Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Anime Discussion
6225   40

• Other Anime

alt text

MAL Synopsis:

When a certain man is released from prison, he knows exactly where he's heading first. After falling in love with a traditional comic storyteller's rendition of the story called "Shinigami," he is determined to become his apprentice. The performer, Yakumo, has never taken an apprentice before, but to everyone's surprise, he accepts the eager ex-prisoner, nicknaming him "Yotaro." As Yotaro happily begins his new life, he meets others in Yakumo's life, including Yakumo's ward Konatsu. Konatsu was the daughter of a famous storyteller, and Yakumo took her in after her father's tragic death. Konatsu loved her father's storytelling, and would love to become a performer in her own right—but that path is not available for women.

Sorry to steal it from ya Roxas, but I figured I might as well also remake this topic too. The 3rd member of my Top 3 anime of the Winter season, this has been pretty damn great so far. I love the extended look we're getting into Yakumo's youth. The most recent third episode reminded me a bit of The Wind Rises in that regard, and in a good way. Part of me does wonder however if the framing story in the "present" was even needed. If it would have been good enough to start our story with Yakumo's childhood I mean. Well I guess it'll depend on how much longer we're in the past. Really though, top notch story and emotion here.

• Other Anime

The fourth episode's up. This series remains immediately engrossing as the look into the lives of Yakumo and Shin as young men continues this week. That rakugo performance Shin put on was pretty damn great. I don't claim to know the first thing about it, but that I liked. :D Yakumo doesn't seem to ask for it, but he seems to be quite the ladies man what with the two girls last week, the girls early on this week, and of course Miyokichi. Do we know who Konatsu's mom is? I'm wondering if she ends up with Shin just knowing what we know about the future. Looks like we'll get to see the boys in geisha attire next week. :D

• Toonami

seem like a cool idea

This and Erased have been by far the most engrossing shows I've bothered with this season.

I actually get some Kids on the Slope vibes from the flashback episodes.

• Other Anime

If I'm not mistaken isn't Kids on the Slope set in the 60s? We're probably in the late 40s/early 50s now so that makes sense. The present for this series is supposed to be the 70s or 80s if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, mid-60's :)

The two characters just parallel Kaoru and Sentarou in a way. Especially since Yakumo was constantly nicknamed Bon like Kaoru was :D

Man, I miss the old emojis :(

BUU8800 said:

The fourth episode's up. This series remains immediately engrossing as the look into the lives of Yakumo and Shin as young men continues this week. That rakugo performance Shin put on was pretty damn great. I don't claim to know the first thing about it, but that I liked. :D Yakumo doesn't seem to ask for it, but he seems to be quite the ladies man what with the two girls last week, the girls early on this week, and of course Miyokichi. Do we know who Konatsu's mom is? I'm wondering if she ends up with Shin just knowing what we know about the future. Looks like we'll get to see the boys in geisha attire next week. :D

That's an interesting theory. I hadn't even thought about Konatsu in a while.

Not that I'm complaining, but how long is this flashback supposed to last? I'm kind of ready to get back to Youtarou

• Other Anime

I could see it lasting at least 2 more full episodes, which as I said in the opening post does make me wonder if we shouldn't have just told the story chronologically to begin with.

• Other Anime

Forget what I said, it seems clear the lion's share of this will take place in the past. Another excellent outing this week, that play looked awesome! :D So Yakumo finally has the audience captivated by his every word and move...and it's for a play, not rakugo. Still, this experience will surely help him immensely. Shin really is a great friend, helping him out of his shell like that. Yakumo cleans up pretty nicely as a woman too. :D Loved that first half with Miyokichi too. Still not much interaction between her and Shin though. If the preview's anything to go by seems like yet another girl might become interested in Yakumo.

• Other Anime

Yakumo's having a bit of an identity crisis this week. Ironically, he's able to find his purpose playing female roles both in a play and now rakugo, whereas in his childhood he wasn't able to be a geisha no matter how he tried. It's an interesting flip on the girl who longs to be a boy trope played with much more, including in this show by Konatsu. The women in his life certainly seem to have shaped him, as well as Shin. It's looking like things between Yakumo and Miyokichi might finally come to a head next week, and of course Shin will inevitably get involved as well.

• Other Anime

Kind of a bitter episode this week. We had our usual bromance fluff, which was fine, but also Yakumo's pretty darn harsh rejection and neglect of Miyokichi in the second half. I don't know why he rejected her exactly , but I guess rakugo's his true love. Him not telling her, or even Shin, about that trip until the last minute was pretty darn cold too, but I guess it fits his personality. It was certainly sad to see Miyokichi suffer, begging fruitlessly for Yakumo to take her, and it looks like more suffering on her part next week, as Shin comes in after her. If they don't get together next week, it'll probably be while Yakumo's on that trip. So Yakumo clearly has no one to blame but himself for this lost potential romance. I wonder if he'll regret it after the fact, and how this might influence his also cold treatment of their daughter Konatsu in the present. A present which, by the way, feels less and less necessary/important the longer we stay in this past.

