a boyfriend, and since Momoko had only become friends with Eriko a few days earlier, it would be obvious that she wanted to terrorize the group all along. Momoko doesn't like Eriko being a snitch to her plan, though Kouda calls her (Eriko) an idiot for somehow not realizing it until now. Eriko continues to be insulted by Momoko through all of this, enforcing the girl's status as a pain in the Astral. Meanwhile, the group minus Eriko goes to meet Yuma, who takes partial responsibility on behalf of her sister being mean. Ogawa gives her a special energy drink as a way of apologizing, and the other girls follow suit with their typical character tics. As this happens, Momoko looks on, jealous of Yuma for having so many friends.

Wow... what a mouthful. And we're only halfway through the episode! This is almost as hard to follow as a typical episode of Dimension W.

In the episode's back half, Yuma and Ayano have finally made nice with each other, and everything mostly back to normal... but something still bothers Eriko. She wants to know why Momoko has a complex, even if she's f**kin' hot in her own right. Therefore, Kouda decides to go investigate with Eriko. They invade two normal middle school students while wearing outrageous costumes, but they run away. After cornering them, they proceed to ask some questions about Momoko, and it doesn't take long for them to admit to her having a horrible personality. Most damningly, they accuse her of stealing someone's boyfriend named Nagasawa for herself. She does this because she only cares about getting a boyfriend. Following this, Kouda and Eriko (I say Kouda's name first because I like her) head to the train station, where they meet Ayano and Shimotakatani in the middle of a love-making session. After kicking them out of the way, the two ask Ayano what she knows about Momoko. As it turns out, they used to play together, but such things came to a halt when Yuma went to a different middle school, and Ayano followed her. As it turns out, Momoko's status has massively changed over time, and Yuma once actively tried to defend her. To go along with this, we cut to Momoko moping in her room while music plays. The track sounds like it's sang by the artist who made the OP, but otherwise distinctively different. Yuma barges into her room and turns down the music she's listening to. Shortly after this, she receives a(n) text/email from her boyfriend and leaves. It has already been two years since the day Momoko decided to go to a different middle school, which gave Yuma some confusion.

The next day, Momoka is approached by three high school punks (one of whom is Nagasawa's original girlfriend) who sent the supposed whatever from Nagasawa to her, which can mean nothing but trouble. Himeji and Ogawa notice the foursome walking along, but they don't do anything about it. Yuma begins to ponder the feelings of her "kid sister" and she begins to want to take better care of her. Meanwhile, Momoko is thrown to the ground and taunted by the punks about Nagasawa. They decide to put more than a little scare into her by threatening her with scissors... to cut her hair with. Momoko then remembers back to when Yuma defended her, and yet, she called her a "weakling" at the same time. As she begins to space out, the girls continue to mock her, and one of them goes in for a swath of her hair. Fortunately, before they can cut any more off, Eriko and Kouda resurface as... uh... actually, even they can't remember the purpose of this act. They fool around for a minute, which gives Momoko ample time to escape... even though she doesn't, because WTF. Shortly afterward, Yuma (the "star performer") barges in and slaps Momoko in the face. She then passes off the act as being proper punishment for Momoka so the three girls won't have to lop her hair off again... and yet she still calls Momoko an idiot after the fact. She then proceeds to insult Yuma and practically everyone else in sight without any warning, and this continues until after the ending credits have finished up. And that's it!

Damn.

So... what just happened?

We witnessed the rise and fall of a middle school student named Momoko Suzuki. She died as she lived, trying to get boyfriends in all the wrong ways. It's fitting to consider Momoko's name as being one letter off from Tomoko, because they both have terrible social skills. Of course, the latter didn't try to steal someone else's boyfriend in an act of revenge, because only God knows how Yuu-chan would react. And, you know, despite this episode having a range more scattershot than a sawed-off shotgun, the lessons it teaches are somewhat applicable to my life. Thanks to me lacking the social confidence to properly make friends, I'm okay if I get them by sheer coincidence, through other people, or on the Internet only. Seriously, guys... Poke will never let you down. =3

Momoko's complex also reminds me of my own sister, albeit mostly in spirit. Yes, "Sister Blatch" is a bit younger and a lot more hormonally charged than me, and she constantly complains of me shitting on her. Unfortunately, she lacks the proper response techniques to fight back, and considering she barely has any friends to begin with (her only real non-relative friend quit her in a violent manner earlier this month), it's a pain she'll have to endure for quite a while. I think we all deserve better, but at the same time, I'm a straw misanthropist, so my opinion doesn't matter.