• Other Anime

This post is deleted!

• Other Anime

Well the theme this week seemed to be goodbyes, if not permanent ones, not yet anyway. Mainly between Shin and Yakumo, and Miyokichi and Yakumo. Although going by the preview that latter breakup will drag into next week too, and she'll finally accept Shin. Watching that all go down is rather unpleasant. Frankly I wish it was over and done with by now. Like tearing off a bandage in one move versus slowly dragging it off. I've already given my thoughts about Yakumo's choices. His true love seems to be rakugo, willing to abandon anything else for it. I'm not sure how much I buy into his preference to be alone, given his admitted love of Miyokichi, but he's getting his wish. It just seems like such a waste though to me.

Another goodbye though, more permanent it seems, was between Shin and his dream to be the next Yakumo. His transfer of the fan was pretty heavily symbolic. He seems to have accepted that his life, and rakugo style has too many detractors for such a title to be given, fair or not. Watching them discuss their futures and the future of rakugo was interesting. I can't entirely figure Shin out. I'm wondering why he loves Miyokichi, and how deep it really runs. He claims to love rakugo, but he's not the loner Yakumo claims to be. Maybe he relates to her sense of being an outcast, I dunno. More on that is to come, I assume.

• Banned

I may actually check this out....

These two are honestly so insufferable, they're pretty much made for each other.

I was hoping this story would be over with 4 episodes ago. I am wondering if Yotarou and Konatsu will ever come back ;_; I honestly will be super pissed off if the last episode just glosses over their start into Rakugo or something idk.

Anyway, I really feel for Miyokichi. I'm not that big on Sukeroku, but I'm sure he'll be a much better fit for her. Poor girl.

• Other Anime

Yeah as I've been saying pretty much all along the more time we spend away from that opening setup the more I wonder why we even started with it. It feels more and more like an afterthought each week sadly.

• Other Anime

Pyro_Metal said:

These two are honestly so insufferable, they're pretty much made for each other.

I was hoping this story would be over with 4 episodes ago. I am wondering if Yotarou and Konatsu will ever come back ;_; I honestly will be super pissed off if the last episode just glosses over their start into Rakugo or something idk.

Anyway, I really feel for Miyokichi. I'm not that big on Sukeroku, but I'm sure he'll be a much better fit for her. Poor girl.

This is, I think, only one arc in the series. I imagine we'll go back to Yakumo finishing his story to Konatsu and Yotarou in the last episode, and them pursuing their own rakugo careers in season 2

Season 2 never?

I want to see Yotarou following in Sukeroku's boisterous rakugo, and Konatsu following in Yakumo's racy rakugo.

XBL: TakenIdiot (Destiny & The Division)
    PSN: ishikusui (Overwatch & Destiny)
    t/ @ishikusui

After all that, I'd prefer a season 2 with a lot of focus on these two.

• Other Anime

As would I, but I'd sooner expect to win the lottery.

• Other Anime

Just finished episode nine, and the downward spiral continues as Shin is banished and Yakumo breaks it off with Miyokichi. Of course the shunned two would find comfort in each other. More drama regarding the inheritance of the Yakumo name than I expected, I figured that was settled last week. Well Shin was right about rakugo needing to adapt to survive, but it's never wise to go against tradition I guess, not if you wanna avoid his fate anyway. Miyokichi's pregnant, and time is moving quicker towards her and Shin's eventual ends, like watching a car crash you can see coming but can do nothing about. I'd guess we've got two more episodes left in the past, maybe one.

• Other Anime

Alright finished ten, and it mighta been my favorite episode yet. Far narrower in scope than I expected it to be, but no less powerful. From the overcast opening it seemed clear death was in the air, but the way it took the focus this week hit something with me, struck a chord I guess. The 7th Yakumo's deathbed confession about his past with the 1st Sukeroku really caught me by surprise, but I loved it. The way that whole thing revealed itself, the truth behind the old man's failings, and Kiku's reaction...gah, it was superb! And that deathly performance Kiku put on was excellent. I was actually somewhat familiar with that story too. I could relate to Kiku, and his relishing the silence, the loneliness, it was the best performance seen in the series so far, for me anyway. Just an all around captivating episode, one of my favorites. I was really drawn in throughout, and then that end with chibi Konatsu! So cute! Time for a reunion...and...

But yeah, this really is gonna stay in the past until the finale huh? What a misleading initial premise. :D