Stray observations:

• This week's opening vignette: There wasn't one, which a good thing, because some sort of silly sketch with the girls on strange costumes would not be a good way to keep a coherent mood.
    • I still don't get why Ayano would keep up the illusion of Shimotakatani dumping her even when he didn't from the beginning. Does she just like getting mad or something?
    • For a shot of Momoko's middle school soon after the act break, the students aren't even animated! It's completely still. Talk about cheaping out.
    • One of the punks really resembles a boy. I choose to believe they're a fellow crossdresser.
    • Yuma always seemed to be into twintails before she entered high school. They looked cute on her (at least as far as the flashbacks are concerned), though they were a little cliche. On the other hand, the even younger version of her (whom had tiny twintails) looked strange.
    • Man, I'm just so freakin' sick of having to parse this episode over for good details. I apologize for any mistakes caused by my deteriorating temper, which is only possible through my inferred misuse of formatting.
    • Seriously, should I stick the > marks together to help with design symmetry? They look awkward when placed next to the double octothorpe configuration I use for the titles.

Content rating: TV-PGL

The most serious episode of the show yet is very light on content. Virtually all of it was from Momoko's insults. The word "piss" and its associates were used three times: Once from Momoko being mad at Eriko having ruined her plan, another instance from the punk with a short ponytail (shorter than Kudelia's, and you know it) saying how much Momoko pisses them off, and a third use after the ED, as Kouda asked why she was so pissed off. Also, "ass" was used three times: Once when Yuma told off Momoko for playing her music too loud, the boyish student calling the latter a pain in the tushie, and a third instance when Yuma admitted she still couldn't stand Momoko.

Other notable content included Ayano telling Yuma she could shave their "bikini line". It sounds naughty, but upon looking it up, I realized it was just the place where your panties/bikini bottom end(s), and shaving anywhere other than your pubic regions is TV-G material, so I let it pass. In addition, Ayano and Shimotakatani made out, but it consisted of much lovey-dovey talk and no substance. Finally, there was a decent amount of violence in the episode, between Momoko and Yuma abusing each other and Eriko hitting Kouda with the (paper?) fan from Super Smash Bros. as part of their routine, but most of it was either comedic in nature, comedically minor (said fan can apparently cause broken bones, as Kouda found out), or both.

Ratings screencaps: For the opening, it's a recap, and I finally get to show you Momoka's face. The act break shows the girls talking about whatever high-larious shit just happened on Carpool Karaoke.

So... yeah. I'm sorry this ended up coming out late. At least this will probably be the only time it happens, even if it's not a big deal.

[and so the thrill goes on]

I have reached acceptance.

Blatch's Toonami Ratings Timeline

Escalator

• Wednesdays: Squid Girl (in my dedicated thread)
    • Sundays: TBA
    • Random days: Re:ZERO (anime watching thread, w/ commentary on Imgur)

• SwimSuperFan Banned

Girl's High, Episode 7: "An Example of the Terrible Consequences of Hitting on Your Own Students by Mistake"

MAIN REVIEW:

After last week's the last episode's brutal drama bomb, we go back to the fun and fanservice with this effort. I felt like warning you in advance, so please... if you're able to start sucking again, feel free.

Eriko, Yuma, and Ayano are going to the local amusement park so they can swim in a pool. Himeji and Ogawa are going to meet them, but not until the evening, because they apparently spent 8 hours playing "Endurance Uno". Meanwhile, Kouda wants to further her career as an actor by auditioning for a show. Eriko's crew are the subjects of the first part of the story. They put on their bathing suits, and Ayano's is very tight-fitting, which embarasses her just a little. Meanwhile, we soon see the fruits of Kouda's labor: she's starring in a Hero Show... and holy shit, they even call it by the exact name! She plays whatever toku hero is the star, and she considers it to be fine work. After all, many actors got their start in children's productions. I mean, Bryan Cranston acted in various anime dubs and on Power Rangers, and now he's playing Zordon in the upcoming big-budget movie reboot, so why not go that route?

The scene cuts back to Eriko and friends in the pool. Ayano is with Shimotakatani, while the other two happen to not have boyfriends at the moment. They are approached by two men who they believe are hitting on them... but they turn out to be Idol Odagiri and Macho Matsuo! Eriko is embarrassed to have her homeroom teacher hit on her, hence the episode's embarrassingly long title. Yuma also feels unclean at the thought of this development. They soon decide to try and shake it off by going on a really big water slide. Yuma has no problems with it, but Eriko soon finds her bikini top slipping off and water drowning her straight in the face. She ends up toppling Odagiri, and her boobs brush up against him. How embarrassing!

It is here where we cut to Himeji and Ogawa on the local ferris wheel. They are wondering where the four other girls are. Since it is now the evening, they decide to go to the main amusement park area and wait for the three friends and their entourage to arrive. Before this happens, they notice an attraction called "Whirlwind Love Castle", which doesn't open until later on, and it's for boy-girl couples only (SEXIST!). Fortunately, Kouda (in Hero mode) randomly gives Himeji a moustache to fool the employees with. Then, Ayano with Shimotakatani and the other two girls with their teachers arrive to go on the attraction. It turns out that the Whirlwind Love Castle is a game show-like attraction. It seems similar to Takeshi's Castle, but focused on couples, and it's not nearly as difficult. The four couples end up traversing the course in the pursuit of a deluxe plasma TV. In other news, this show is also pretty dated.

In the end, Eriko and Idol Odagiri win the competition... and then they have to kiss. But because Kouda is currently entered in a fashion show (and I have no idea why it came about), and the dress she's wearing has the ability to consume the electricity of an entire town, the lights go off and the "couple" can escape before they have to pucker up. Okay then.

Stray observations:

• This week's opening vignette: Everyone are jungle cats. In picturing themselves as members of the cat family, Ogawa is a cheetah, Himeji is a puma, Yuma is a jaguar, Ayano is a panther, Eriko is a tiger, and Kouda... well, Kouda is a leopard, but she doesn't get as much time as the other girls.
    • Between the Hero Show, the set-up involving around a dated TV, two characters who looked like crossdressing characters who were not crossdressing (but one of them might have been), and the water slide (and the Oxford comma), this episode combined several Squid Girl episodes/general segments into one ridiculous package.
    • Kouda got the idea of a moustache from her Horoscope... and she's apparently a Scorpio. Now that is the epitome of a stray observation.
    • School swimsuits are very "in" right now, and not just for the reason you would think.
    • Yuma's swimming ponytail is pretty cool. I think I actually prefer it to her usual hairstyle.
    • Kouda entering the beauty contest was very random. At least she was able to take advantage of the time after the Hero Shows ended to actively prepare for a role.
    • Nobody told Ayano about the unreliable stepping stones!
    • The credits feature a listing for the guy who designed the hero (or should I say... Hero?) and the monsters they fought, which is awesomely random.
    • I should probably mention that around 90% of this post was written right after posting Episode 6's recap and watching the particular episode. I really needed to stomp it down after missing out on the last one due to my ban. Alas, as of this writing, I still need to start the review of Squid Girl S2E4...
    • Oh god the bugs are making weird noises... yeah, I should get off right about now.

Content rating: TV-14DS

And so we're back to the standard.

This episode lacked swearing (only the typical "dammit"s and prayers to God were present), so it got a more esoteric rating. The D came from a brief mention of Odagiri having an erection, which seems like fair game after looking at various [as] shows able to mention masturbating (Rick & Morty in particular) under a TV-14 rating. Such a thing happened among various seductive shots of bathing suits and bikinis. The S came from Eriko having a nip slip, through the nip wasn't present. A good portion of her sideboob slipped onto Odagiri.

Ratings screencaps: The opening vignette is Ayano as a kitty, since she hasn't gotten a screencap to herself as of yet. The act break is of Himeji and Ogawa's backs against the camera, as they marvel at the Whirlwind Love Castle.

I have reached acceptance.

Blatch's Toonami Ratings Timeline

Escalator

• Wednesdays: Squid Girl (in my dedicated thread)
    • Sundays: TBA
    • Random days: Re:ZERO (anime watching thread, w/ commentary on Imgur)